my first photo post

blaser321blaser321 Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
edited February 10, 2009 in People
Ok well I'm new to photography I did a lot of reading of this forum and looked at all the cc. Of posted photos and soaked in all I could. And was inspired. And now I got the photo bug bad I got my first SLR camera in December 2008 it was a 5dmkII , got two lens 24-70 2.8L , 70-200 2.8 L IS, I learned photo shop CS4 and I got some cheap hot lights and 40” umbrellas and set up a small studio in my small garage and a few thousand shots later I would like to make my first posts for some cc. Of my own the great thing about this forum is the honesty I know that be told how to make it better
this is a shot of a friends 3 year old
[IMG][/img]468959562_S3T7p-L.jpg
[IMG][/img]468853782_c5US6-L.jpg
mom and daughter
468854022_Gbqp7-L.jpg
mom
468854473_krhja-L.jpg
family
468853151_qoEo3-L.jpg
5D mark II, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8 L IS
EF 2.0x II extender BG-E6

Comments

• TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2009
    The pictures in this series look really nice. Great family to shoot. The lighting doesn't look bad at all, but for some reason, #1 and #2 look underexposed to me.

The light in #3 is marvelous. The small hot spots don't bother me at all.

#4 Breathtaking catchlights, but the skin tones look off for some reason to me, maybe you can white balance in camera raw? I set CS4 to raw proccess even my JPG.

#5 is a nice group shot. The father looks properly exposed, but the child and mom look a bit underexposed. I think you could have moved the lights to camera right closer and it would have made a better shot.

All in all, it's a very nice series and I would keep them. Nothing a little photoshop can't fix. Very nicely done. thumb.gif
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2009
    Very nice set. The first two and last shot could be brightened up a little. The little girl's expressions are adorable. Good job.

Caroline
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2009
    Beautiful set! I especially love #1 and 2.

And I think most of us envy you STARTING with a 5dMK2 and L lenses as your first outfit - lucky you!!!!! eek7.gifD
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2009
    wave.gif - welcome to the fun!

You asked for it so here it is (my opinion)

First thing, when posting a number of photos and asking for C&C, it makes lifes easier for all if you would number them.

A general comment - it appears your camera/lens combination is front-focusing a bit. The faces are not in sharp focus but in each photo something closer to the camera is. Have you performed any AF Microadjustments? See link in my siggy for pointers.
    1. Love the pose! She is so cute. The WB is off as is the exposure. Catchlights are nice. Where's focus. At this size, I'm not sure. I grabbed the original - it's over-sharpened a touch and the focus seems to be in the tule of her skirt.
    2. It's a touch over-sharpened, a bit under exposed?. Focus is a bit soft - again, focus is in her skirts. Not liking the pose - too square on to the camera and centered.
    3. I like the pose. To improve, lower the seat that mom is sitting on so she's not bent over. Also, legs are crossed wrong I think. Maybe her left over her right to avoid the sense of an "up-skirt" shot? That would also have hidden the run in her hose. Light on daughter looks very good but mom's face is a touch dark. Oh, and you cut off mom's leg at the ankle. Cropping at joints is usually not a goodness.
    4. Lighting looks very good here and I like the pose. She seems relaxed and like she is actually enjoying the experience. The catch of her necklace - move that out of sight. Also, there appears to be a PP artifact near the bottom of the right side of the photo - like you were attempting to darken the background a touch and you left a brush mark.
    5. Nice family shot and the lighting is good. To improve, the light to camera right needs a bit more power (moving it closer may help but will cause other problems).
    OK - that was pretty heavy. Now, to lighten it up a touch. I went to the gallery from which these are extacted - these are not the best shots in that gallery - you have much better work there. Hmmm ?headscratch.gif My comments above not withstanding, you have some very good work and I'm really looking forward to seeing more - especially once you get some "proper" lighting (the hot lights were a serious handicap here, high ISO, slow shutter speeds, etc)
  • blaser321blaser321 Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    I really appreciate everyone's help and advice and thanks Scott for the extra time you took to look over everything it means a lot to me and I do need some better lighting I see that now. can I get some ideas on what I should get ? I was looking at the AlienBees lights do I need the b400 or the b800's or one of each or one of there package deal or some other brand? were can I find help on
    AF Microadjustments
    edited February 8, 2009
    blaser321 wrote:
    I really appreciate everyone's help and advice and thanks Scott for the extra time you took to look over everything it means a lot to me and I do need some better lighting I see that now. can I get some ideas on what I should get ? I was looking at the AlienBees lights do I need the b400 or the b800's or one of each or one of there package deal or some other brand? were can I find help on
    AF Microadjustments
    AlienBees have done very well for me for a couple of years now. I have AB800 and, for what I do, I don't think I would want the AB400. But then again, I've used my ABs to light an entire wedding reception. For smaller studios, I would think the AB400 will work just fine. By way of example, using my 800s in a room 22 x 11, I've never dialed more than 1/2 power on the strobes - even for lighting the high-key backdrop (which I illluminate at f/13, ISO 100). Alienbees are not "professional grade" lighting - but I've been told they are higher end prosumer grade.

