OT:shooting the Gov.

JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
edited February 10, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hey I know this isn't challenge stuff but since this is the board I spend my most time I just had to tell you all here that I am very excited. I got a call about 30 minutes ago from a director at the small local theater here...he asked me if I could come do a few pictures tonight after the show of the cast of the current play and SARA PALIN!:barb

Well of coarse I would throw my bedtime out to go get a picture of Alaska's govenor! What photographer in their right mind wouldn't?! Now I am not only excited but I have butterflies in my stomach! I don't know why. I have taken millions of pics....this is just a routine shoot. The only thing is I can only keep her there for about 5 minutes after the show. So I cannot bring a tripod in and set it up for my flash.

I will put my sb on my camera and hope for the best. I get two shots! :deal :clap Wish me luck!

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2009
    FAN-FREAKIN-TASTICbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif .........Now don't get a shoulder outta place patting your own back:D :D:D:D:Dthumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Do a walk around with camera set for continous shooting.....by walk around have her stop pose and hold pose except for her head following you in a 180* walk around in front of her this should net a lot more photos and also looks.....remeber she was a model..............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• KurtPrestonKurtPreston Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2009
    All Right!! It's a shame you only get such limited shooting time, but that's a heck of a opportunity!
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited February 7, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    FAN-FREAKIN-TASTICbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif .........Now don't get a shoulder outta place patting your own back:D :D:D:D:Dthumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Do a walk around with camera set for continous shooting.....by walk around have her stop pose and hold pose except for her head following you in a 180* walk around in front of her this should net a lot more photos and also looks.....remeber she was a model..............

Hey Art....On continuous shooting do you think my sb800 can keep up with me???? Seems I can only get a couple shots before the thing has to recharge. I am not allowed in the theater with the camera until its over...then I have to move quickly. I wont be able to use the flash till the audience clears. Man I tell you...I am really starting to sweat. I went through all my equiptment that I am bringing. And did some palimanary shots to be sure my settings are ok with the flash. Now I am wondering if I should keep my red eye on on the flash.....I second guesing myself like crazy. The lighting on the stage comes out orange (I know from other shoots I did for them)......I usually do a manual wb setting but the printer they use doesnt do pics well...
    Gosh I can go on and on cant I? Thanks for the vote of confidence!thumb.gif
  • ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2009
    Wow! What a fantastic opportunity! I have no doubt you will come away from it with awesome pics! Good luck....you will be sharing, right?
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
    edited February 7, 2009
    All Right!! It's a shame you only get such limited shooting time, but that's a heck of a opportunity!
    Thanks Kurt. I am just passing my time here so I wont go batty. I know when it comes down to leaving I will keep my head about me. I have met Sara before when she was mayor...but never took her pic before. I think I will charge the theater extra for the late hour....mwink.gif
    edited February 7, 2009
    ic4u wrote:
    Wow! What a fantastic opportunity! I have no doubt you will come away from it with awesome pics! Good luck....you will be sharing, right?

Oh I will put these in their own gallery. I drop a link here when I get them all done. Thanks for the good luck wishes!
    edited February 8, 2009
    OK>....that was much harder than I anticipated. Several problems arised that were not anticipated by me...

1. I arrived earlier than 10pm (which was about when the show would be done) and it was still intermission. When I see the director I asked him if he was certain he got permission for me to take pictures. He said he hadn't asked yet. I told him he was killing me and he better get in there and ask. I am assuming he did. So I go in and sit in the theater to watch the rest of the show.

2. At the close of the show I grab my camera and set the iso high because the house lights were not very high and Sara was not up front where I expected her..but center stage up toward the top row of the audience. She was immediately bombarded by people. I tried to snap a few off from where I was but it was just too dark. So I grabbed my flash and lowered the iso back down.

3. By this time Sara is by the stage greeting the cast members. I turned my flash on and got to stage level. Thus the next problem....I am only 5ft and I couldn't see where she was because of the forest of giant people! I ended up just getting up on the stage and squeezing between cast members. I snapped as fast as my camera would let me.

4. My camera couldn't keep up! I was shooting in raw as well as jpeg knowing that post processing was inevitable with the poor lighting situation. Between the camera processing and the flash having to charge every 3 or 4 shots...I was somewhat unhappy with the performance. I will have to refer to the manual to see if it was something I was doing wrong.

5. My flash was annoying Sara. She didn't come out and say it...but she gave me a side glance and a questionable look. I backed off some because I didn't want to be rude. After all...I am still wondering whether the director did his part and asked permission.

6. Even though the theater has a strict policy about cameras in the theater...there was one guy other than myself who had a camera. Now I am the paid photographer...and I asked him nicely to let me shoot first since I was invited there to shoot and he just happened to have a pocket camera with him. Well...long story short...quite a few of my shots have ghosts from him taking a picture at the same time I was.

