Flash Question

2»

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2009
    mmmatt wrote:
    The nuts on my older pro-t are fine, on the newer camera-flip they were plastic and garbage. I carried around a 10mm socket driver in my rear pocket the last couple times I used the camera flip before replacing the nuts. I would take my hand off the bracket to zoom and the bracket would rotate. Finally I replaced all the nuts and I never touch them now. Older or different models of stoboframes may use different nuts or because of the moving parts on the cameraflip it may stress the nuts more... just my personal experience and a $1.00 fix for it!

Matt

Plastic.....now I understand and I would have been calling and writing customer service B**ching at 'em........On the oldest of mine, the RL2000, I had to replce the silicone washers once.....but I figured that would be normal since they were for lubication as well as a spacer.........
    If I found plastic nuts on any camera equipment I'd be replacing quickly and calling the mfg'er complainin'
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2009
    unclejon wrote:
    hm

As for underexposure. Are you suppose to just overexpose in general at night or dark places? Camera never seems to do it right.

My experience is the FLASH doesn't get it right. I have gotten really accustomed to constantly tweaking the flash compensation.

The underexposure is, to me, more distracting that the side shadow. I'd guess it could be improved quite a bit in post, especially if you shot raw.
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2009
    Another great, and relatively cheap option is to get that flash off the camera....

Put it on a stand (or, if it works for you, on the top of the DJ's speakers, if they are higher than the height of a person) and pop it off remotely from your camera. You'll get shadows, but they won't be (as) objectionable.... and in many ways, they will ADD to the photograph.

Almost ALL of my work is lit via simple remote speedlights... it's fabulous. (including my most recent of at a suprise birthday party on my Wedding Photography Blog ... in the next few days I'll put up some from a reception that was off-camera-flash heavy... hopefully it'll be helpful to you - I've got some that include the flashes in the image)

so you carry a stand around with you with a flash on it?
  • FedererPhotoFedererPhoto Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2009
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    so you carry a stand around with you with a flash on it?
    Only as necessary.
    Many times, you know ahead of time when/if you are going to actually need a stand. Either entire gig or for just moments.
    The GDGB stuff on my wedding / photo blog (man, I need to update) ... I was told the images didn't matter much (they needed 20 good ones for the website next year) and the organizers were friends and I knew about 50 people there and really was just looking to have a good time. I knew I wouldn't need stands (or a teritary or quaternary backup, weird or backup lenses, etc, etc) - I just showed up with a backpack containing 2 cameras, a 14-24, 24-70, 70-200, 50 and 85, and 4 flashes....talked to the DJ and set my lights on the top of his speakers. Easy peasy, and fun.
    Cake? Probably don't need it - use the 'walking lightstand' technique I talked about above. Plus, it's such a quick moment, you really don't want to be setting up lights and such... let the day happen, if they are ever waiting on you, you aren't doing a good job. (imho... obviously others (I'd say most) have different philosophies... I have a much more photojournalistic streak in me)
    Grab-shots during a dim social hour? Maybe just bounce, maybe set a flash on a high-top table, maybe just hold it in your left hand... Honestly, most likely just shoot straight ambient with some fast primes. Maybe spend some time setting up some stands for the entrance/speeches/dance?
    E-sessions? I bring a stand if it looks like it'll go late enough where I can get some cool effects... otherwise, no. Esessions are about the connections rather than the images anyway...
    Speeches? Normally I drop a stand somewhere because I just had all dinner to do it. I put another on my assistant. Balance the power from my commander and make it happen. Straight ambient rarely works because many times the house lights are either backlighting the speech giver, or directly overhead.
    Dancing? Sure heck yeah... it takes all of a minute to set up a stand next to the speakers... and your images just have such a better quality (not to mention the mental impact wireless flash has on 'uncle bobs' questioning your equipment, skill, etc) why would you NOT? I can see being trepidatious about stands in precarious places, but hey... do your best and get back to making images, you've got insurance (and if you don't, you shouldn't' be photographing weddings for money!).
    Formals, yep. Of course.... with umbrellas, actually. Still the same style though... speedlight up top. (on one side, I drop a 'T' and put up two there so my power output can come down enough that I can pop off 5-10 in quick succession without worry)
    Some cool 'big' type informal shot with just the couple? If it's appropriate and I have the time... yeah. I try to find good light in the first place... but if it's not there, you gotta make it.

People hire me for the creative and quality images I produce. I use what tools are needed to get that, and nothing more. If I can avoid an extra light or bulky apparatus and make the images I want, I do. If I can't... I don't.
    Sometimes that means I've got 2 stands, 4 flashes and a lot of post... sometimes that means a 4-cell mag-light held by an assistant in a dim church... sometimes it means nothing more than straight ambient with zero post... let your inner vision of the image determine what you need. If you approach it the other way around ("How can I utilize 2 lightstands here?") you'll end up with weaker images and might end up missing it alltogether.... your focus (pun!) needs to be on the image, not the equipment to get there.
    Minneapolis Minnesota Wedding Photographer - Check out my Personal Photography site and Professional Photography Blog
    Here is a wedding website I created for a customer as a value-add. Comments appreciated.
    Founding member of The Professional Photography Forum as well.