Options

"The photo is too small to buy this item"

mbellotmbellot Registered Users Posts: 465 Major grins
edited March 23, 2009 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I can't believe this is happening...

I added proof delay so I could upload smaller files, but now many things aren't available to purchase because of the resolution.

I would have thought that one of the benefits of proof delay is being able to upload smaller files and then replace with one of adequate resolution if/when an order is placed.

Any suggestions, or am I going to have to re-upload 16 albums worth of images because I missed by 33 pixels in the shorter dimesion (1100 minimum, 1067 is what they are now) :scratch

Comments

• Options
    SledhedSledhed Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited February 9, 2009
    You still have to upload the full res files. The reason being Smugmug ships your orders at the end of the proof time even if you haven't touched them, so they need the hi-res files.

I use the proof delay too but I use it so I don't have to color correct and crop the files before I upload. I only correct the files that have been sold and replace those.
  • Options
    tjk60tjk60 Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2009
    I agree this is a problem. I think the 7 days is sufficient to get the new post up there. With ISPs now limiting bandwidth, I thin this should be revisited....
    Tim
    Troy, MI

D700/200, SB800(4), 70-200, 300 2.8 and a few more

www.sportsshooter.com/tjk60
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,275 moderator
    edited February 9, 2009
    mbellot wrote:
    I added proof delay so I could upload smaller files, but now many things aren't available to purchase because of the resolution.
    You might want to take a look at this page - http://www.smugmug.com/help/print-quality - showing the minimum resolution requirements.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2009
    I totally understand the reasoning behind it. It's also business days, it doesn't count the weekend. I usually set it to four days which it plenty of time for me to tweak the pics.
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2009
    You might want to take a look at this page - http://www.smugmug.com/help/print-quality - showing the minimum resolution requirements.
    Denise, I've seen that and prints are not my problem.

The problem comes in when offering "stuff" (shirts specifically, which require 1500x1100). The minimum resolutions for all the miscellaneous merchandise isn't so neatly tabulated.

Guess I need to re-run and re-upload the pictures. 11doh.gif
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2009
    mbellot wrote:
    The problem comes in when offering "stuff" (shirts specifically, which require 1500x1100). The minimum resolutions for all the miscellaneous merchandise isn't so neatly tabulated.
    I just looked, and the information is there. But you're right; unfortunately you need to click the "More" link on each item to see the minimum resolutions. This page with the details on the non-photo items is linked from the photo minimum resolution page - http://wwww.smugmug.com/prints/catalog2.mg#Merchandise.

--- Denise
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    Hi mbellot

Since SmugMug allows unlimited storage and the ability to restrict the size available for view, I always load my originals and then only allow L or M sized shots to be viewed.

That way, all products are available for order should I choose, usually there is no further work needed when an order is placed (even though I ALWAYS set proof delay to 7 days) and my originals are tucked away on SmugMug in case I want to grab them from somewhere other than my home computer!

It was always such a pain, back in my pbase days, to make a web copy and a print copy. SmugMug eased that pain for me long ago, and I am soo glad!

I know it is too late for the images you've posted so far, but for your future workflow I hope this helps.

ann
  • Options
    FrankCFrankC Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    Ann McRae wrote:
    I always load my originals and then only allow L or M sized shots to be viewed.
    I would like to be able to do this too - but at normal broadband upload speeds - that might take quite a while. I downsize most of my images because otherwise I'd be uploading 24/7 just to keep up.

This might change in the future as upload speeds increase - but I don't expect it for quite a while.

Frank
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2009
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Hi mbellot

Since SmugMug allows unlimited storage and the ability to restrict the size available for view, I always load my originals and then only allow L or M sized shots to be viewed.

That way, all products are available for order should I choose, usually there is no further work needed when an order is placed (even though I ALWAYS set proof delay to 7 days) and my originals are tucked away on SmugMug in case I want to grab them from somewhere other than my home computer!

ann

That's the exact same thing I do.

Comcast just raised our speeds to 2 M-bit up and 12 M-bit down and it smokes.
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2009
    FrankC wrote:
    I would like to be able to do this too - but at normal broadband upload speeds - that might take quite a while. I downsize most of my images because otherwise I'd be uploading 24/7 just to keep up.
    What environment are you using? I started using Star*Explorer for all of my uploads a while back, and submitting large uploads is no longer a problem for me. It's a windows-only tool, available at what I consider to be a reasonable price. See http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=4126.

--- Denise
  • Options
    FrankCFrankC Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    What environment are you using? I started using Star*Explorer for all of my uploads a while back, and submitting large uploads is no longer a problem for me. It's a windows-only tool, available at what I consider to be a reasonable price. See http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=4126.

--- Denise
    Hi Denise,

not sure what you mean by 'environment' in this context. For uploading I usually use 'Send to Smugmug' or the built-in Java loader. However, that's not really an issue - it's the upload speed for my ADSL line which is. I get 7.6 Mbps down, but only about 680kbps up (and that's a theoretical maximum, never actually achieved). That's the limiting factor.

Frank
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2009
    FrankC wrote:
    Hi Denise,

not sure what you mean by 'environment' in this context. For uploading I usually use 'Send to Smugmug' or the built-in Java loader. However, that's not really an issue - it's the upload speed for my ADSL line which is. I get 7.6 Mbps down, but only about 680kbps up (and that's a theoretical maximum, never actually achieved). That's the limiting factor.

Frank
    Sorry, I meant Windows vs. Mac - because Star*Explorer is a windows-only tool. You still are limited by the upload speed, but I'm quite happy issuing a large upload because Star*Explorer will retry if there are any errors.

--- Denise
  • Options
    kiz5kiz5 Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    FrankC wrote:

This might change in the future as upload speeds increase - but I don't expect it for quite a while.

