It's a write off

Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
edited February 8, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Three weeks ago Thursday, I got the phone call I had dreaded: "Mommy, (crying), I don't know what to do, I hit a tree".......and much other panic stricken, terror filled words. My daughter lost control of her car on a narrow residential street and likely overcorrected, ended up sideways against a fairly large tree. Road conditions = lousy, inexperienced driver = :rolleyes

Anyway, she wasn't hurt, was taken in to someones home while I drove to her, and at the end of the day, it was just an accident.

The side airbags went off, there is damage to front quarter panel, door, bumper and maybe the frame. Less than 10K kms on a 2008 Sentra.

Total write off!

Does it look like it to you?

465226185_9tWXN-L.jpg

465226952_xvjBD-L.jpg

465228491_HRCfB-L.jpg

465230762_MyyED-L.jpg

465233337_ktgVe-L.jpg

Sigh. Next yrs insurance could be a doozy.

Comments

• NomadRipNomadRip Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2009
    Glad she was able to make the call. They sure don't make cars like they used to, but glad they are as safe as they are.
  • Kyle DKyle D Registered Users Posts: 302 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    I'm very glad that she's ok. The car doesn't look that bad at all, I've seen much worse in my time working in body shops.

Unfortunately, that's how most insurance companies work these days. It's a lot easier for them to right it off than it is two pay for the repairs. I don't know why this is but this has happened to numerous people I know both with brand new cars and old ones too. It really sucks.
    Kyle D.

Not allowed to enter Henry's alone anymore...

Kyle Derkachenko Photography
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Three weeks ago Thursday, I got the phone call I had dreaded: "Mommy, (crying), I don't know what to do, I hit a tree".......and much other panic stricken, terror filled words. My daughter lost control of her car on a narrow residential street and likely overcorrected, ended up sideways against a fairly large tree. Road conditions = lousy, inexperienced driver = rolleyes1.gif

Anyway, she wasn't hurt, was taken in to someones home while I drove to her, and at the end of the day, it was just an accident.

The side airbags went off, there is damage to front quarter panel, door, bumper and maybe the frame. Less than 10K kms on a 2008 Sentra.

Total write off!

Does it look like it to you?

Sigh. Next yrs insurance could be a doozy.

Ohhhh dear eek7.gif glad to hear your daughter is okay Ann.
    Accidents happen, and lessons get learnt the hard way sometimes.

She's lucky the tree hit more to the front panel than into the drivers door ....hooray for airbags I say.

You can always replant a tree and get another car, but you only get one life......... I'm glad your daughter walked away unharmed.

....... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • bobwbobw Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    The air bags and their sensors are probably what Totaled it out....they are very expensive. Unfortunately that is what causes many to hit the bone yard.
    BobW
    Dallas,Tx
    Canon gear and Manfrotto tripods
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    Hi all - yep, we are very thankful that she wasn't hurt!!!!

It was the airbags that totalled it. If damage is >2/3 of replacement, then it is totalled. Replacement is about $20Kcdn, each airbag is $2K and there are 4 on the side. Add the body parts and well, it is over 2/3. ne_nau.gifne_nau.gif

Many usable parts to repair other Sentras, I guess.
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    I think the tree won.

I know all about that phone ... my daughter was an inexperienced driver, wet conditions (in California the first rains bring up the oils in the pavement making conditions a bit more slippery than just rain alone), she spung out on a transition road curving away from one freeway to another.

Fortunately she and passengers were okay and her Camaro was repairable.

Gary
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Van IsleVan Isle Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    Damage doesn't look bad at first glance, but then you realize it's everywhere and in main structural parts like the a-pillar. With these unibody vehicles small damages in the right (wrong? ne_nau.gif ) areas mean the whole integrity is gone. As far as safety goes, you'd rather get a new car than drive this one around after repairs. It's NOT just bodywork. Not to mention airbags, hood, doors, front quarter panel, lights, electronics, and all the other stuff we can't see. It's obviously cheaper for the insurance company to do it this way, and it's likely safer for you and your family.

Be glad she could make the call.

VI
    dgrin.com - making my best shots even better since 2006.
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    As much as I prefer older cars to newer ones, you can't beat the safety features of the new. I'm happy to read that your daughter came out unscathed, other than the scare. Sorry about the car.
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    I'm so glad your daughter is all right.

I remember my first accident, so hope she isn't so upset that she has trouble driving again.

Recently my younger daughter totaled her car. She was hit in the middle of an intersection by someone trying to beat the already red light. And, they had a baby in the car! She is still a little cautious every day she goes to work and has to go through that intersection.

And yes, your insurance rates next year will be a doozy! :-(
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    Howdy Ann,

So glad to hear your Daughter wasnt' hurt, and that's all that's important.

Kindest regards,

Craig
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    Glad your daughter is okay.

I had a 2002 Maxima that was 6 months old (new!). My daughter ran into the back of a pickup truck and the insurance company decided NOT to total it. The estimate was $12k to repair but it turned out costing $17k. The car had cost $23 new! eek7.gif

I was so unhappy that it wasn't totaled. And it never was the same car. It wore out brakes all the time and it seemed like the alignment was always off. Somebody else now owns that problem!

So, in some ways I think you're lucky.
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    So glad your daughter is ok. What a scary thing to happen.

Virginia

Email
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the nice messages. Yes, we are thankful she is okay, and relieved that we can be sure her vehicle will be road worthy. clap.gif

It was such an innocuous situation, and at first blush looks like not much damage, that the 'write off' came as a real surprise!

winter driving is almost over (only 2 - 12 more weeks :D )

ann