salt lake city

chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
edited February 12, 2009 in Landscapes
Hi all, just returned from a week-long skiing vacation in park city. I took two days for shooting. Here are some that I have processed so far, haven't decided which ones are "keepers" and may play around with black and white with some of the snowscapes, so any comments/critiques appreciated. Thanks!

470221580_GEyyU-L.jpg

470219704_2KH88-L.jpg

470223727_X64Ri-L.jpg

470226455_covGD-L.jpg

470244233_zxPhc-L.jpg

470274263_FvdkC-L.jpg

470278920_c6ZmV-L.jpg

470282435_ADtvA-L.jpg

Comments

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2009
    Wow great photos really liked the road to Salt Lake photo ! clap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • AbiciriderbackAbiciriderback Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2009
    Very nicely done series really like the first 2 great captures

Ray Still
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2009
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

btw, #1 is so very sweet
    Aaron Nelson
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2009
    chrismoore wrote:
    470223727_X64Ri-S.jpg

470278920_c6ZmV-S.jpg

This set is all good but these two in particular had my jaw on the floor. What a FANTASTIC, fresh take on this place! bowdown.gifbowdown.gif
  • grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,537 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    This set is all good but these two in particular had my jaw on the floor. What a FANTASTIC, fresh take on this place! bowdown.gifbowdown.gif

I agree with Schmoo!! The reflection shot and the road to SL are standouts!! Infact, you might want to consider entering the road to SL in the mini challenge that ends tonight. :D
    edited February 9, 2009
    rolleyes1.gif
    hey now.....
    Aaron Nelson
  • chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    grimace wrote:
    I agree with Schmoo!! The reflection shot and the road to SL are standouts!! Infact, you might want to consider entering the road to SL in the mini challenge that ends tonight. :D

Thanks, everyone, I appreciate your kind comments. I got your suggestion too late to enter in the mini challenge but thanks for the idea. Aaron, thanks for the location suggestions you gave me several months ago when I was planning the trip.
    Regards,
    Chris
  • tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    Road to salt lake is very very awesome. however a bit more scenery and a different POV so that it was not so "centered" would have made it even better! But nevertheless, a wonderful shot.
    BTW this salt lake city is close to the place where they go to a lake and revv up the engines, and go as fast as your guts can dare?
    Did you go to the salt flats too?
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    In order to properly articulate how I feel about these photos, I would have to violate the first rule of dgrin.

Here's the censored version: These photos are awesome! Just fantastic light and compositions in all of them. An excellent result from just two days.

And on a side note, those tail-light trails on the highway sure are straight, I guess that's because Utah is mostly a dry state :D
    edited February 10, 2009
    now that was funny....dry state....
    Aaron Nelson
  • shrekieshrekie Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2009
    Beautiful series Chris. clap.gif

My favourite is the first photo, with the sunlight hitting the water...almost a fantastical feel to it. Well done!
  • chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2009
    tsk1979 wrote:
    Road to salt lake is very very awesome. however a bit more scenery and a different POV so that it was not so "centered" would have made it even better! But nevertheless, a wonderful shot.
    BTW this salt lake city is close to the place where they go to a lake and revv up the engines, and go as fast as your guts can dare?
    Did you go to the salt flats too?

Thanks for the critique. In the end I opted for a more centered composition. The overpass I stood on was not very long and so moving a few feet to the left or right probably would have given the same look, although I guess I could have aimed for the mountains more. I used bulb mode, so I could time the shot when cars were coming from both directions. The best shots were about 5-6 sec exposures at f/5.6. It was freezing cold so I didnt take too many, but I did stop at another overpass and took this shot for a little different perspective.

470329021_f8iYt-L.jpg
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2009
    Beautiful series. The light in #1, #2, and #5 are just beautiful.
  • Allan FGAllan FG Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2009
    I love the Temple Square shot clap.gif
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2009
    Third and the "Road to Salt Lake" shots are excellent.
    Good series.