IMG_4481copy.jpg
"Machine Shop Series - Photo #4"

IMG_4495copy.jpg
"Machine Shop Series - Photo #5

IMG_4498copy.jpg
"Machine Shop Series - Photo #6

IMG_4506copy.jpg
"Machine Shop Series - Photo #7

Full size images and the rest of the series can be viewed in my "Machine Shop" gallery. As always C&C is welcomed and encouraged.
Scooba Steve

Shades of Hyperion photography
Extraordinary photos can not be had standing where everyone else is standing, looking where everyone else is looking

Comments

• NeuralLotusNeuralLotus Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    I think that the second and the third (#4 and #5) would make a really nice diptych if arranged well. I think the lead up from the second to the third builds a lot of suspense, though the suspense is only realized once shown the third. In the second it is hard to see how close they are at first, but then you see the distance in the third, and it makes the drill look invasive, and it gives the image a personality. They are also very good photos technically, but this isnt The Whipping Post, so I... will... just trail off... here....
    Hmmmmm... blarrgh...
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2009

IMG_4481copy.jpg

Full size images and the rest of the series can be viewed in my "Machine Shop" gallery. As always C&C is welcomed and encouraged.

Hi there, this is the one I like out of those you posted, and of the ones you didn't post in your Album I like No. 2 with the Drill and the shavings.

The other image that I like in this post is the #3rd one down,
    I think that shot with a pano cut to it would look much better.

Very interesting Series, bet you had a lot of fun producing these shots thumb.gif

.... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    Howdy Steve,

These made me smile, as a former machine operator,(My Step-Dad wouldn't approve of me saying I was a Machinist, even though I ran machines for almost 10years:D)

Really neat use of depth of field and selective focus, great series, Thanks for Sharing!!!
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    Very interesting and different series. Good work. The only critique I have is with #1. You need to work on the focus on that one.
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • Shades of HyperionShades of Hyperion Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    Thanks everyone for taking the time to comment.

Skippy, I'll have to experiment with the pano crop on Photo #5 and see if I get something I like. Thanks for the input.

Panther, I know what you are saying... after nearly 20 years in machine shops I'm still an "operator".

Jeff, of all the usable shots in this series, Photo #1 was the one I was least happy with. I underestimated the available light in the shop and I didn't grab a tripod before leaving for work that morning. Noise was more of an issue than focus on Photo #1, the shot got muddied up a bit during post processing. It wasn't the most ideal shoot, I was a bit pressed for time and had already put in a 10 hour work day. I'm going to try and clear another session with my boss and try and correct a few of the issues that arose during this shoot.
    Scooba Steve

Extraordinary photos can not be had standing where everyone else is standing, looking where everyone else is looking
    edited February 8, 2009
    Skippy, I tried a few different pano crops on Photo #5 and this is the one that I like the best... I'm still not sure if I like it better than the original full crop though

IMG_4495pano.jpg
    "Machine Shop Series - Photo #5 - Pano Crop
    Scooba Steve

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2009
    Skippy, I tried a few different pano crops on Photo #5 and this is the one that I like the best... I'm still not sure if I like it better than the original full crop though

"Machine Shop Series - Photo #5 - Pano Crop

Looks good to me thumb.gif ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
    edited February 9, 2009
    Skippy wrote:
    Looks good to me thumb.gif ... Skippy :D

Thanks
    Scooba Steve