7. From start of shooting to the last picture taken...I only had 5 minutes. I am not kidding! Thats it. From the end of the show till she walked out the door. I took a cast picture and another picture of cast and crew with her. Of which..one of them was ruined by the guy with the other camera...I managed to salvage them somewhat...but I am embarrased by the quality. Just too much pressure and not enough cooperation with this other guy. I actually felt like smacking him!

Anyway...I was so excited when I finished...Sara came over to me and I shook her hand. I thanked her for being such a gracious person to let me take pictures of her with the cast. I handed her my card and told her if she ever was looking for an average "joe" type photographer...give me a call. She laughed and thanked me. So all in all it was all good! thumb.gif

Thanks for letting me go on and on!

The album can be found HERE.
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    All facts considered, I'd say you did GREAT! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

PS. One thing I'm learning - when there's money involved, always expect it to be way more difficult than you'd planned (or...why I don't shoot weddings!)
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• KurtPrestonKurtPreston Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    I agree with Emily, considering the rush and the obstacles ... you did fantastic! I especially like the cast and crew posed shots with Sarah. Did you get to arrange them?
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    clap.gif Joyce, in spite all the obstacles, you did well! Great series!
  • The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    Fantastic opportunity and I agree with Kurt and Emily. YOu did great.

Peace, gail
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    Bravo! I think you should be pleased with the results! I am sure the theater and the cast will love the results. Your frustration doesn't show at all in the photographs. These photos have a nice friendly, warm almost spontaneous feel to them - not stiff. And the guy with the tiny camera taking a photo in one of them just made me chuckle. Welcome to the 21st century. There is at least one in every crowd.

Be proud.

Virginia

Email
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    Fantastic job, Joyce - theatres are almost ALWAYS nasty photographic conditions, and when there's the added pressure of "celebrity" it's always hectic and tough... and you got some GREAT shots - bravo!!!clap.gif
  • slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,215 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    Wonderful opportunity & great job carrying it out. I think you did quite well, even if circumstances were less than optimum. Pretty good for a rush job, huh?!!clap.gif

Sherry
    edited February 8, 2009
    Thank you all for your kinds words! I didn't post the people at all...the cast pictures were what I consisder "spontaneous pose". They all knew that they would get a cast picture if they were there and we wouldn't have all that much time. So when the director (the guy on the cameras left of Palin) asked if she would do that (yes he did ask...after I started taking pictures. You can see that in one of the candids)....it litterally was a mad rush for everyone onto the set. Thing is I...I had taken their usual cast photo a few weeks ago. So they just all came in an most of them stood the way I directed them the first tiem. Like a well oiled machine.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    I am soooooo sorry I was unable to get back to you before now......if you get a chance to purchase a Quantum Battery Pack for the SB800 do so....they are a headache saver......you could have fired off continuously until your cameras cache was full......as for the jerk with the ps ......what Ihave done in the past is take a photo of the idiot, when asked why...for eveidence of who ruined my photos for the layers that are going to sue your *** off ....... normally stops'em dead.....I only talk that way after being sickening sweet at first......then the mean and nasty comes out and I have a look that has brought down grizzlys to their knees (any way that is what I have been told:D:D).......as far Gov. Palin not liking the flash....wel it just comes with her job and she needs to get very used to it.....of course she may have been perturbed by the p/s shooter.

Sound to me like to did a very good job......never worry about red eye LR and PS can take of it easily and I think even picassa can also......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    as for the jerk with the ps ......what Ihave done in the past is take a photo of the idiot, when asked why...for eveidence of who ruined my photos for the layers that are going to sue your *** off ....... normally stops'em dead.....I only talk that way after being sickening sweet at first......then the mean and nasty comes out and I have a look that has brought down grizzlys to their knees

Not sure I have such a look, but I LOVE the response. thumb.gif when they don't listen to politeness, I'm willing to go a step further. :rambo Muahahahahaha!
    //Leah
    edited February 8, 2009
    Good ideas Art. I thought about getting in the guys face for about a split second....but I decided just as quickly I didn't have the time to make a point...I needed to get in as many pictures as my camera would allow.

You are right about the red eye. That is mostlikely what slowed the flash down. I hadn't thought of that. Next time (if there ever is another opportunity) I will know better.thumb.gif
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    Congrats girl! And nicely done too! How was the end of the play? I might see if I can get some tickets........rolleyes1.gif
    edited February 10, 2009
    Thanks Heather. Actually it was a great show! I had seen it on the second Friday performance since we are season ticket holders. Well worth the cost for an evening out! Their last show is on the 15th so not many days left if you decide to go. One of the pics is suppose to be posted on the govenors site plus another is suppose to be published in the paper for promotional use for the theater. But I haven't heard or seen confirmations yet.

I did some pp on one of the images...HERE. The comparison is next to it in the album. What you think? You'll have to ignor the watermark for now.
  • KwartaKwarta Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    Considering what you had to go through, you did a fantastic job. Love the PP btw.
    http://kbkphoto.com/

There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept.~Ansel Adams