Mare Island Naval Base, Vallejo, Ca at night

aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
edited February 12, 2009 in Landscapes
I spent a perfect (and I mean perfect) evening at Mare Island Naval Shipyard (MINS) this past weekend with the The Nocturnes and have to thank a110p0 (Alvin) for the opportunity to explore and play.. He posted this thread and included info about an upcoming free workshop! I knew that I had to go! And as an added bonus, I would get to meet him! Yippee! :ivar

And the weather was utterly sublime. It rained the previous day and the forecast for the next day was for heavy rain, but for us --- a perfectly clear, moon-lit night! I don’t know how we got so lucky – a bright nearly full moon and a cloudless sky! :D

Amazing location + flash lights + 1 million candle watt light + gels + dgrin buds + flickr buds + cameras + tripods! Sweet heaven. :smo :smo :smo And the security guards were super nice! No arrests! :wink I couldn’t have asked for anything more.

For most of the night, I spent wander with tisun and two flickr people.

1. Brick + Windows + Blue Glow
470469039_7aFnw-M-1.jpg

2. 2001 Space Odyssey (actually, cranes, looking upward + moon-star); fish
469736251_PrdeW-L-1.jpg

3. Stairway to heaven, lit by moon
470469101_YMuYS-M-1.jpg

4. Belly of at AT-AT – four legged version Star Wars (as I’m told); fish
470468883_rKpxz-L-1.jpg

5.Attack of that AT-AT – Run photogs, Run!; fish
470468939_TuKVJ-M-1.jpg

6. Red. I learned that a bike light works very well for painting objects. Thanks Anthony (tisun)
470583896_kH55J-M-1.jpg

My only wish was that I spent more time with Alvin. :rolleyes I saw in when I first got there, and then never saw him again! Next time! Did you get some brownies?

Surprisingly, I got these photos processed pretty quickly because I didn’t take too many frames. Also, the exposures were decently SOC – these are almost all SOC without any layers adjustments

C&C welcomed!

My only question – when can I go back? And who wants to come with me? :ear

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2009
    Sign me up! Wow what great shots. I love night photgoraphy and I can't believe these are SOOC. Fantastic! I see the great Alvin strikes again :Dthumb.gif
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2009
    Wow these are great !
    The way you use Fish Eye is out of this world clap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2009
    aktse wrote:
    I spent a perfect (and I mean perfect) evening at Mare Island Naval Shipyard (MINS) this past weekend with the The Nocturnes and have to thank a110p0 (Alvin) for the opportunity to explore and play.. He posted this thread and included info about an upcoming free workshop! I knew that I had to go! And as an added bonus, I would get to meet him! Yippee! :ivar

And the weather was utterly sublime. It rained the previous day and the forecast for the next day was for heavy rain, but for us --- a perfectly clear, moon-lit night! I don’t know how we got so lucky – a bright nearly full moon and a cloudless sky! :D

Amazing location + flash lights + 1 million candle watt light + gels + dgrin buds + flickr buds + cameras + tripods! Sweet heaven. :smo :smo :smo And the security guards were super nice! No arrests! mwink.gif I couldn’t have asked for anything more.

For most of the night, I spent wander with tisun and two flickr people.

1. Brick + Windows + Blue Glow
    2. 2001 Space Odyssey (actually, cranes, looking upward + moon-star); fish
    3. Stairway to heaven, lit by moon
    4. Belly of at AT-AT – four legged version Star Wars (as I’m told); fish
    5.Attack of that AT-AT – Run photogs, Run!; fish
    6. Red. I learned that a bike light works very well for painting objects. Thanks Anthony (tisun)

My only wish was that I spent more time with Alvin. rolleyes1.gif I saw in when I first got there, and then never saw him again! Next time! Did you get some brownies?

Surprisingly, I got these photos processed pretty quickly because I didn’t take too many frames. Also, the exposures were decently SOC – these are almost all SOC without any layers adjustments

C&C welcomed!

My only question – when can I go back? And who wants to come with me? ear.gif

Freakin awesome April clap.gif :ivar Sci-Fi whoohoo .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2009
    Awesome stuff, April! bowdown.gif
    That fishy really works out for you! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,537 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:

I couldn't agree more!! Great looking photos!!
  • a110p0a110p0 Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2009
    Great Shots
    Hey April,
    It was nice to meet you, although it was a quick introduction, we had
    to get to the task at hand, shooting.

I did get some brownies. The bag was passed around from photographer
    to photographer. Thanks for that.

Looks like you were able to get behind the gate to shoot the cranes.
    I wish I were around when the gate was unlocked. Oh well, next time,
    maybe I'll shoot the Nocturnes Alumni event.

My buddy from LA came up for this, and I had a fun time shooting with
    him. We didn't leave the place until around midnight. I think we
    could have gone longer.