Frank

Yeah, it'd be nice to be able to do it. Unfortunately, its not for some of us.

Around football season, I shoot 2-4 games/day, each of which has around 1.0-1.6 GBs of files (5.59 mbs/photo approx.) Even with a 1 meg upload (10/1 connection), that would take me 10-15 hours, assuming I let it run max on Star*Explorer, which I do have. Meanwhile, files cropped, re-sized, downgraded to a 7 quality, end up around 400-700 kbs. Feel free to do the math on that one!

Ah well!
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2009
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Hi mbellot

It was always such a pain, back in my pbase days, to make a web copy and a print copy. SmugMug eased that pain for me long ago, and I am soo glad!

I know it is too late for the images you've posted so far, but for your future workflow I hope this helps.

ann

As others have already said, uploading full resolution images would be time consuming to say the least.

I started at 3000x2000 and recently dropped to 1600x1067 for the time savings. The images are ~ 1/3 the size, which makes a huge difference when uploading 1500 images in one shot.

I don't really care for SE, I've become quite attached to the simplicity embodied in SmugBrowser. It's not perfect, but its better than the rest IMHO.

Maybe one thing to take away from all this is either (or both) a consolidated list of resolution requirements for everything or somehow providing an early "warning" that an image doesn't meet the minimum requirements for certain items that have been made available for sale without having to go to the shopping cart.
  • Options
    DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    If anyone can switch to Verizon FIOS -- do it! I'm currently at 20Mbps/20Mbps. I have *no* bandwidth caps.. It is **FAST**! :)

I know Nik ( starexplorer.com ) has the same thing as I do; and he offers an upload service. Send him a CD/DVD or a HDD with your photos, and he'll upload them all for you. :)

David
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    kiz5 wrote:
    Yeah, it'd be nice to be able to do it. Unfortunately, its not for some of us.

Around football season, I shoot 2-4 games/day, each of which has around 1.0-1.6 GBs of files (5.59 mbs/photo approx.) Even with a 1 meg upload (10/1 connection), that would take me 10-15 hours, assuming I let it run max on Star*Explorer, which I do have. Meanwhile, files cropped, re-sized, downgraded to a 7 quality, end up around 400-700 kbs. Feel free to do the math on that one!

Ah well!
    I had this problem when shooting karts and motocross. One thousand to two thousand photos, if I had to upload the hi-res version would take sometimes 40 hours, and that was on a fast connection. Fortunately Exposure Manager allowed me to upload 600x400 pixel previews as proof-only uploads, would still allow a person to order anything they wanted, and then I'd upload the full-res only upon an order.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    Someday_DreamerSomeday_Dreamer Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    OK--Newbie question here---Is there an easy way to determine what the resolution/size of your photos are AFTER they have been uploaded?ne_nau.gif
    I really don't want to have to go through all our backups to try and determine which one I uploaded especially since some have mulitple copies--headscratch.gif

Thanks--
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    OK--Newbie question here---Is there an easy way to determine what the resolution/size of your photos are AFTER they have been uploaded?ne_nau.gif
    I really don't want to have to go through all our backups to try and determine which one I uploaded especially since some have mulitple copies--headscratch.gif

Thanks--
    Hover over main photo, click the photo info button, and then you'll see the pixel dimensions.
  • Options
    kiz5kiz5 Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    mercphoto wrote:
    I had this problem when shooting karts and motocross. One thousand to two thousand photos, if I had to upload the hi-res version would take sometimes 40 hours, and that was on a fast connection. Fortunately Exposure Manager allowed me to upload 600x400 pixel previews as proof-only uploads, would still allow a person to order anything they wanted, and then I'd upload the full-res only upon an order.

Yeah, I'm moving over here from EM, and there's a few things that I miss over there, but I'm hoping the pros outweigh the negatives, which they seem to be so far. Just wish I could have the best of both worlds sometimes.
  • Options
    Someday_DreamerSomeday_Dreamer Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Hover over main photo, click the photo info button, and then you'll see the pixel dimensions.

Thanks---My 'info' button was turned off in the gallery---ooops--rolleyes1.gif

Although still not looking forward to reviewing all our photos--oh well I guess that is what I get for charging forward before having all the info....but there is just soooooooooooooo much info :cry
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2009
    mercphoto wrote:
    Exposure Manager allowed me to upload 600x400 pixel previews as proof-only uploads, would still allow a person to order anything they wanted, and then I'd upload the full-res only upon an order.

Bingo. Thats what I'm talking about.

I feel a feature request coming on... thumb.gif
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2009
    kiz5 wrote:
    Yeah, I'm moving over here from EM, and there's a few things that I miss over there, but I'm hoping the pros outweigh the negatives, which they seem to be so far. Just wish I could have the best of both worlds sometimes.
    The pros probably do outweigh the negatives at SM. Exposure Manager is very, very good at sales for event shooters. But that's about it. :)
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    cornerstonecornerstone Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited March 23, 2009
    I'm getting away with saving files at jpg lev 5 in photoshop. then replacing any photos ordered.

Not sure if that helps anyone, but I still do all my work in photoshop, so just figured I'd post for anyone doing likewise.
    I shoot hockey tournaments, which in the big tournaments can run 5000 or so images on a weekend.

Current workflow is to batch process all images twice, once does standard adjustments (levels, saturation, contrast, noise reduction.. using noise ninja plug in and sharpening) then a second batch process just to shrink files to jpg5.

First batch process tags files as _ADJ and second adds _JPG5. I do this because I usually just replace photo with _ADJ file when an order is made with 7 delay delay.. unless more editing is required, but the general settings seem to work in most cases.