Asheville Architecture

BMW KurtBMW Kurt Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins
edited February 8, 2009 in Landscapes
My instructor took the class downtown today to study tough lighting situations. It was brilliant day and we did indoor hand held shooting with natural light coming in through skylights. C&C welcome!

469271603_Qjjtf-L.jpg

469282703_H3rZb-L.jpg

469275272_ViSyi-L.jpg

Comments

• photonphoton Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited February 7, 2009
    I like the first one!
    BMW Kurt wrote:

469271603_Qjjtf-L.jpg

I like the first one -- if you were going for lighting and exposure, they were spot on here. That, and I have a soft spot for old ironwork spiral staircases! :D I love the flow of the image around the staircase and the architecture of the right side.

To improve the image, consider cropping off a bit from the left (to hide the sunlit spot on the rail behind) and from the top (to hide the partial lamp bulb). Also, a smaller depth-of-field with a wider aperture would de-emphasize the background with respect to the staircase. Being really picky now, you might also darken / clone out the bright highlights on the top of the second balcony, near the 1/3 line on the left.

Nice work!

Curtis (nice name too :)
    photon
  • TheMightyZogTheMightyZog Registered Users Posts: 115 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    Yes the first shot is great - well exposed and composed
  • BMW KurtBMW Kurt Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    photon wrote:

To improve the image, consider cropping off a bit from the left (to hide the sunlit spot on the rail behind) and from the top (to hide the partial lamp bulb). Also, a smaller depth-of-field with a wider aperture would de-emphasize the background with respect to the staircase. Being really picky now, you might also darken / clone out the bright highlights on the top of the second balcony, near the 1/3 line on the left.

Nice work!

Curtis (nice name too :)

All good suggestions!! I also considered cropping after I posted the photo. All photos were full frame shots. Thanks for the C&Cs!
  • BMW KurtBMW Kurt Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    Crop
    Here is the cropped image.

469937435_ttbui-L.jpg