what is the best lens

giogogogiogogo Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
edited February 7, 2009 in Cameras
hello every one and nice to be here....
i'm almost biggenr i buy nikon d90 and wanna ask about best lens for (indoor) portrait face+children

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited February 6, 2009
    giogogo wrote:
    hello every one and nice to be here....
    i'm almost biggenr i buy nikon d90 and wanna ask about best lens for (indoor) portrait face+children

Giogogo, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

Indoor portraiture may depend on the number of subjects as well as the size of the shooting area and the actual intended view of the subject(s).

Since you mention "face" I may assume you mean either a "head shot" or "head-and-shoulders".

If you have the room either of those shots looks nice shot with a slight/moderate telephoto lens. On a crop camera like the Nikon D90 that would probably be either a 50mm or 85mm lens. Those lenses allow enough distance to create a natural looking perspective of facial features.

For a small group of head-and-shoulders you might need to go a bit wider in focal length/angle-of-view.

For children you may need both faster shutter speeds and more depth of field, depending on the situation. In that situation I tend to use a normal/standard zoom like a 17-55mm (or so) lens and a moderate aperture. It may also be best to use an external flash used with a proper modifier to keep an appropriate shutter speed and allow a more natural appearance.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • giogogogiogogo Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited February 6, 2009
    ziggy i would to thank u
    and i wanna as about 18- 105 coz i'ts come with camera
    also what kind of 50 mm 1.4 or 1.8?
    thnx for ur respons
    edited February 6, 2009
    giogogo wrote:
    ziggy i would to thank u
    and i wanna as about 18- 105 coz i'ts come with camera
    also what kind of 50 mm 1.4 or 1.8?
    thnx for ur respons

Use your zoom lens to confirm the focal length that you will need.

Either the Nikkor 50mm, f1.4G AF-S or Nikkor 50mm, f1.8D will do fine. Many folks think the f1.4G is better and it does have a slightly better bokeh if you can gain some distance from the subject to the background to allow it to blur.
    ziggy53
    edited February 6, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:

u mean the 18-105?

i will follow your suggestion
    and thanx again

if i get it i'll tell u:D
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2009
    many nikon shooter think the 85mm 1.4 is the best portrait lens out there. This followed by the 50mm 1.4.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
    edited February 6, 2009
    giogogo wrote:
    ziggy53 wrote:

u mean the 18-105?

i will follow your suggestion
    and thanx again

if i get it i'll tell u:D

Set your zoom lens to 50mm and see if that focal length works for your application. 50mm on your zoom should be very similar in its field of view to a 50mm prime lens, even though it will have other properties that are different.
    ziggy53
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2009
    Another option is a Sigma 30mm f1.4 if the focal length on the 50mm f1.4 is too long for your specific needs.
    edited February 6, 2009
    mmm so now i many choice
    but i'm not profisenl to decide
    i want the best and the lens that serive many things spicaly portarit (head and shoulder)
    edited February 6, 2009
    wanna ask about 85 1.8 ist better than 50mm 1.4
    i'm asking for sharpen of face?
    edited February 6, 2009
    giogogo wrote:
    wanna ask about 85 1.8 ist better than 50mm 1.4
    i'm asking for sharpen of face?

They are both very high quality optically. Neither is perfect wide open but both sharpen nicely in post.

It should be more about whether you have the distance for the either lens to get the view that you require or desire. You did say indoors correct? Have you checked the focal length yet using your zoom? You know I'm gonna pester you about this until you do check. mwink.gif
    ziggy53
    edited February 6, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    They are both very high quality optically. Neither is perfect wide open but both sharpen nicely in post.

It should be more about whether you have the distance for the either lens to get the view that you require or desire. You did say indoors correct? Have you checked the focal length yet using your zoom? You know I'm gonna pester you about this until you do check. mwink.gif

hhhha ok ok iwill check ziggy once i finshed my exam but u should to know i'm too biggnirne_nau.gif to do that by myself mean (without my friend help)
    got it mwink.gif
    i'll tell once i gonna check to tell me hpw step by step if i don't bothering of course
  • cabinetbuffcabinetbuff Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2009
    Welcome to the forum, but please drop the "im-speak".
  • Matt518Matt518 Registered Users Posts: 118 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2009
    Welcome to the forum, but please drop the "im-speak".

I was thinking the same thing, but didn't want to say anything in case he/she was from a different country and not too familiar with English.
    Please do not copy, edit, rehost or repost my images without permission.

We must look at it. We're required to look at it. We are required to do what we can about it. If we don't........who will? - James Nachtwey
  • cabinetbuffcabinetbuff Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2009
    Matt518 wrote:
    I was thinking the same thing, but didn't want to say anything in case he/she was from a different country and not too familiar with English.
    I, as many others, originally and even currently, are from a "different country" - that's no excuse to butcher the language. By saying it's not OK to "speak" like this, is not only good for the community, but it's also good for the person in question ...
    edited February 7, 2009
    i will try my best to talk as native spaeker and also thanx for your advice
    also i realy want your advice about lens >>>