We really lucked out on the weather, fantastic color in the sky and
    it was warmer than I thought it would be.

Your shots came out great. The fisheye stuff is really unusual.
    Your gel lighting is really nice, just the right amount. I think I over
    painted my stuff.

Alvin
    Alvin
    Fremont, CA
    SmugMug Gallery
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2009
    OMG, these are fantastic!!! I love the fisheye stuff. Incredibly well done. I'd love to get access to a place like this to shoot. thumb.gifthumb
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2009
    Very cool shots. I wished that I had read that thread. I drive by Mare Island every couple of weeks and have wanted to shoot there for some time now.
    Steve

Website
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited February 9, 2009
    I dig 'em all. Coolness.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • tisuntisun Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    bowdown.gif

Great shots! Is that me in shot #5? Spooky. I didn't take many shots either, especially with each exposure took up to two minutes. And the walk to the AT-AT was quite a trek. So many buildings I walked pass that I wanted to stop but didn't have time. I want to go back.
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    April! Great stuff - you really rock that fish eye!

I love the belly shot!

I am so glad that you survived that killer week of yours to go out and do this shoot!
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    ...I love night photgoraphy and I can't believe these are SOOC. Fantastic! I see the great Alvin strikes again :Dthumb.gif
    I think you would just eat up this location. It doesn't have your beloved cogs, but there is just so much here! I can't wait to see Mare Island through your amazing eyes! One of my friends didn't leave until 3 am! :D

And yes... Alvin strikes again! I have so much to learn from him!
    edited February 10, 2009
    The way you use Fish Eye is out of this world clap.gif
    I honestly believe that the 8mm fisheye is very hard to cox interesting images out from it and would rank it just behind the 24mm T&S in terms of difficulty. Other people might not have this issue -- I do!

It's just find it taxing find a scene that's interesting at 180 degrees wide. rolleyes1.gif
    edited February 10, 2009
    Skippy wrote:
    Freakin awesome April clap.gif :ivar Sci-Fi whoohoo .... Skippy :D
    The entire place was like a scary Sci-Fi film with a dash of the wild, wild west! During the few time we saw cars, they just flew by without any regards to speed, lane markers or laws.

I knew that I wasn't far away from the city (San Francisco), but it felt like I was in a different world that was constructed of metal, rust and cranes.

And, the there are some very old lights -- mercury vapors, sodium vapors, etc -- that cast the entire place in odd colors. Scary!
    edited February 10, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Thank you! I think I'm beginning to understand the fishy a bit more and have learned that it's best with things that are big! I usually feel very small and short, but standing next to these cranes, I felt like an ant. The cranes were huge! eek7.gif
    edited February 10, 2009
    grimace wrote:
    I couldn't agree more!! Great looking photos!!
    My question to you -- when are you coming back out here? You need to hit this location! mwink.gif
    edited February 10, 2009
    a110p0 wrote:
    Hey April,
    It was nice to meet you, although it was a quick introduction, we had
    to get to the task at hand, shooting.
    Looks like you were able to get behind the gate to shoot the cranes.
    I wish I were around when the gate was unlocked. Oh well, next time,
    maybe I'll shoot the Nocturnes Alumni event.
    We really lucked out on the weather, fantastic color in the sky and
    it was warmer than I thought it would be.

Your shots came out great. The fisheye stuff is really unusual.
    Your gel lighting is really nice, just the right amount. I think I over
    painted my stuff.
    I just wished that I had more time to chat with you! And I'm glad that you found me because there was no way that I could have found you in the crowd in the dark! Thank you agian for posting about this event!

And we couldn't have asked for better weather! It was such a perfect night! :D

That specific crane isn't actually behind a fence, but it's about a mile down the road (Nimitz?) from our starting location. The security guard did check up on us and chatted with us for a bit, but they allowed us to shoot as long as we didn't climb on anything clap.gif

I do carry the fish with me on a regular basis, but I tend not to bring it out and I'm glad that I did! As for the gels and lighting painting - i call it luck more than anything else. rolleyes1.gif

And you did pretty well yourself! I wished that I painted with gels more and got some tighter shots!
    We should shoot together more often! (and get your friend to post some of his photos). Are you going back on March 7?
    edited February 10, 2009
    bryanj87 wrote:
    OMG, these are fantastic!!! I love the fisheye stuff. Incredibly well done. I'd love to get access to a place like this to shoot. thumb.gifthumb
    Thanks! If you ever come to the bay area, let me know and I'll show you where this place is! Long exposure shots are so much fun! mwink.gif
    edited February 10, 2009
    Very cool shots. I wished that I had read that thread. I drive by Mare Island every couple of weeks and have wanted to shoot there for some time now.
    Are you free March 7? They're having an alumni night and I bet you can come and shoot with everyone else.