Whatever you get, I might suggest you start off slow. Get one or two lights and a couple of modifiers (shoot through umbrellas, brolly boxes, that sort of thing) and experiment/learn with that. I would start the lighting exploration with just one light - see what you get when you move it close, move it further away, with and without a modifier. Come to understand loop lighting, Rembrandt lighting, butterfly lighting, cross lighting, etc. Once you've got that figured out (more or less) then you can add a second light for fill.

As for package deals, the last I checked (about a year ago now) AlienBee "stuff" costs the same whether you buy one of their packages or piece it together yourself. I do know that if you buy accessories at the same time you buy lights, you get a break on the accessories. Morale of the story, know what you want and buy it as a lot.

Getting a flash meter will be helpful, but not absolutely necessary. There are lots out there at all sorts of prices. I like the Sekonic L-358, mostly because it was recommended to me by someone who's opinion I respect.

AF Microadjustments - just see the thread pointed to by the link in my siggy. I think it may be the most comprehensive discussions of the technique on DGrin.
    edited February 8, 2009
    Thanks agin Scott im on it
  • catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    As for package deals, the last I checked (about a year ago now) AlienBee "stuff" costs the same whether you buy one of their packages or piece it together yourself. I do know that if you buy accessories at the same time you buy lights, you get a break on the accessories. Morale of the story, know what you want and buy it as a lot.

great advice thumb.gif I've been eyeing these a bit but also have Nik's Light workshop where I suspect I'll come home with a list of things to 'get' as well, once I've played with them more. mwink.gif
    //Leah
  • timetogotimetogo Banned Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited February 8, 2009
    they look very nice :)
    edited February 8, 2009
    AF Microadjustments - just see the thread pointed to by the link in my siggy. I think it may be the most comprehensive discussions of the technique on DGrin.[/quote]

I can't find my siggy with the links ?
    edited February 8, 2009
    blaser321 wrote:
    AF Microadjustments - just see the thread pointed to by the link in my siggy. I think it may be the most comprehensive discussions of the technique on DGrin.

I can't find my siggy with the links ?
    In my posting signature, second line, last item on the right. It says somethink like "AF Microadjustment?"headscratch.gif
  • grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,537 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    Nice lookinf series!! The 2nd photo is priceless!! bowdown.gif
    edited February 10, 2009
    Ok I finished the AF adjustments and my 24-70 L was off by a + 12 and my 70-200 Lis was off +6 cool test can't wait to try it
    edited February 10, 2009
    blaser321 wrote:
    Ok I finished the AF adjustments and my 24-70 L was off by a + 12 and my 70-200 Lis was off +6 cool test can't wait to try it
    Looking forward to it as well.