Options

Mac Display Calibrator Assistant Crash

TanukiTanuki Registered Users Posts: 184 Major grins
edited February 24, 2009 in Digital Darkroom
I have a late 2008 MacBook Pro and I'm trying to use the Display Calibrator Assistant. However the assistant crashes when I try to continue to the "Name Profile" page. It doesn't seem to matter whether I am using it for an external monitor or the MacBook display, it crashes every time. If anyone else has the late 2008 model MacBook Pro, I would appreciate if you could try the Display Calibrator Assistant to see if you are able to create a new profile.

Mike

P.S. I am planning to get a hardware calibrator for my monitor, but am temporarily on hold while I figure out what to do about the compatibility notice on the NEC website that says the SpectraView II software does not work with the mini DisplayPort adapter. So in the meantime, I would like to use the Display Calibrator Assistant.

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,218 moderator
    edited February 20, 2009
    thread bump
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2009
    This is a wild guess, but since it happens when you try to name it, I wonder if there is a problem with the folder it is trying to save to. Such as a permissions problem that you might check with Get Info.
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2009
    Thanks guys, for reviving my thread.
    colourbox wrote:
    This is a wild guess, but since it happens when you try to name it, I wonder if there is a problem with the folder it is trying to save to. Such as a permissions problem that you might check with Get Info.

I have read privileges for the "~/Library/ColorSync/Profiles" folder and the system has both read and write privileges. Not sure if this matters, but I can only see the generic profiles in this folder. I cannot see any of the hardware specific profiles.

Here's a quirk I found with the ColorSync application. Under "ColorSync -> Devices -> Displays", I can open the "Factory Profile", but I cannot open the "Current Profile" which I created using ColorMunki Photo. However when I go to "Profiles -> User" I can open the profiles I created with ColorMunki Photo.

I'm not sure what to make of all this. Since I now have a hardware profiler it's almost a moot point, but it's still bothersome that it's not working. I might take it in to an Apple Store to see what they think.

Mike
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2009
    Tanuki wrote:
    I have read privileges for the "~/Library/ColorSync/Profiles" folder and the system has both read and write privileges.

Just read privileges? On my system (10.5.6),

~/Library/ColorSync/Profiles

Sharing & Permissions
    is set to
    "You can read and write"
    Me - Read & Write
    staff - Read & Write
    everyone - Read Only

/Library/ColorSync/Profiles

is set to
    "You have custom access"
    system - Read & Write
    admin - Read & Write
    everyone - Read Only
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2009
    colourbox wrote:
    Just read privileges? On my system (10.5.6),

Sharing & Permissions
    is set to
    "You can read and write"
    Me - Read & Write
    staff - Read & Write
    everyone - Read Only

is set to
    "You have custom access"
    system - Read & Write
    admin - Read & Write
    everyone - Read Only

I just tried again, and find that I get different privileges depending on whether I open the "Finder" or the "Macintosh HD". In the latter I get the same result as you. I also see the hardware specific profiles that I didn't see with the "Finder".

If you use the Finder, do you get the same result as my previous post?
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2009
    Tanuki wrote:
    I just tried again, and find that I get different privileges depending on whether I open the "Finder" or the "Macintosh HD".

I'm not sure what you mean, since all of this is in the Finder. Do you mean the method you use to open a new folder window? If you open a new folder window by clicking on the Finder icon in the Dock, and it opens up to your Home folder, then that's only because it's set to start there in Preferences. If you double-click Macintosh HD, then you always start at the root level. If what I am describing is correct, then you are seeing two different permissions for exactly the same reason I am: In one case you are viewing your username Home folder...
    or its full path, which is,
    Computer/username/Home/Library/ColorSync/Profiles

...and in the other case you are viewing the computer root folder.
    Computer/Library/ColorSync/Profiles

Earlier it looked like the Profiles folder in your home folder was set so that your user account could not write to it.
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2009
    colourbox wrote:
    I'm not sure what you mean, since all of this is in the Finder. Do you mean the method you use to open a new folder window? If you open a new folder window by clicking on the Finder icon in the Dock, and it opens up to your Home folder, then that's only because it's set to start there in Preferences. If you double-click Macintosh HD, then you always start at the root level. If what I am describing is correct, then you are seeing two different permissions for exactly the same reason I am: In one case you are viewing your username Home folder...
    Computer/username/Home/Library/ColorSync/Profiles

...and in the other case you are viewing the computer root folder.
    Computer/Library/ColorSync/Profiles

Earlier it looked like the Profiles folder in your home folder was set so that your user account could not write to it.

I'm new to Mac OS and I didn't realize there were two different Library folders. Thanks for clearing that up. I traced my steps and found that in my original post I quoted the path that I saw listed in ColorSync, but I mistakenly looked in the root folder to check the permissions.
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2009
    So is anyone else using a MacBook Pro? Would you mind seeing if you can use the display calibrator to save a new profile? It only takes a moment if you don't use the "expert mode". I just want to know if you can actually save the profile.
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2009
    Tanuki wrote:
    I'm new to Mac OS and I didn't realize there were two different Library folders.

In that case you should know how the general hierarchy works. It's like Windows in many ways.

Computer/Library = stuff installed for all users to use, can be modified by an admin user
    Computer/System/Library = Core OS X files that should never be touched by any user
    Computer/username/Home/Library/ = Each user has one of these, with their own settings that are independent of other users
    Computer/Shared/Library/ = A user-level Library folder that all users can see

You can have ColorSync, Preferences, etc. folders at each level. If something is installed inside one user's Library, it won't appear for any other user. If something is installed at one of the higher levels, every user will see it. This is important because some installers may put things at one level and if you look for them at another level you may not find what you are looking for, so check both. You can also use this to keep some software active for one user and not others.
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2009
    colourbox wrote:
    In that case you should know how the general hierarchy works. It's like Windows in many ways.

Computer/Library = stuff installed for all users to use, can be modified by an admin user
    Computer/System/Library = Core OS X files that should never be touched by any user
    Computer/username/Home/Library/ = Each user has one of these, with their own settings that are independent of other users
    Computer/Shared/Library/ = A user-level Library folder that all users can see

You can have ColorSync, Preferences, etc. folders at each level. If something is installed inside one user's Library, it won't appear for any other user. If something is installed at one of the higher levels, every user will see it. This is important because some installers may put things at one level and if you look for them at another level you may not find what you are looking for, so check both. You can also use this to keep some software active for one user and not others.

Thanks again. I appreciate your time on this.

So... are you able to run Display Calibrator Assistant on your computer and save the new profile?