First flash tests - Still Life

boulderNardoboulderNardo Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
edited February 9, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
First time shooting with flash. Been reading the Strobist, several books on artificial lighting, and now it's time to start playing.

Got 2 Vivitar 285HVs, stands, umbrellas, but haven't received my PWs yet, so I'm shooting with one 550EX via TTL cord, in M mode, mounted on stand with white reflective umbrella on the left of the subject, another white reflective umbrella on right of subject to act as reflector, and camera at +25 degrees above subject.

Well, this is mostly an artistic interpretation (in other words, playing with PhotoShop :)), wondering what you guys think.

470256840_AFvwU-L.jpg

Thanks!
_Bernardo
Canon 1D MkII, Canon 17-40 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 50 f/1.4, Canon 100 f/2
Bogen 055XPROB
Elinchrom Ranger RX Speed AS, FreeLite A, Skyports, 3x Vivitar 285HV

Comments

• jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2009
    I like the high contrast processing on this. thumb.gif
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2009
    First time shooting with flash. Been reading the Strobist, several books on artificial lighting, and now it's time to start playing.

Got 2 Vivitar 285HVs, stands, umbrellas, but haven't received my PWs yet, so I'm shooting with one 550EX via TTL cord, in M mode, mounted on stand with white reflective umbrella on the left of the subject, another white reflective umbrella on right of subject to act as reflector, and camera at +25 degrees above subject.

Well, this is mostly an artistic interpretation (in other words, playing with PhotoShop :)), wondering what you guys think.

Thanks!
    _Bernardo

Hi Bernardo, I think you are well on the right path,
    however the light looks harsh mostly on the apple,
    which might also be exaggerated by the heavy contrast applied.
    The colours way over saturated for my liking, so much so the Orange is actually glowing.

I think if you tone it down a bit it would look better (personal opinion)
    It's fun experimenting though isn't it thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2009
    Hi Bernado...

This shot shows a lot of promise. Working with diverse lighting is always a challenge and I think you've done pretty well in this case. I do, however, feel the colors have been bumped too much....over saturated. The lighting has been overplayed as well, leading to specular areas on each of the fruits that are distracting. Nicely done overall, though, for being an early effort.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • boulderNardoboulderNardo Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2009
    Thanks for the comments & critique, folks! Very much appreciated!

The PP'ing was purposefully way overdone :)
    I was going for exactly that look - kind of an oil painting look.
    I'll tweak it a little more maybe to try and make it look more natural, but again, that's what I was aiming for.

As for the specular areas - THOSE I'm interested in removing, not sure what I did wrong with the lighting, I'll try again tonight moving the flashes further away maybe.

Thanks!
    Canon 1D MkII, Canon 17-40 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 50 f/1.4, Canon 100 f/2
    Bogen 055XPROB
    Elinchrom Ranger RX Speed AS, FreeLite A, Skyports, 3x Vivitar 285HV
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2009
    Bernardo...

Adjusting the flash position may help in this case some....but for every action, there's a reaction. Moving the flash away some may cost you the total light coverage you're looking for. I would also look at employing
    a soft light box, reflective panels, or some other means to attenuate the harshness of the light. The apple, obviously, will be the last of the fruits to show benefit because it has the most reflective skin. Good luck.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.