Options

Recommendations for upgrading to a better camera?

ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
edited May 28, 2005 in Cameras
So I'm looking to get a more higher end camera... one that's not just a point and click amateur camera, but one that's not like super pro "I know everything about all of these modes" either (unless someone is willing to teach me all the lingo and ways of using the different things x.x I'm the type of girl who takes pictures because I see the potential in them, not because I'm like "oh if I set this thing to that, and that thing to this, etc... then it will look awesome!" though I wouldn't mind eventually becoming that type of person...)... Anyhoo so here's what I'm using now... I'm open to changing brands of camera, etc, etc, though I really do love digitals, so that's what I'm looking to get again... This camera was originally picked out and purchased for me from my dad, so I didn't go through the nit picking that most people do when they buy things that gets them to learn all about different specs...

Any help is appreciated!

I currently use a Kodak EasyShare DX 6340.... it's 3.1 mp, 4x optical zoom, 3.5x digital zoom (so i can zoom up to 14x)...

for a few more specs, i copied this off of a cnet review:

Basic specs for Kodak EasyShare DX6340

Video input type-- Digital camera
Digital zoom-- 3.5 x
Effective sensor resolution-- 3,100,000 pixels
Gross sensor resolution-- 3,300,000 pixels
Optical sensor type-- CCD
Light sensitivity-- ISO 100, ISO 200, ISO 400
Still image format-- JPEG
Lens aperture-- F/2.2-4.8
Interchangeable lens-- No
Optical zoom-- 4 x
Flash type-- Built-in flash
Exposure metering-- Spot, Multi-segment, Center-weighted
Exposure compensation-- ±2 EV range, in 1/2 EV steps
Display type-- LCD display - TFT active matrix - 1.8 in - Color
Battery type-- 1 x Camera battery - CR-V3 - Lithium
Weight-- 8 oz
Service & support type-- 1 year warranty

EDIT:

Basic specs for Kodak EasyShare DX6340

Video input type-- Digital camera
Digital zoom-- 3.5 x
Effective sensor resolution-- 3,100,000 pixels
Gross sensor resolution-- 3,300,000 pixels
Optical sensor type-- CCD
Light sensitivity-- ISO 100, ISO 200, ISO 400
Still image format-- JPEG
Lens aperture-- F/2.2-4.8
Interchangeable lens-- No
Optical zoom-- 4 x
Flash type-- Built-in flash
Exposure metering-- Spot, Multi-segment, Center-weighted
Exposure compensation-- ±2 EV range, in 1/2 EV steps
Display type-- LCD display - TFT active matrix - 1.8 in - Color
Battery type-- 1 x Camera battery - CR-V3 - Lithium
Weight-- 8 oz
Service & support type-- 1 year warranty

EDIT:
Please, please, please, keep in mind that my budget is that of a college senior (who is not 21 though) so while money does not go towards booze... it is still not in high supply, so buying a camera worth 1,000 bucks, isn't feasible. x.x

Comments

• Options
    Sheila SmartSheila Smart Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited May 23, 2005
    For an excellent "Point and shoot" with a lot of features of a dSLR, you cannot go past the Canon G6 (I think its up to that number now!). I owned a G2 for our months and its was a brilliant camera. I sold it because it spurred me to go to a digital single lens reflex.

When looking for P&S, don't take too much notice of the digital zoom aspect. Most digital zooms are hopeless. Optical zooms are OK.

Just check the Canon website or the reviews on DPReview.

Cheers
    Sheila
    Sheila Smart
    Canon 20D and various Ls
    Gallery: http://www.pbase.com/sheila

All the technique in the world does not compensate for the inability to notice - Elliott Erwitt
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2005
    I wouldn't mind a digital with more manual control, I just don't want it to be packed full of tons of manual controls to the point that I'm completely lost when picking it up. Thanks for the suggestion.
    For an excellent "Point and shoot" with a lot of features of a dSLR, you cannot go past the Canon G6 (I think its up to that number now!). I owned a G2 for our months and its was a brilliant camera. I sold it because it spurred me to go to a digital single lens reflex.

When looking for P&S, don't take too much notice of the digital zoom aspect. Most digital zooms are hopeless. Optical zooms are OK.

Just check the Canon website or the reviews on DPReview.

Cheers
    Sheila
    Looked at that camera, looks pretty nice.

