Poison Ivy

ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
edited February 16, 2009 in People
One of my colleagues plays in a band and needed some shots. I had a long, brutal session with them yesterday; Very little light, very little space. I may want to reshoot at some point at a location of my choosing :D I'm still going through them, but this one sort of stood out for me, even though I see several things I'm not crazy about. What do you think? what should be improved? :ear

469699805_pxKEh-L.jpg

Comments

• Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    Very little light...
    Very little space...

translated into a really great image!

I think that's what makes this image!

Only nit would be the woman in the front in addition to the one on HER left, seem to be looking @ or @ least towards the camera. The other is obviously looking away.
  • FlutistFlutist Registered Users Posts: 704 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    ITA with above post. I think if we could see as much of the face of the woman camera right as we do the woman camera left and they were both looking in generally the same away look, it's a great picture. I've got to photograph my husband's band soon and you've given me a posing idea. thumb.gif
    ~Shannon~

Canon 50D, Rebel XTi,Canon 24-105L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430EX
    www.sbrownphotography.smugmug.com
    my real job
    looking for someone to photograph my wedding 8/11
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    Thanks guys thumb.gif

Yes, that's (for me) the biggest problem, I think, the unevenness of the two people in the bg. I have a few similar shots, but this one is the best I think. I don't have one where the blond person is looking more my way, unfortunately. I also don't have one where the right person is more to the right..... headscratch.gif The only thing I can think of to make it more even is to PS the blond person more to the right?
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    Ivar, good posing, but you need more lights, brother:-)
    Watch for the "triangles of light" (front girl nose). Unlike Illuminaty's, it's definitely not a good thing to have.
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2009
    IMO I'd like to see the two ladies in the back more in focus. Otherwise, great photoclap.gif
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2009
    Darken the face on the right, lighten the one in back left to be brighter than the face on the right.
    Then lighten the face in the middle to be the brightest of all.
    The composition works but the lighting needs some work.

Good start.
  • GrlyGrly Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2009
    I think that this is a pretty neat idea but like the others have said, the 2 ladies in the background should be more symmetrical. The one on the right looks a little like a floating head and her eye is cut off :( Still a very neat photo though!
    edited February 16, 2009
    Thanks for the comments bowdown.gif This was actually my first ever shoot (all others were candids, or things that I 'found along the way'), and it was scary as ... well, anything that's scary really. I see and agree with just about anything mentioned above.

I think I may want to re-shoot this at some point, if they'll let me lol3.gif
    Nikolai wrote:
    Ivar, good posing, but you need more lights, brother:-)
    Since I have no lights other than one flash, I agree with you :D
    edited February 16, 2009
    Two more from the shoot:

471984690_rQ8cS-XL.jpg

471985723_Hfb7t-XL.jpg