Options

Anybody use background bees?

WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
edited February 7, 2009 in Technique
Hi all. I just expanded my studio lighting. I now have a 3x4ft softbox for main light, a 3x4ft rigid reflector for fill, a 10x36 strip light with grids for a hairlight (both using white lightning x1600's.) Now I bought Alien bee's background bees They are a400's with a honeycomb grid. I am lighting a white background, not quite high key but bright white. I am having trouble with the placement of these. Can someone clue me into height, angle etc... and the "pop" of the strobe is extremely loud in comparison to the x1600's. Is that normal? do you use full power? I did find out that I can't use them with the modeling light....not that I need it.... because the silver light housing gets really hot! and I work mostly with kids when I am in the studio. Any help would be appreciated.
Snady :thumb
my money well spent :D
Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!

Comments

• Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2009
    Check out the first post in this thread. May not provide the whole solution, but should get you started.
  • Options
    WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2009
    Check out the first post in this thread. May not provide the whole solution, but should get you started.

Here is my set up as it is now. I don't have a wide enough angle to show the background but it is white. The background lights look too low? I shoot from sitting on the floor with the kids.

469298116_9tgJq-L.jpg
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!