Holy lights and darks, Batman! (#18)

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited February 8, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Was just browsing the #18 gallery and :jawdrop

This is suuuucchhhh a high quality round of entries - just about every image is a winner!

The wealth of talent in this place is amazing. :clap:bow:clap:bow:clap:bow

Comments

• slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,215 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    Yup...15524779-Ti.gif

At least you have an entry included. I haven't liked anything I've done this time. :nah

Sherry
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    slpollett wrote:
    Yup...15524779-Ti.gif

At least you have an entry included. I haven't liked anything I've done this time. :nah

Sherry

I agree- plenty of great photos in this round. I'm proud of myself for finally working up the courage to enter. I'm going to try to do more going forward. I think it will definitely push me to become a better photographer.

Caroline
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited February 8, 2009
    gonna make shearstone and Nikolae work!hehehehethumb.gif
  • brocotbrocot Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Was just browsing the #18 gallery and :jawdrop

This is suuuucchhhh a high quality round of entries - just about every image is a winner!

The wealth of talent in this place is amazing. clap.gifbowdown.gifclapbowdown.gifclapbowdown.gif
    15524779-Ti.gif It feels almost uncomfortable to participate .....:whew (for a amateur like me).
    But: "to participate is more important than to win"
    The challenge is still a great thing to do for me. It brings me over my limits.
    Nikon Z5 - D7200/Nikon AF-S DX Nikkon 10-24mm/10-24dx/105mm prime/Nikon 200-500sb900/
    Hello, :thumb Mi Smug :
    http://erikgodderis.smugmug.com/
    http://www.godderis.be
  • Velvet-ArtVelvet-Art Registered Users Posts: 292 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    brocot wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif It feels almost uncomfortable to participate .....:whew (for a amateur like me).
    But: "to participate is more important than to win"
    The challenge is still a great thing to do for me. It brings me over my limits.

I feel the same way, I try to enter the challenge as early as I can so that there's less of the great talent on display to put me off, I think if I left it until now I'd feel really intimidated by the tremendous imagery on display now in the challenge gallery.

But I really like the challenges, they are making me think a bit harder about my photography, and I think it's making me improve a little too thumb.gif

Tim
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    Hey Diva. You made me think back on entries I have made in dGrin challenges over the years. Two stand out because I worked especially hard from concept to execution to get what I wanted. When it worked out, it was like winning the lottery.

The first dates back to August 2005 when the challenges were more relaxed and a lot less competitive. I don't even remember what the theme was for this particular photo, but I wanted to take a picture of a martini with lemon. It took me a couple of days to get it more or less right. The satisfaction was absolutely wonderful. (I don't even drink martinis!)

This is the photograph taken back in the days when frames were allowed!

32938551_y6oq9-L.jpg

I can see things I would do differently now (a revised version of this could be entered in the current challenge!), but I learned a great deal from the experience.

The second entry that has given me that sense of satisfaction is the one I have entered in the current challenge. I learned so much making the photograph. I spent the time to think everything through, then worked it until I got what I was looking for. I'm sure that 4 years from now I'll look back on the photo and think - I can do better than that now - but the sense of accomplishment right now has been very rewarding and there is no doubt in my mind it has made me a better photographer.

It is really true. You don't have to win the contest to be a winner.

So, yeah, the field is scarily impressive and there are more to come before the deadline. But what glorious company to be in.

Virginia

btw, Diva, do you think you could reenter yours so you aren't right next to mine? rolleyes1.gif

Email
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    Flyinggina wrote:
    d!

It is really true. You don't have to win the contest to be a winner.

So, yeah, the field is scarily impressive and there are more to come before the deadline. But what glorious company to be in.

15524779-Ti.gif

No disagreement from me! As anybody who's been around since I joined this little band knows, I got more or less prodded off my fly-on-the-wall position by accident, since I was convinced I was destined to be a permanent lurker. But I am SOOOOOOO glad that achambers and jeffreaux DID encourage me to stop lurking and join in because I've learned more than I ever would have just watching! It's kind of what started this photographic journey "for real" for me - I was more of a passive observer before that, but once I started working on the assignments for the challenges, it all started to make sense and each and every challenge has acted as a little lesson in some aspect of photographic technique propelling me ever forwards (and ever more enthusiastically). I absolutely love it!
    btw, Diva, do you think you could reenter yours so you aren't right next to mine? rolleyes1.gif

Mutual admiration society, I'm afraid, as I absolutely LOVE your entry bowdown.gif(and am tickled pink you went with that title in the end, as I think it fits it perfectly!)