High forehead, long face

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited February 9, 2009 in People
Ok, so the inevitable has finally happened: I'm taking pictures of somebody who ISN'T a (long-suffering) member of my own family. She's a friend, it's informal, no pressure, anything even halfway decent will be appreciated and we're just planning on having a really fun time but, in my usual overachieving fashion, I'm hyper-researching in the hope that I can produce something a little better than "well, at least we had a few laughs...." :rofl

I have some good ideas for style and posing for her, but she is a VERY different body/face type than anybody I've photographed so far. Absolutely beautiful girl, but completely different structure than I've shot before, namely:

- high forehead
- long, narrow face with angular features
- somewhat asymetrical features
- petite and VERY slender (almost too slender)

I'm guessing that broad lighting will be better than the other way around to give her face more width, but any other tricks for a long domed forehead and very angular features to soften things up a little? As always, point me to articles or search terms if you have any for me. And if you have any examples of what you yourself may have done with this type of face structure I would LOVE to see them to get some ideas regarding flattering lighting and angles.

Bring it on! (and thanks in advance)

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2009
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    PM Elaine.

+1 Scott.

Anybody else... any shots to share... ideas...?

Thanks!
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2009
    Put her on a rotating chair and take a couple of dozens shots, varying the vantage point and rotation. Then upload quickly and check together with her which one works and which doesn't. You'll nail the answers in less than 15 min rather than spending hours researching endless tuts and blogs...

Practice Makes Perfect! mwink.gifdeal.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2009
    PM Elaine.

No fair!! This is a public forum!mwink.gif
    edited February 9, 2009
    Mitchell wrote:
    No fair!! This is a public forum!mwink.gif
    It's quite fair as she has, in previous posts, made reference to it herself. So there!! :lol4:lol

Of course I would never make such a remark if the "subject" of such remark had not already said something of a similar nature.
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2009
    It's quite fair as she has, in previous posts, made reference to it herself. So there!! :lol4:lol

Of course I would never make such a remark if the "subject" of such remark had not already said something of a similar nature.

rolleyes1.gifscratchOK...now I'm a bit confused. I thought I understood why you suggested divamum PM me, but now I'm thinking maybe I was incorrect? But I can't remember when I made reference to this particular topic. Help? :D
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
    edited February 9, 2009
    Elaine wrote:
    rolleyes1.gifscratchOK...now I'm a bit confused. I thought I understood why you suggested divamum PM me, but now I'm thinking maybe I was incorrect? But I can't remember when I made reference to this particular topic. Help? :D
    It was some time ago - you had a avitar up (a SP) taken from a high vantage point and we had a very short exchange about your hairline and how the SP emphasized it. I just went to your SP project to verify for myself that it was, indeed, you with whom I had that short exchange. Yep! Yet again my two gray cells have not failed me.
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2009
    Try a more telephoto lens it can compact the features.
    I use the effect often on people who are blessed with larger noses.

Or try a shorter lens like 28 or 35mm and shoot from up close it can have the effect of widening the face.

One of those methods should help I imagine.
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2009
    It was some time ago - you had a avitar up (a SP) taken from a high vantage point and we had a very short exchange about your hairline and how the SP emphasized it. I just went to your SP project to verify for myself that it was, indeed, you with whom I had that short exchange. Yep! Yet again my two gray cells have not failed me.

OK...that's what I thought. I guess my two gray cells haven't failed me either! rolleyes1.gifBut, the way I remember it, you brought up the high forehead...(and then I felt a bit self conscious about it). I had no intention of emphasizing it. I was just working from a higher angle to...ahem...try and be more flattering to myself in other ways. :D I'm glad you thought it worked out! iloveyou.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
    edited February 9, 2009
    Thanks all.

Just going through the (gahhh) 542 shots I took now. In fact, her forehead wasn't as high as I remembered - although she is quite angular - but it was still helpful comments as it prompted me to consider using a wider angle sometimes, and just thinking a little differently.

I'll be posting some samples later but I have to say ... how do you full-time photogs DO this? I have so many shots, and am happy to say that a lot of them are worth keeping and working on, but I am completely overwhelmed by the *quantity* and trying to keep it organised. My "workflow" (such as it is - trial and error etc etc) has been sufficient for my own needs, but is woefully inadequate when working on something where somebody else is going to have an opinion and wants to see more than a dozen of my personal favorites.... eek7.gifhuhrolleyes1.gifrofl :lol

More later. Assuming I'm not brain-dead and bugeyed by then...
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2009
    divamum wrote:

More later. Assuming I'm not brain-dead and bugeyed by then...

:lurk *waiting with anticipation and popcorn, I guess*
    edited February 9, 2009
    :lurk *waiting with anticipation and popcorn, I guess*

Here ya go.... http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=120406