Options

Help me decide.......New 5D M2 or a lens.

2»

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,887 moderator
    edited March 7, 2009

Is the new 5D Mark 2 a better camera than my 30D when we are talking about shooting action/sports photography?

I ask it this way because if the 5D is no better for action/sports than my 30D, and the only advantage is the higher resolution (and I'm not forgetting the math lesson earlier in this thread) and HD video, which I like, but don't need, then I think the answer presents itself, and the 1D Mark 3 is the best choice at this time.

S.C.

This is a rather complicated issue as the 2 cameras were designed for different applications.

Starting with the AF section, the Canon 30D and 5D MKII are fairly similar. One distinction is that the AF area is smaller on the 5D MKII, meaning that you would have to be more careful about tracking the subject in the viewfinder to keep it within the AF region. Of course at the same focal lengths and distances, the 5D will have a wider FOV and it is actually easier to track moving objects IMO because you are seeing more scene, but that means to be intimate with the subject you would need an effectively longer focal length lens on the 5D MKII.

Cropping the 5D MKII images to the same image size as the 30D will yield a similar pixels count. The 5D MKII image sizes are so much bigger that you may need an extremely modern and fast computer in order to process them.

I suspect that the AF is just a bit faster on the 5D MKII because of a faster AF processing engine. Responsiveness overall is similar however, and the 30D has a faster shooting frame rate.

In low light both cameras suffer and that's primarily where the AF of the 1D cameras really shine. There is no doubt in my mind that indoor and night sports would be much better covered with the 1D MKII/MKIIN/MKIII just because of the superlative AF section.

Lenses make more of a difference than bodies so do make sure that sports lenses are in your arsenal first before worrying about another body.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Nope. The Canon 5D MKII and the Canon 30D both have a pixel density of approximately 2.4 MP/cm², so a 22.5 x 15mm crop out of the 5D MKII (assuming the same lens and distance from the subject) should yield a very similar megapixel count compared to the 20D/30D and a very similar file size as well (assuming identical file type and compression for both images).

Hmmm...never thought of it this way.headscratch.gif

I really would like to have a 5D2...but since I shoot wildlife mostly, I figured that a 1.6 or 1.3 fovc would be more useful for my purposes.

So...if I understand this correctly...there really is no difference from cropping out the center portion on a 5D2 file and using a full frame file on a camera with a crop factor.

I realize there are other considerations, like frame rate...but this way of looking at it never occurred to me.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,887 moderator
    edited March 7, 2009
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    Hmmm...never thought of it this way.headscratch.gif

I really would like to have a 5D2...but since I shoot wildlife mostly, I figured that a 1.6 or 1.3 fovc would be more useful for my purposes.

So...if I understand this correctly...there really is no difference from cropping out the center portion on a 5D2 file and using a full frame file on a camera with a crop factor.

I realize there are other considerations, like frame rate...but this way of looking at it never occurred to me.

I suspect that there is one more cycle left in the 1D MKII/MKIIN/MKIII line. I would speculate that the next iteration will have:

Crop APS-H, 1.3x
    A completely revised AF section.
    12 MPix
    Digic iV
    Calibrated ISOs 100-6400
    Frame rate 10 fps with an unlimited depth for JPG using an appropriate card and around 50 RAW images.

This should yield reduced high-ISO noise over any of the xxD models and have excellent responsiveness and shooting rate.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    scottcolbathscottcolbath Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2009
    Eh. I went and did this just now at B&H...............:D

Canon CA7020028LIS
    Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Autofocus Lens USA

Hoya HOUVMC77
    77mm Ultraviolet UV(0) Haze Multi-Coated Glass Filter

Tamrac TA5586B
    5586 Expedition 6x Backpack (Black)

That's about two large I just burned.

I'll get the new camera later. I have been lusting after the 70-200 for a while, and I really need the backpack for when I take the KTM off road. I want to take my nicer gear out in the outback on rides, but don't want it banging around in my tank bag. The backpack is the perfect option. Also, I can carry my tripod, which is a big deal for me. Lastly, I think that I don't need to "buy" my way to better pictures just yet (I hope that didn't come out wrong). I still could stand to learn some more about taking better pictures with the gear I have.

I really appreciate all the input. Thanks guys.

S.C.