First MAcro Shots: How to Improve?

ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
edited February 8, 2009 in Holy Macro
These are my very first attempts. ISO800 to get some speed left more noise than I expected. I am not really happy with the lighting, its a little flat - how do I get more dynamic lighting?

Please let me know how to improve:

Elk Hair Caddis
469036577_A5A3X-L.jpg

Adams:
469036573_eQBv6-L.jpg

Sulphur
469036657_hv4UM-L.jpg

Nymph:
469036680_jyATW-L.jpg

Z

It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2009
    No Muddler Minnow or Black Wooly Worms? umph.gif
  • ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    No Muddler Minnow or Black Wooly Worms? umph.gif

I can do requests!

:')

Z
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2009
    Well they look pretty good as is- what do you mean by more dynamic lighting ? - more contrast on the subject ?

Were these shot with fixed lights ?
    Brian V.
    edited February 7, 2009
    Well they look pretty good as is- what do you mean by more dynamic lighting ? - more contrast on the subject ?

Were these shot with fixed lights ?
    Brian V.

Yes, I have built a small light tent and use daylight CFL blubs to light. It looks to me like I need the macro version of a hair light shining from behind to sillouette the flie.

A couple more:

469068241_7aErp-L.jpg

469068944_ueRjt-L.jpg

469076643_VFSKp-L.jpg

Z

edited February 7, 2009
    A bit of perspective on size:

469084320_fEYVD-L.jpg

I know you all take shots of much smaller things, but here are the size of these flies compared to a CF card.

Z
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    Not sure if it's because they are slightly larger or because the light is better in the 2nd group but I like them more.

I suspect if I was trying these I would just be using a single off camera flash with different BG colours and different flash angles, but that's how i do most of my macro shooting anyway.

Brian v.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    Zanotti wrote:
    These are my very first attempts. ISO800 to get some speed left more noise than I expected. I am not really happy with the lighting, its a little flat - how do I get more dynamic lighting?

Please let me know how to improve:

Elk Hair Caddis

Adams:

Sulphur

Nymph:

Z

They look fine to me too Zanotti :D

I remember the first time someone told me they had a hobby of Fly Tying, and immediately I had visions of someone trying to hog tie a fly and wondered what the heck kind of sport that was rolleyes1.gif silly me rolleyes1.gif

I like your perspective shot, I had no idea they were that tiny.
    That's quite a talent you have there Zanotti .

Very nicely done clap.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin