Options

Raw To JPEG

ccogginsccoggins Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
edited April 28, 2009 in Finishing School
I just got a Canon 50d for Christmas and I was previously using Photshop Elements 6.0 to do the conversion, it worked fine using my Canon Rebel.
Now when I try to convert using the same software, I get an error where the CR2 file is not a valid or supported file type.
Any suggestions on the best software for raw files with the 50d ?

Comments

• Options
    cabinetbuffcabinetbuff Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2009
    ccoggins wrote:
    I just got a Canon 50d for Christmas and I was previously using Photshop Elements 6.0 to do the conversion, it worked fine using my Canon Rebel.
    Now when I try to convert using the same software, I get an error where the CR2 file is not a valid or supported file type.
    ---> Canon DPP thumb.gif
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,911 moderator
    edited February 9, 2009
    ccoggins wrote:

Newer RAW files are different enough that they often will not work with older versions of RAW converters.

Cabinetbuff is correct that the DPP that came with the camera is an excellent RAW converter and can do many of the basic color and tone tasks as well.

RAWTherapee (Windows Freeware) may also work in its latest version.

I believe that Picasa will also open/view the files for sorting, but you probably won't want to use it for conversion.

It may be argued that the best converter and editor is Adobe ACR and PhotoShop. The latest version is ACR 5.2 and PhotoShop CS4.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2009
    thanks , I have been using the canon software, but I just got used to the raw editor in Photoshop.
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2009
    thanks for taking time to answer
  • Options
    waygard33waygard33 Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2009
    Did you check Adobe's website for a possible update to the Camera Raw plugin?

A quick check of the site shows that version 5.1 does include the Canon 50D (they are now up to version 5.2 as of November 2008).

Maybe you have an earlier version?

wg
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2009
    The ACR that came with PSE 6 will not support the Canon 50D raw files. You need to update the ACR and it should work fine.

Right side of this page has the links for ACR 5.2 in PC and Mac version.
    http://www.adobe.com/downloads/
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2009
    Thanks I'll chcek it out
  • Options
    PamelaPamela Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2009
    I just ordered a Canon 50D, it will arrive tomorrow.

Did you get raw conversion to work for you?

This has me a little concerned, I normally use the DPP software to adjustments and raw conversions.
    Then I use CS2 for special actions.

Im using a MacBook with the Intel processor, and have just read in another forum that the DPP 3.6 is very slow on macs.

Is anyone using the Canon 50D with DPP 3.5 or 3.6 without any issues on a mac?
    If so, can the 50D raw files be used with the DPP 3.2?

Edit: Is this thread posted in the right area? I thought it would belong in the finishing school thread?
    Thankyou

Pamela

www.exposedimages.net
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,911 moderator
    edited April 28, 2009
    Sorry folks, I must have been lagging. Finishing school is probably the most appropriate forum for this question.

Carry on.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2009
    If one converts the proprietary Raws into DNG, using the free converter, they should have no issues using older Adobe converters to handle the data.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2009
    arodney wrote:
    If one converts the proprietary Raws into DNG, using the free converter, they should have no issues using older Adobe converters to handle the data.

AAAAAAA A A A AMEN .... AMEN A MEN A MEN......RIGHT ON BRO!!!!!
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website