Just wanted to add to this post for considering with recommending me something- I really LOVE shooting macro stuff, such as flowers and animals... I love being able to get lots of detail in my pictures.

And also, with that camera suggested, I see that it's good in low-light situations-- this is also something I'm looking for in a new camera, my Kodak is AWFUL in low light...

So yeah, after reading all its specs the Canon G6 is a rather nice recommendation, but I'm a girl who likes to comparison shop- so keep those ideas coming! thanks!

EDIT #2: These reviews for the G6 are superb... sounds like a really amazing camera, and quite like what I was describing that I wanted! Been reading at how it's great at point and shoot, but also a wonderful camera to learn advanced techniques with...it's good in low-light... it's got macro *and* super-macro... the list just keeps going on and on!
  • Options
    Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2005
    You may also want to consider the Sony V3, which is in the same class as the G6. While the G6 has a slight lead in image quality (marginal) the Sony has a clear advantage in speed. It kinda depends on what you're shooting, I think both cameras are very adequate!

Drop me a PM if you want to know more about basic photography (settings of camera and stuff) perhaps we can arrange some kind of MSN workshop for you (depending on the timezones off course mwink.gif)

Cheers lass
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2005
    I saw lots of debate between these two models on Amazon.com when I was looking at them...same thing on cnet.com... There is a bit of a tug towards the G6 though when comparing things currently... anyhoo, here's the differences I'm noticing when comparing the two on CNET's specs pages:

G6 costs a tad less, and is only .1 megapixel lower.
    G6 has more ISO settings
    G6 has more digital zoom power
    V3 seems to have more shooting program options
    More special effects on the G6
    Max shutter speed is the same for both, but minimum goes lower on the G6
    More exposure metering options on the G6
    Additional "bulb" exposure mode on V3, the rest of the modes are the same
    Lots of Status LCD display information available on the G6
    V3 takes MPEG VX videos and G6 takes AVI (Also the G6 can only do up to 30 second clips and the V3 can do unlimited to your card memory)
    Still image format is only RAW and JPEG for G6, V3 adds in TIFF

Lens stuff (some of which I understand what it means and some of which I don't):
    V3 has a 7mm-28mm focal length versus the G6 7.2mm-28.8mm
    Equivilant 35mm focal length therefore for V3 is 34-136mm and G6 is 35-140mm
    The review for the V3 specifically says it does not have an interchangeable lens, the G6 does not clarify
    Macro focus range is 10-50cm for V3 and 5-50cm for G6
    V3 has a lens aperature of f/2.8-4.0 and G6 has f/2.0-3.0 (explain the difference in what this means for picture taking please?)

V3 has a pop up flash, G6 has a built in flash
    Effective flash range: V3: 1.3-8ft, G6: 2.3-16.4ft
    G6 has a remote, V3 does not
    G6 has more video input features
    Auto time for V3 is only 10sec, G6 has 2 sec and 10sec options
    both have hot shoes
    G6 has 2 inch LCD, V3 has 2.5 inch lcd
    memory slots: V3 Compact Flash 1 or Memory stick... G6 Compact Flash I or II

thoughts on these comparisons in differences?

You may also want to consider the Sony V3, which is in the same class as the G6. While the G6 has a slight lead in image quality (marginal) the Sony has a clear advantage in speed. It kinda depends on what you're shooting, I think both cameras are very adequate!

Drop me a PM if you want to know more about basic photography (settings of camera and stuff) perhaps we can arrange some kind of MSN workshop for you (depending on the timezones off course mwink.gif)

Cheers lass
  • Options
    leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2005
    Canon Digital Rebel or Digital Rebel XT....join DSLR world!

Lee
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2005
    Review of the G6

and the V3
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2005
    The conclusion from that G6 review: "If you're in the market for a rangefinder-style prosumer digicam, the Canon PowerShot G6 should be at or near the top of your list of likely candidates. Oh - and if you hadn't guessed by now, the G6 was also a shoo-in for a "Dave's Pick" as one of the better models on the market."

And the conclusion from the V3 review: "Wrap all this capability up in an attractive all-black body with plenty of metal panels and very high build quality, slap a beautiful 2.5" LCD screen on the back, and you've got a really compelling entrant at the high end of the prosumer digicam market. Highly recommended, and an easy Dave's Pick as one of the best digital cameras on the market."

Tough choice.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2005
    I was looking at those, but um, price? Aren't they a bit more expensive? I'm a college student here, not someone on a salaried man's budget x.x
    leebase wrote:
    Canon Digital Rebel or Digital Rebel XT....join DSLR world!

