*ENTRY* Thread: DSS#19 (Contrived or Natural)

GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
edited March 3, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge #19

Welcome to Round #19 of the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenges. This challenge is open to any Dgrin member NOT qualified for the Mega-Challenge #3. It will run from Monday, February 9, 08:00am, EST time (GMT -5) to Monday, February 23, 08:00am, EST time (GMT -5).

The topic ready for your interpretation: Contrived or Natural

Your Judges:
sherstone (Winner of DSS Round #17)
micalngelo (Guest Judge)

IMPORTANT NOTE: Your entry is to be submitted directly into a Smugmug gallery. It's pretty simple, just go to the gallery link below, and follow the upload instructions at the top of the page: Remember, the basics stay the same: 1 entry per person, and the photo must be fresh, taken during this contest period. Do not use a minimal save method (such as "save for web"), and your exif will be embedded in your image, no worries!

To avoid disqualification, read, in full, the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge Rules, there have been some slight modifications.<!-- / message --><!-- sig --><!-- / message --><!-- sig --><!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________
Emily
Psalm 62:5-6

Comments

• KwartaKwarta Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2009
    You know Emily the more you open these challenges for interpretation the harder these challenges are. Thank you helping me think out side the box.
    http://kbkphoto.com/

There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept.~Ansel Adams
  • Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2009
    Kwarta wrote:
    You know Emily the more you open these challenges for interpretation the harder these challenges are. Thank you helping me think out side the box.

Agreed, but at the same time makes it harder to judge. Because each photo can (and most likely will be) so different from the next, makes it hard, near impossible, to judge which is better. So kudos to those judges for wading through subjectivity and focusing on interpretation of subject matter, idea and the technical aspects.clap.gif
  • DeuceFourDeuceFour Registered Users Posts: 350 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2009
    Seems to me that any and all pictures out there fall under this theme??ne_nau.gif Oh boy....How to be the one that stands out above the crowd!headscratch.gif
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2009
    DeuceFour wrote:
    Seems to me that any and all pictures out there fall under this theme??ne_nau.gif Oh boy....How to be the one that stands out above the crowd!headscratch.gif

lol3.gif

Just imagine you're to do an ad that exemplifies the meaning of the word. (For some ideas: search the LPS galleries and you'll find a "Artificial or Organic" theme. :D )
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• 1pocket1pocket Registered Users Posts: 299 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2009
    Well, "contrived" should be easy for a good hunk of the contest participants -- I would almost say the majority of submissions to all of the DGrin contests fall heavily in the "contrived" zone :):)
    My humble gallery...
    www.steveboothphotography.com

Pool/Billiards specific...
    www.poolinaction.com
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2009
    To whoever posted the first DSS 19 photo
    You forgot to add your user name and title in the caption area of your photo. deal.gif
    edited February 11, 2009
    Just for clarity...Contrived = showing effects of planning or manipulation... Correct?

So this is either going to be a photo of something natural, or of something that has been planned or manipulated? Well isn't any photo that people take technically "planned"? In that you set up the parameters of the shot?
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 11, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    You forgot to add your user name and title in the caption area of your photo. deal.gif
    Linda, very nice of you - I moved this in here rather than being a thread on its own. We have plenty as it is.

thanks,
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited February 11, 2009
    lol3.gif

Just imagine you're to do an ad that exemplifies the meaning of the word. (For some ideas: search the LPS galleries and you'll find a "Artificial or Organic" theme. :D )

I was just thinking about that challenge!
    edited February 11, 2009
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Linda, very nice of you - I moved this in here rather than being a thread on its own. We have plenty as it is.

thanks,

No probbie! :D
  • digidronedigidrone Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2009
    Forgot to sign entry
    Thanks Linda and everyone... I am obviously a brand new (and spanked) rookie and I appreciate your tolorance!
    Thanks again!!!!
    Royce
    edited February 11, 2009
    digidrone wrote:
    Thanks Linda and everyone... I am obviously a brand new (and spanked) rookie and I appreciate your tolorance!
    Thanks again!!!!
    Royce

You're welcome! I'm glad you spotted the reminder note. :D

Good luck to you in this round!
    edited February 12, 2009
    missing exif
    I went back and rechecked my entry. Now I find that the software I used to make my composite has trashed the exif data, and it doesn't come thru with the upload.
    Any ideas how to fix? I use the Serif Photo Plus software...
    If I can't figure it out today, can you please delete my entry so I don't waste anyones time and such?
    Thanks and sorry about the inconveniance!
    Royce
    edited February 12, 2009
    Just provide a link to one of the originals so that the exif can be obtained from there. mwink.gif
    edited February 12, 2009
    I added the link to original.
    If this is acceptable.
    Mod's please remove if not.
    Royce
    edited February 12, 2009
    You can actually link to the original's exif. When I clicked on your link, it took me to your gallery, which BTW, has some lovely photos in it. But this link won't be helpful to a judge.

Here's a link with a tutorial on how to link to your photo's exif:

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1083138

If you get stuck, just ask!

