799-r3331.jpg
Anybody can do it.

Comments

• TheMightyZogTheMightyZog Registered Users Posts: 115 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    lovely captures - thank you for sharing
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    Wandering with a camera and no one else around - that's like heaven! Good shots. thumb.gif
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    Such a beautiful place to wander!! Great shots!!
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    Thank you Chris, Jeff, Lauren;

I try to plan all my shooting at times when there is no one around. Shooting in groups is ~ok, and I'm done it a few times, but there is nothing like spending time to myself and exploring at my own speed and with my own priorities.

This little adventure lasted only maybe 3 hours. I went and made camp in a developed campground which I try not to do (I prefer backcountry). The campground was practically empty because a storm was moving through and everything was quite wet. I spent the evening listening to talk radio, keeping the fire up, dodging intermittant light showers and dining on shrimp cup-o-noodles, smoked oysters, Fritos and washing it down with spicy tomato juice and hot coffee. About an hour before dawn I made myself a cup of coffee, packed up and left for the location I spotted the night before. Four more hours to myself wandering up another empty canyon.

After I moved on it started raining pretty hard. I sat near a normally dry lake watching water stream in. I walked around and spotted a few potential shots and ate some lunch (pecan sandies and milk). The rain didn't let up so I left. The rain stopped after I was about a mile or so away. Rather than go back, I drove on to a little living ghost town I like to visit.

I'd like to think I would do this forever. Truth is, I was cold, sore and tired and the storm wasn't breaking. I stopped and took a couple more shots on my way home. Of course, coming over the ridge into the valley where I live, the sun broke through bright and brilliant. I pulled into the driveway and started to unload, and the sky slammed shut and it started pouring.

All day long it's been all gray and featureless. Bwaaahaaahaaaa!

I'm going back out Tuesday.
    Anybody can do it.
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    Those are sweet, I really like the composition of the first with the rock in the foreground.

And... I agree, the flexibility and freedom of shooting by yourself can't be beat (shooting with others is OK for different reasons, but I prefer to be alone when I'm shooting landscapes). I'm always a little bit in awe when I stumble on a great scene and I know that I'm the only one on the planet that's witnessing it.