This was my first trip to Mare Island and I can guarantee you that it won't be my last!
    edited February 10, 2009
    ian408 wrote:
    I dig 'em all. Coolness.
    rolleyes1.gif

Cool describes the entire place!
  • a110p0a110p0 Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    aktse wrote:
    That specific crane isn't actually behind a fence, but it's about a mile down the road (Nimitz?) from our starting location. The security guard did check up on us and chatted with us for a bit, but they allowed us to shoot as long as we didn't climb on anything clap.gif

We should shoot together more often! (and get your friend to post some of his photos). Are you going back on March 7?
    I think I know where it is. I haven't explored that part of the island.

So far in two visits, I haven't had time to walk all the way down to that
    end. I get so interesting in Bldg 680 that I stop there.

I may go on March 7.

There were some shooters behind the fence by the dry docks, someone
    had a key to the gate. By the time I got there, they were done shooting
    and locking up.

I almost had a disaster. I accidentally hit my tripod with my camera
    bag and my camera fell over like a freshly cut tree. Luckily the lens
    hood and my quick release clamp knob softened the blow. The camera
    and lens were unscathed.

Alvin
    Alvin
    Fremont, CA
    SmugMug Gallery
    edited February 10, 2009
    tisun wrote:
    Great shots! Is that me in shot #5? Spooky. I didn't take many shots either, especially with each exposure took up to two minutes. And the walk to the AT-AT was quite a trek. So many buildings I walked pass that I wanted to stop but didn't have time. I want to go back.
    So many buildings... so little time!

And I love your work with light painting!

For shot #5, i think it's either you or Gerry, but I think that it's you! I honestly didn't know that you were in the frame and was more concerned about security driving over my camera gear! eek7.gif I shouldn't have left it on the floor!

Thank you so much for coming with me and walking to the AT-AT! I still can't believe we somehow missed the other people while walking! We need to go back!
    edited February 10, 2009
    Ann McRae wrote:
    I love the belly shot!

I am so glad that you survived that killer week of yours to go out and do this shoot!
    I think the belly shot is my favorite of the evening!

And I survived my insane week (barely) and am now paying for it because I'm fighting off a cold/flu and stuck in bed. :cry

When you come back (and I"m healthy), we have to go to Mare Island!
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    Awesome! Those fish-eye shots are great! I need to dust off my fish-eye, I bought it, used it a few times, and usually don't end up taking it with me (annoyed that I can't use a polarizer on it - but for night shots like this, I wouldn't need one).

Anyway, these are really cool unique shots, great job!
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2009
    Love those fish eye shots. clap.gif
  • tisuntisun Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2009
    aktse wrote:
    So many buildings... so little time!

And I love your work with light painting!

For shot #5, i think it's either you or Gerry, but I think that it's you! I honestly didn't know that you were in the frame and was more concerned about security driving over my camera gear! eek7.gif I shouldn't have left it on the floor!

Thank you so much for coming with me and walking to the AT-AT! I still can't believe we somehow missed the other people while walking! We need to go back!

I think I was closer to the belly of the beast (I think I see another camera in photo #5), taking this shot:

471653287_kTwjh-M.jpg
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2009
    aktse wrote:
    Are you free March 7? They're having an alumni night and I bet you can come and shoot with everyone else.

I have a shoot that morning, but my evening looks free. Where do I sign up :D
    Steve

Website
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited February 11, 2009
    Outstanding set, April! clap.gif

That's some of the most creative use of a fisheye I've seen. I love the sunset colors in the reflection of the first shot as well. Great work all around. thumb.gif

-joel
    edited February 12, 2009
    a110p0 wrote:
    I think I know where it is. I haven't explored that part of the island.
    It's at the end of Nimitz and there are lots of interesting things along the way from our meeting point. We just didn't stop for any of them, but saw people at various buildings!

472530234_oJDAL-L.jpg

I may go back on March 7 and the guy with the keys to dry docks might be there as well!

And i'm so glad to hear that your camera made it through the evening. My heart attack happened the security guard came driving up and I slowly realized that my gear was on the ground, without anyone near it! In the darkness, the guard would have missed my bag and could have easily driven over it! eek7.gif
    edited February 12, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Awesome! Those fish-eye shots are great! I need to dust off my fish-eye, I bought it, used it a few times, and usually don't end up taking it with me (annoyed that I can't use a polarizer on it - but for night shots like this, I wouldn't need one).!
    Thank you so much! I've been carrying my fisheye with me lately since it's such a tiny lens, but rarely bring it out because I have so many issues with the composition.

I ended up using it for this trip because when I got there, I realized the enormity of the metal structures. I figured the fish would be a good way to fill the frame and lot lucky with the exposure + light painting.

I would love to see some of the north west skyline in a fish :D