In earlier DSS challenges we all used to have to provide a link to our exif information because each photo was posted in a special entry thread. If you scroll back several pages, you'll find some of these older threads. At the end of 08 we changed formats and now post our entries into a special gallery. This eliminated the need to post a link to our exif information. But in the case of composite images, the exif still gets stripped. But it's perfectly OK to provide the link(s) to the photos in your composite.
    edited February 12, 2009
    I give up!bowdown.gif Its an omen!!!!
    Just delete this dang thing and I'll come back another day!
    Thanks Linda for the help and the btw on the gallery pics, I'm learning...grin
    Royce
  • DeuceFourDeuceFour Registered Users Posts: 350 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2009
    lol3.gif

Yeah Im gonna have to do something!! But I like to be challenged.. besides it wouldnt be any fun if it wasn't left up to interpretation!
  • PexiPexi Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited February 13, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    You can actually link to the original's exif.
    ....it's perfectly OK to provide the link(s) to the photos in your composite.

Is this really true? Actually the rules state quite strictly that "Proof of Fresh Photo: Entries must have exif embedded.
    Composite images must be composed entirely of fresh images, and must include exif from ALL of the images used."

I read it so that linking is not enough... I've also wondered how do you embed exifs from several images into one, is it doable?

I'm a bit confused here, sorry about that.
    Life is pretty straight without motorcycling
    edited February 13, 2009
    Regarding proof of fresh photos
    Yoohoooooo DoctorIt where are you? rolleyes1.gifwave.gif

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=101453

"Entries must have exif embedded (do not use methods such as "save for web", which strip exif info). As such, only images taken digitally will be accepted (no scanned images). Photos made via HDR must include the exif from one of the merged images. Composite images must be composed entirely of fresh images, and must include exif from ALL of the images used."

For the challenges we now upload photos to a specially designated smugmug gallery. If you take a single photo and enter it, there is no need to link to any exif information. Your photo's exif can be viewed directly from the gallery. You just need to make sure you save it in a fashion that does not strip the exif. For example, in Photoshop or Photoshop Elements you need to use the "Save As" command make sure the exif gets embedded.

Composite and HDR images are different because they're made up of multiple photos and when these images become "1" exif information gets stripped. This is why you need to provide links to the exif information.
    edited February 13, 2009
    Therefore I need to imbed both to comply....ne_nau.gif Which i don't mind attempting!rolleyes1.gif
    As you have witnessed, my tech abilities brought us here to this moment in space....
    Take me where you must!
    Royce
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2009
    Just look in some of the past rounds for examples of composites that were entered and the way they handled the EXIF. Sherstone had one in "Hair," JAG had one in "Wide World of DGrin," and so on. These weren't DQ'd, so go take a look and learn from those who have gone before. thumb.gif
    edited February 13, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    Yoohoooooo DoctorIt where are you?
    I'm right here. All the rules and precedents have been quoted already, thanks. I'm sorry, but that's really all I care to say on the matter. Not to sound condescending, but part of the contest is entering it, we've made it as easy as possible.

My only note is to correct you on one point: judges have nothing to do with qualifications. I do all of that, and I am not a judge. The gallery we present the judges with is already screened. They look only at photos for merit in the contest.
    Erik

edited February 13, 2009
    DoctorIt wrote:
    My only note is to correct you on one point: judges have nothing to do with qualifications. I do all of that, and I am not a judge. The gallery we present the judges with is already screened. They look only at photos for merit in the contest.

thumb.gif
  • Kellyk126Kellyk126 Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    Oops
    Well... I have a really big brain and uploaded the non named pic to the gallery. Pretty clever after reading all the rules and this being my first time and all... do I get eliminated for being that much of a dumb dumb?
    Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious. :wink
    edited February 16, 2009
    Kellyk126 wrote:
    Well... I have a really big brain and uploaded the non named pic to the gallery. Pretty clever after reading all the rules and this being my first time and all... do I get eliminated for being that much of a dumb dumb?

Not yet. Once you uploaded, you can still log back into the gallery, select your photo, and edit the caption below the photo. Enter in "your name - "photo title"".

You are not at a loss yet. If you don't name the photo with the title and your name by the end of the challenge, then yes, you'd get DQ'ed. But as of yet, it's still on and the gallery is still open, so you're good to go.
    edited February 17, 2009
    Kellyk126 wrote:
    Have you and your big brain tried logging back into the gallery and editing the caption? deal.gif
    Erik

• Kellyk126Kellyk126 Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited February 17, 2009
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Have you and your big brain tried logging back into the gallery and editing the caption? deal.gif

Well... yes... but it was my understanding that the filename needed to be changed. Apparently not, thanks for the heads up guys. I fixed it last night!
    Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious. :wink
    edited February 17, 2009
    Kellyk126 wrote:
    Well... yes... but it was my understanding that the filename needed to be changed. Apparently not, thanks for the heads up guys. I fixed it last night!

Nope. File name can be whatever the file name is. You just gotta make sure the photo has your name and photo title in the caption below the photo. Also make sure that all your exif data is there, i.e. date it was shot (primarily), and everything else that comes with it. When you mouse over the photo a little bubble comes out, there's a blue square that says photo info with a little i in it. click that and make sure all your camera info is there. that way you won't get DQ'ed.
  • frithyfrithy Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited February 17, 2009
    Uploading photo
    I am a first time entrant and have just uploaded my first photo the challenge #19. But where do I go to check that it uploaded correctly. I cannot find a gallery that displays the photo. Ta. frithy.