Options

photoshop high quality jpegs not enough!

ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
edited February 9, 2009 in Digital Darkroom
as topic says..I want better quality jpegs! The sice of the file is not an issue. .

I want a format that do not destroy images as much as jpeg do and still will be able to look at them on a win/osx/linux platform just as jpegs...

What to do? im no good at this so therefore the question.

Comments

• Options
    Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    I think you can do 16-bitt TIFF files. But I'm in the same boat, don't know anything about it all, so just do JPEGs.

Is there a better solution to a compressed JPEG file that is still widely accepted on, not only computer platforms, but uploading to internet, printing, etc...? And if so...what do I do with my 600+ already uploaded JPEG images on my smugmug site?
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    If you want a JPEG and want great quality, just save it as JPEG 10 like Smugmug recommends. It will look nearly indistinguishable from a TIFF, and won't degrade further as long as the file will only be viewed, not edited further. I mean seriously, can you see the difference between a JPEG 10 or higher, and a TIFF?
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    colourbox wrote:
    If you want a JPEG and want great quality, just save it as JPEG 10 like Smugmug recommends. It will look nearly indistinguishable from a TIFF, and won't degrade further as long as the file will only be viewed, not edited further. I mean seriously, can you see the difference between a JPEG 10 or higher, and a TIFF?

I agree here to the point that I save all my jpegs as 12......according to SM there is no difference above 8 but when I asked my Professional Lab.....they laughed and said as long as one is not uprezing above what the native file can do....then jpeg quailty from 8 to 10 is ok.....but should you want to uprez then you need all you can get to start with.......there is not that much difference between a jpg 8/10 and a 12 so I save everything at 12 ......and the storagedoesn't cost anymore and Ihave seen the difference between the 2 file sizes in test photos.
    I cannot see a difference between a 12jpg and a tiff which I have done with 4 different printers and since I cannot upload tifs to SM then I do not save as a tif unless it is something special I have done for a client and I want to save unflattened layers.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    well..There is a loss of data in some images i have..Dosent appear in photoshop but the compressed file only. For example photos with much heaven and fading light / color changes. .

I found this problem with all 3 cameras i have owned so far.. Pentax K10, canon 20d and now the 1000d.
    Just found it strange since i agree with you guys. I allways save as lvl 12..Wish there was up to 20 :D

If the problem is with the jpeg compression in photoshop or something else i dont know..Still it bugs me some times.
  • Options
    CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2009
    Arvan wrote:
    well..There is a loss of data in some images i have..Dosent appear in photoshop but the compressed file only. For example photos with much heaven and fading light / color changes. .

I found this problem with all 3 cameras i have owned so far.. Pentax K10, canon 20d and now the 1000d.
    Just found it strange since i agree with you guys. I allways save as lvl 12..Wish there was up to 20 :D

If the problem is with the jpeg compression in photoshop or something else i dont know..Still it bugs me some times.

If you're seeing a difference between an original in photoshop and a level 12 jpeg, it's NOT because of the jpeg compression. How about if you load up the lvl 12 jpeg into photoshop? How does it look then? I suspect it may be a difference in color (photoshop is color-space aware while most browsers are not). Is it color banding you are seeing? If you point us to an example it would be helpful!
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2009
    CSwinton wrote:
    If you're seeing a difference between an original in photoshop and a level 12 jpeg, it's NOT because of the jpeg compression. How about if you load up the lvl 12 jpeg into photoshop? How does it look then? I suspect it may be a difference in color (photoshop is color-space aware while most browsers are not). Is it color banding you are seeing? If you point us to an example it would be helpful!

I agree completely. If you are seeing differences in color but not detail, then cranking up the quality level is the wrong path; you will simply be enlarging your files dramatically without solving the real problem which may be color space related. Maybe you're not converting to sRGB before putting an image on the Web?