Lee
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2005
    Indeed, currently between those two, G6 is winning a slight bit more, due to the finer macro ability... larger flash effectiveness... and other factors. But I'm still not settled on buying either yet though as spending this chunk of money is not a decision I take lightly.
    DavidTO wrote:
    The conclusion from that G6 review: "If you're in the market for a rangefinder-style prosumer digicam, the Canon PowerShot G6 should be at or near the top of your list of likely candidates. Oh - and if you hadn't guessed by now, the G6 was also a shoo-in for a "Dave's Pick" as one of the better models on the market."

And the conclusion from the V3 review: "Wrap all this capability up in an attractive all-black body with plenty of metal panels and very high build quality, slap a beautiful 2.5" LCD screen on the back, and you've got a really compelling entrant at the high end of the prosumer digicam market. Highly recommended, and an easy Dave's Pick as one of the best digital cameras on the market."

Tough choice.
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2005
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
  • Options
    gsgarygsgary Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2005
    Hi Shima

I have only been into photography for about 3 months now, i bought the Fujifilm S7000 after reading all the reports it cost £310 (about $580 ) cheaper than G6
    19070805-S.jpg
    These are 2 i took this Sunday

22747013-S.jpg

22736413-S.jpg

May be worth a look
    Gary
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2005
    Seems like a rather nice camera, problem I'm having with it on the dpreview review site though is that it's not so great at night shots... and that's one thing I'd like to be able to took one of these days. My current camera is awful with night shots.
    gsgary wrote:
    Hi Shima

I have only been into photography for about 3 months now, i bought the Fujifilm S7000 after reading all the reports it cost £310 (about $580 ) cheaper than G6

These are 2 i took this Sunday

May be worth a look
    Gary
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2005
    The reviews pages are much nicer than the general info pages on dpreview, thanks for the links...

Which would you go with if it was up to you?
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2005
    Shima wrote:
    The reviews pages are much nicer than the general info pages on dpreview, thanks for the links...

Which would you go with if it was up to you?
    A tough choice indeed.... I honestly don't know, I think I'd rack myself on the issue and then get the one that I can get the best deal on... Somehow I feel for the Sony, but for speed I already have a nice camera :D

The one thing I really would do to make the comparison between both cameras is handling both units. Working with a camera probably gives you the best insight which one of the 2 fits your needs.

The image quality is very close, so handling would be the deciding factor for me!

Cheers
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
  • Options
    binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2005
    before upgrading to my digital rebel i owned and love my powershot g3. i still keep it around for emergencies and to lend out to my friends to get extra shots at parties. i would assume that the g6 would be sufficient for your needs without being too technical, but if you wanted to improve your photography skills, you could toy around with the manual settings. plus, you could probably find one second hand for a decent price.

my advice to you: please don't worry so much about the specs of the cameras, they don't tell you very much. i mean, who cares if the camera is capable of iso 800 if iso 400 is already useless. reviews from reputable camera review sites are far more useful than spec sheets, my personal favorite is dcresource.com, he really makes it easy to understand. that's how i made my decision to get the g3 and then the rebel, both were good decisions. i hope that helps.

-barry
  • Options
    david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2005
    Although my everyday cameras are Nikons, I really like the Canon digicams. I have an S1 IS and an S60, both of which are excellent for their intended use.

The S60 in particular (and it's newer version, the S70) produces really nice pictures and has lots of manual controls in case you want to explore photography more. It can save images in Canon RAW which gives you more options when you post process your pictures. I also bought one of my daughters a Canon A95, also a very nice small camera but lacking RAW and manual controls - just what she needed.

To be honest, all the manufacturers make good cameras that would work for you. A lot of the folks here have had great success with the Sony cameras. I've not used one personally, but I've seen some stunning pictures.
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2005
    Shima wrote:
    I was looking at those, but um, price? Aren't they a bit more expensive? I'm a college student here, not someone on a salaried man's budget x.x
    The rebel is nor $699....not much more than the digicam's being suggested.

Lee
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2005
    Boy, getting into a digital rebel doesn't sound like a good idea for someone on a tight budget. The money will keep pouring out for lenses and stuff.

