Frozen Bubbles

DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
edited February 10, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
It has been really cold here in North Dakota this winter so I thought I'd blow some bubbles. When bubbles freeze they look like plastic. I had a few problems with them in the beginning, but learned to blow them upwards so they had time to freeze before they hit ground or touched anything. Doesn't take long for them to freeze. I took these when it was -18 -- windchill was in the lower 30's. Hope you enjoy them. If you wish to see more:
Dogdotsphotography--Mary Kim- powered by SmugMug

468708577_pFbYr-XL.jpg

468707699_6ynBo-XL.jpg

Comments

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2009
    Very good work. Very interesting subject.....I would never have guessed what they were. We don't see many things like that here in Florida.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2009
    That's what I call super cool! I'd never considered the idea of frozen soap bubbles!

Very nice shots! thumb.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2009
    Thank-you -- I'm glad you liked them :D
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    It has been really cold here in North Dakota this winter so I thought I'd blow some bubbles. When bubbles freeze they look like plastic. I had a few problems with them in the beginning, but learned to blow them upwards so they had time to freeze before they hit ground or touched anything. Doesn't take long for them to freeze. I took these when it was -18 -- windchill was in the lower 30's. Hope you enjoy them. If you wish to see more:

Ohhhhhhh now that is very clever clap.gif
    Now all I need is for it to snow and get freezing cold here,
    hmmmm chances of that happening are like ZERO rolleyes1.gif

The first shot has a feathered pattern on the bubble,
    where as the second shot looks like two pearls.

I'm truely impressed thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    Howdy Mary Kim,

WOW, I have never seen anything like that, very crafty of you, and

really neat looking first shot.

Very Nicely Done!!!
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
    edited February 8, 2009
    Thank you Skippy and Craig for your comments. I'm glad you liked them.

Most of the bubbles I blew that day and the night before took on that cloudy look, but I did have a few that actually had a feather look. I was really hoping they would of kept their rainbow look to them, but no such luck.
  • DJTDJT Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    Well... so much for me trying the frozen bubbles. Our snow is gone and it's 50 degrees at the moment in NE Indiana. As sad as I am at not trying the bubbles, I'm thrilled that it's warmer outside for a change clap.gif
    edited February 10, 2009
    DJT wrote:
    Well... so much for me trying the frozen bubbles. Our snow is gone and it's 50 degrees at the moment in NE Indiana. As sad as I am at not trying the bubbles, I'm thrilled that it's warmer outside for a change clap.gif

Get your bubbles and be ready for next winter :D

Has to be below zero for the best and quickest freeze of the bubbles---the lower the better.
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    I always say you learn something new everyday -- and this is one of the strangest things I've learned but I love it! Who'd ever think -- blowing bubbles and the freeze? I hope you can blow some more and share more examples with us.

Do you need to keep your camera protected from the extreme cold? Or do you do this close to your house?
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    Interesting! The first picture is really pretty :D

These are soap bubbles, right?
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
    edited February 10, 2009
    Pyry and Dee: The bubbles were made with kids bubbles that they blow in the summer time. Cheap....only a dollar at Wal-mart. I used the smallest wand. Although next time I may try a bigger one, but it will need to be really cold and I'd probably need to be on a ladder to give it time to freeze hard enough before it touches anything.

As for keeping my camera warm...I don't do anything. My camera keeps working in the extreme cold without any problems. I do bag it before I come inside and I will leave it in the bag till the next day. It gets really cold and takes it a long time to get to room temp. I was concerned about windchill, but even that didn't effect the performance of the camera. Some days the windchill would be -35+....burrrr.

I do have another photo of the feather look in the bubble that I haven't added it on my site. I do have this one. Can't really see detail in the bubble, but I liked how it was stuck to the end of the grass. Would of gotten a closer photo, but as soon as I walked closer to it -- it broke :cry

Don't know if I will have the chance to get any more photos of bubbles this winter....its warming up clap.gif

There are a few more photos of the bubbles in my Still Life galleries....sorry but they are scatterd in a couple of the galleries if you want to take a look.

I'm happy your enjoyed them :D