Hands

sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
edited February 8, 2009 in People
I had a chance to shoot the young teacher again. I'm working on a project that involves photographing the hands of every student in my daughters' school, and I've decided to do the teachers while I'm at it. These were all taken in the school library.

Playing with shallow depth of field
1.468790735_P3Fio-XL.jpg

2.468774045_hRNdM-XL.jpg

Okay, I tricked him on this one. He didn't know I was focused on his face until he looked up.

3.468769583_7mGUV-XL.jpg

Caroline

Comments

• TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2009
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

He doesn't look too happy in the candid. LoL. Great job the guitar pics look like they belong in a magazine.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2009
    Trevlan wrote:
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

He doesn't look too happy in the candid. LoL. Great job the guitar pics look like they belong in a magazine.

I love his expression! He's been very kind to indulge me. It looks like he'll even sit for me again when we have some sunny weather.

Thanks for the comment on the guitar pics. I really had fun shooting while he played. Since it wasn't during any kind of performance, I was able to get right up in his space.

Caroline
    edited February 7, 2009
    I love his expression! He's been very kind to indulge me. It looks like he'll even sit for me again when we have some sunny weather.

Thanks for the comment on the guitar pics. I really had fun shooting while he played. Since it wasn't during any kind of performance, I was able to get right up in his space.

Caroline

One day we'll all be on stage photographing people. :-) Keep up the great work Caroline.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2009
    Caroline, great shots. thumb.gif

Was the first either a 50 1.4 or maybe an 85 1.4? I LOVE the DOF in that one! My nephew (10) has just started playing guitar and ever since I heard, I've wanted to get this classic shot. Would you mind sharing your EXIF info?
    edited February 7, 2009
    Idlewild wrote:
    Caroline, great shots. thumb.gif

Was the first either a 50 1.4 or maybe an 85 1.4? I LOVE the DOF in that one! My nephew (10) has just started playing guitar and ever since I heard, I've wanted to get this classic shot. Would you mind sharing your EXIF info?

Looks like f /4 or the widest f /2.8 Don't think that was wide open at 1.4 She said she was upclose and personal, so maybe 50mm @ f /2.8-4?
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2009
    That first one - that's a winner.thumb.gif
    edited February 7, 2009
    I was using my 50 1.8 on the close ups at 2.5 - 2.8. Here's one in color shot at 1.8

468762243_hnbdP-XL.jpg

Caroline
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2009
    Caroline, your shots just keep getting better and better. I love these! I actually like the colour shot - the bw is nice, but on this occasion I find the colour more alive (odd from me, since usually I'm a sucker for a bw)

I can't WAIT to see the finished hands project - it sounds amazing! thumb.gif
    edited February 7, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Caroline, your shots just keep getting better and better. I love these! I actually like the colour shot - the bw is nice, but on this occasion I find the colour more alive (odd from me, since usually I'm a sucker for a bw)

I can't WAIT to see the finished hands project - it sounds amazing! thumb.gif

I will DEFINITELY be posting the hands collage before I have it printed on canvas for auction. I'm hoping it will raise a good deal of $$$ for the school's science lab. I'll want all your eyes and critique when I get to that point. So far, I've photographed almost half the kids in the school. Then I'll have to put it together in PS.

Caroline
  • FlutistFlutist Registered Users Posts: 704 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    I was using my 50 1.8 on the close ups at 2.5 - 2.8. Here's one in color shot at 1.8

468762243_hnbdP-XL.jpg

Caroline

I love this one better than the first, and they are both great. As a musician (music teacher in public school) I love that you focused in on the nut of the guitar here!! That is very hard to do because it's so small. I also love guitar shots when you focus right in on the top of the headstock and bokeh the rest of the shot. clap.gif
    ~Shannon~

Canon 50D, Rebel XTi,Canon 24-105L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430EX
    www.sbrownphotography.smugmug.com
    my real job
    looking for someone to photograph my wedding 8/11
    edited February 8, 2009
    Flutist wrote:
    I love this one better than the first, and they are both great. As a musician (music teacher in public school) I love that you focused in on the nut of the guitar here!! That is very hard to do because it's so small. I also love guitar shots when you focus right in on the top of the headstock and bokeh the rest of the shot. clap.gif

You mean kinda like this?

469557549_7WThH-XL.jpg

I'm thrilled to see that musicians are liking these shots.

Caroline