If money's really tight, and you can handle it, I go along with the suggestion of buying a used camera from reputable forums. You can get a used Canon G3 or G5 well within your budget, and they're excellent cameras. I'm sure the same is true for other manufacturers.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    NHBubbaNHBubba Registered Users Posts: 342 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2005
    binghott wrote:
    before upgrading to my digital rebel i owned and love my powershot g3. i still keep it around for emergencies and to lend out to my friends to get extra shots at parties.
    I made this same upgrade path. My G3 has since been reassigned to backup duty. It lives in the truck now for those instances where I didn't bring the DRebel yet still want some shots. For that application (backup) I'd rather have something smaller, but as a primary camera it was wonderful! The G-series really are great. In some ways I believe they are better than the DRebel and possibly even the 20D. I too am very happy w/ both cameras..
    david_h wrote:
    I also bought one of my daughters a Canon A95, also a very nice small camera but lacking RAW and manual controls - just what she needed.
    The A95 lacks manual controls? I have been recommending this camera to friends and family on a budget especially because it has manual controls (Av, Tv, M modes, WB override, etc). That and the ability to take threaded filters are the two most important things for a budding photographer in my opinion. The A95 seems to be an excellent choice from what I've read. As I keep telling people: were I to do it all over again today I'd probably start w/ either an A95 or an A85..
  • Options
    binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Boy, getting into a digital rebel doesn't sound like a good idea for someone on a tight budget. The money will keep pouring out for lenses and stuff.
    that is too true, i dont think you're ready to step into something like that anyway, even though i'm sure you could learn the stuff pretty quick if you had to.
    NHBubba wrote:
    In some ways I believe they are better than the DRebel and possibly even the 20D.
    i can only think of one thing right now: the flip/rotate screen. garsh, i miss that thing. it's really useful at concerts to get that shot over people's heads and can create great angles. now, i just put the rebel in the air, guess, and pray. actually, i use the 420ex's red focus lamp thingy to kinda aim, i've become pretty accurate with it. it's really satisfying when i get a great shot from that technique.
  • Options
    NHBubbaNHBubba Registered Users Posts: 342 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2005
    binghott wrote:
    i can only think of one thing right now: the flip/rotate screen. garsh, i miss that thing.
    How about the ability to shoot in JPEG and convert to RAW after taking the shot by pressing the SET button? Or the ability to zoom in when in record mode review w/o going to playback mode. And switch between histogram and non-histo views in that same record review mode?! I could go on.. 99% of the things I liked better about the G3 are usability nit-picks. I can't think of anything the G3 does functionaly better off the top of my head..
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2005
    binghott wrote:
    that is too true, i dont think you're ready to step into something like that anyway, even though i'm sure you could learn the stuff pretty quick if you had to.

i can only think of one thing right now: the flip/rotate screen. garsh, i miss that thing. it's really useful at concerts to get that shot over people's heads and can create great angles. now, i just put the rebel in the air, guess, and pray. actually, i use the 420ex's red focus lamp thingy to kinda aim, i've become pretty accurate with it. it's really satisfying when i get a great shot from that technique.
    yeah that's another one of the many little things that is winning out on the Canon vs. the Sony debate for me...

and I would very much love a Rebel, but don't feel I'm advanced enough to fully use all of it's abilities so that it would be worth it, and likewise it is a tad more expensive... my cousin has a Rebel (he's out in CA, so I only got to see it briefly when I visited last week... I live in NY) and they are extremely nice, but I know I'm not quite to that level of camera use... when I get better though it sure could be a goal camera...just not yet.

so yeah, so far unless someone really gives me good reason to go elsewhere, I think I'll start saving for a G6 and try to get myself down to Best Buy or Circuit City or something so that I can hold it in my hands and compare it to the other cameras and see how it feels (as was also suggested above)..

You've all been extremely helpful, if you think of more things to point out in my upgrade fiasco, let me know, I probably won't be purchasing it quite yet... I'll probably research and figure out what I want, and then put it on my birthday list so that in August the parental units can help me to get a hold of it... (since I'll be doing a summer language program June 10th-August 12th, so I may not have the greatest need for it quite yet until I get out of that anyway... birthday is August 4th)...

Now that I'm finally home (I just finished driving home from college this evening, I go to school out in IN... long drive...) I can see about driving down to electronics / camera stores and scoping these things out in person...
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2005
    Boy I hope I don't throw you a curve
    but have you checked into Panasonics line of FZ camera.
    That's what I shoot right now. If you would like to see some images from this fine camera just click my link below signature.

Also people like Kirwin, behr shot this camera and you can find many of their shots on this forum as well.
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2005
    Nice pictures, I'll take a look into it, though currently I'm still pulling towards that G6... we shall see... time shall tell...
    bfjr wrote:
    but have you checked into Panasonics line of FZ camera.
    That's what I shoot right now. If you would like to see some images from this fine camera just click my link below signature.

Also people like Kirwin, behr shot this camera and you can find many of their shots on this forum as well.
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2005
    I just wanted to add that I think the biggest pet peeve I have about my current camera, is that it's awful at detecting light correctly... all the lily of the valley's I tried to photograph today were whitewashed, and several other flowers just didn't come out correctly because it couldn't sense the light correctly and so changed the way they looked upon snapping the picture...

are all of these camera's good with keeping colors true to what you see?
  • Options
    SteveFSteveF Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2005
    camera ideas
    Hello,

My suggestion is to get the DSLR that you can afford. You will learn more, have a more responsive camera and IMHO enjoy it much more than the P&S cameras.

After using a DSLR the P&S's will just seem too unresponsive and limited. They have their place (I own one), but when you are really trying to take the best picture the DSLR will most likely serve you better.

If the Rebel is too much, consider a used 10D, or even a used D60. There are a few shooters at fm still using the D60 and posting fantastic pictures.

The canon 50 f/1.8 is about $60. Or there are sigma/tokina/whatever zooms for about $200 if you wanted a little more range. Sure you can buy a boatload of accessories, but you don't have to. Get a camera and a lens and enjoy it.

I bought a 10D about 18 months ago (it was 1500 then - they are about $650-700 used now) and it was the best thing I ever did. Well, ok, not the best thing, but it stood a chance of making the top ten.

My 2 cents.
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2005
    My goal is to spend 500, maybe max 600... but I'd prefer to be closer to 500. I would love a DSLR, though I've noticed they are a bit higher in price... that's really my own delay in thought in regards to that... I may not upgrade right away though either, in which case I can save a little more... so do you think I should do that, wait a little longer until I'm back and working so that I can put that extra bit aside to just get a DSLR instead?

Money is tight right now since the fiance and I are going to be moving into an apartment in August and we still need a chunk of furnishing and such... so until those things are under control extra bits of money going out are a little hard to predict how much I have extra to work with.

EDIT: When I searched for the 10d on amazon, it was 850 starting price for a used one x.x

I really don't want to go too much above my original 500 dollar guidelines... how much of a difference in photo quality will it make?

EDIT 2: Does this come with the lens or not?
    SteveF wrote:
    Hello,

My suggestion is to get the DSLR that you can afford. You will learn more, have a more responsive camera and IMHO enjoy it much more than the P&S cameras.

After using a DSLR the P&S's will just seem too unresponsive and limited. They have their place (I own one), but when you are really trying to take the best picture the DSLR will most likely serve you better.

If the Rebel is too much, consider a used 10D, or even a used D60. There are a few shooters at fm still using the D60 and posting fantastic pictures.

The canon 50 f/1.8 is about $60. Or there are sigma/tokina/whatever zooms for about $200 if you wanted a little more range. Sure you can buy a boatload of accessories, but you don't have to. Get a camera and a lens and enjoy it.

I bought a 10D about 18 months ago (it was 1500 then - they are about $650-700 used now) and it was the best thing I ever did. Well, ok, not the best thing, but it stood a chance of making the top ten.

My 2 cents.
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2005
    A used rebel should be in the $400 range. I had a digi-cam and liked it...the Nikon Coolpix 990. But I LONGED to have the responsiveness and control of an SLR.

Lee
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2005
    I'll say it again...

on your budget, DO NOT buy an SLR. The body is just the tip of the iceberg. The kit lens will quickly frustrate you in its limitations. You are better off and will get better versatility from a nice, all in one digital camera. Down the line, when you have more funds, you can sell/upgrade.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2005
    My 2 bob's worth...

Buy any of the pro-sumer range. G5..coolpix..DMZ-20...C-8080...they all have their pros & cons.

Run it flat out & just keep experimenting over & over & over again until youve reached you limit with it. This 'limit' will come to you in a blinding flash one day & you will be ready for a DSLR.

Its then onto the feeding platform.. with the rest of us DSLR'ers.. that andy walks onto & throws lenses at us on a daily basis to keep us addicted.

Gus.