Options

Photoshop vs. Paint Shop Pro

thebassmanthebassman Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited July 5, 2009 in Finishing School
I've personally been using PSP for years, and have just become used to using it. I know a lot of people probably prefer PS over PSP, but was curious to see what photographers thought about the two, and see which are preferred (or if you use something else completely). :)

What photo editing software do you use? 40 votes

Photoshop
62%
Baldywxwaxpatch29Win38-55gushutchmanMolsondogpathfindercletusGREAPERtmlphotoAltProSavannahManDachcsnudelmanDIGIGOpecheneybokuDJ-S1jfriend 25 votes
Paint Shop Pro
22%
NetgardenMike-PhotosthebassmanfannestStepscmasonkds1promoguyJustRambling 9 votes
Other
2%
Nata Harli 1 vote
Several
12%
cmr164ian408EnitsuguaChatKatJAG 5 votes

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited May 4, 2004
    Several
    thebassman wrote:
    I've personally been using PSP for years, and have just become used to using it. I know a lot of people probably prefer PS over PSP, but was curious to see what photographers thought about the two, and see which are preferred (or if you use something else completely). :)
    I use a few things. Photoshop, Canon's photo stitch stuff, MS Photo Editor
    and Elements. PS more than others.

ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    DIGIGODIGIGO Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited May 4, 2004
    Photoshop
    Photoshop vs Paint Pro
    I use photoshop CS and I love it.
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited May 4, 2004
    Photoshop
    I'm really curious about this because Paint Shop Pro is *so* much cheaper. Also, I keep hearing from Paint Shop Pro users who love the program. It feels like it could be a great program that got out marketed by Adobe.

In the game design industry, almost all artists have both on their desktops and use them for different things.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited May 4, 2004
    Photoshop
    Baldy wrote:
    I'm really curious about this because Paint Shop Pro is *so* much cheaper. Also, I keep hearing from Paint Shop Pro users who love the program. It feels like it could be a great program that got out marketed by Adobe.

In the game design industry, almost all artists have both on their desktops and use them for different things.
    Baldy - Have you heard of Picture Window Pro? Norman Koren uses it and seems to get excellent results - It is not for graphic artists, but for photographers primarily. I think it sells for about $89 or so, and seems to offer a lot of control for photographers.

Norman Koren talks about contrast masking with Picture Window Pro and compares it to Photoshop here http://www.normankoren.com/PWP_contrast_masking.html

An interesting review by a Canadian author is here http://www.camerahobby.com/Digital_PictureWindowPro.htm

And the Website for PWP is here http://www.dl-c.com/Temp/

For someone who has not yet swallowed Adobe's green pill, I suspect that PWP might fill a lot of people's need for substantilly less than PSCS costs. Especially if you are not interested in shooting in RAW.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    GuzzlerGuzzler Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited May 5, 2004
    Baldy wrote:

Paint Shop Pro started out as FREEWARE. It was great for doing quick and simple stuff. It then moved to Shareware, and finally to Payware. The evolution was facinating.

I still use PSP, though not to it's fullest. I still don't 'get' layers and how to work them to their full potential.

You still can download a trial copy Paint Shop Pro. Keep in mind, the layout is different. But it is supposed to just as powerfull as PhotoShop. Give it try.
  • Options
    thebassmanthebassman Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited June 12, 2004
    Paint Shop Pro
    Yeah, I've been using PSP since it's early stages... I believe I started @ version 2, and have really downloaded or bought every version since... It works differently than PS, which I use sometimes, but I find it does pretty much everything PS does @ 1/8th the price. They've got great support forums as well... PS is probably better at "non-photograph" stuff, but in my opinion, Paint Shop Pro is as good, if not better than Photoshop with photographs. I'm probably biased since I've used it for so many years, but I think it's worth a look, especially at such a great price... I think you'd be surprised. :D
  • Options
    Nata HarliNata Harli Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited July 4, 2009
    Other
    Bump
    I've been wondering the answer to this question myself. Haven't seen any responses lately so thought I'd give it a good ole bump.

PSP Ultimate vs Photoshop CS4? Or, is this not comparing apples to apples?

I'm especially interested in taking the costs of the two into consideration in your evaluation and the fact that I'm pretty much an amateur wanting to move a little higher than PS Elements.

Thanks for your evaluations and responses.
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2009
    Several
    Bunch o' stuff
    While my primary programs are Lightroom 2.3; CS4 and Canon DPP/ZoomBrowser, I have the latest version of PSP Extreme; There are some tasks you can do in PSP that are one click fixes that required layers/masking in PS. It's great for fixing horizon lines, skin smoothing, and the "Thinify" tool for liquefy are pretty nice.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2009
    A vote for Lightcraft's Lightzone here. Surprising amount of depth for what looks like a simple application. Although if you are looking to do composited images, you'd have to look elsewhere. (I don't, so it doesn't matter to me.)
  • Options
    kds1kds1 Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2009
    Paint Shop Pro
    thebassman wrote:

I'm very interested in photographers' answers to this also. It seems like every gallery I go to, the artist refers to using Photoshop. With that in mind, I tried it (the version before this latest one, I think), but I have had a super hard time figuring it out. Essentially I gave up.

In the meantime, I had been using Corel's Paint Shop Pro Photo (that is what you mean by Paint Shop Pro, isn't it?) and it just seemed to go along really easily and intuitively (most things).

So now I have upgraded to the Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo Ultimate X2 and I really love it. But I admit that I am thinking that with Photoshop being the 'gold standard' that everyone uses, I must be missing something or not doing things that I could be doing with my images. ? ne_nau.gif

Pleeeeeze, some people give more input on this! Not only is Paint Shop Pro way less expensive, but I find it way easier to use. But is it limiting? Will I ultimately need to learn and own Photoshop?

Also - I've been getting into doing artsy stuff with photos and just got the Corel Painter X and a Wacom tablet! Just opening the box now!!!! EXCIIIIIIITED!!!!! :ivar

But please - info, thoughts on the PS or Corel Paint Shop Pro thing?
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited July 5, 2009
    Several
    I have used many different versions of different products including but not limited to...
    Nikon picture it
    nikon capture NX
    PSP 9 and X2
    corel painter essentials 4
    PS element 6
    Adobe lightroom
    CS4 and Bridge

as well as several different 'freeware' products. I am a photographer/graphic artist by trade and need good quality products that can handle big files without crashing. Here is what I have discovered in my years of doing this...

Nikon products are limited to basic photo adjustments and raw data handling but will freeze up too frequently (in my experiences).

Lightroom does about the same things as NX with handling raw images but is a step up with their being able to handle large quantity of images. This is good if you did not get a camera setting right and need to adjust all the images the same way. But I never really used that feature. I am sure there a many other features of lightroom I have not tapped into as I find I can do the same things in Adobe Bridge that came with my CS4.

Which brings me to CS4...I find that I can do some fine tuning to my images when needed such as color adjustments, they are much more easier to handle in CS4 than in PSP. As for graphic art and photo compositions, I find that CS4 to be far more complicated than PSP 9 or X2.

For jpeg handling and for graphic art and photo compositions PSP X2 wins hands down for ease of rendering and simplicity in just a few clicks. I do find that it does tent to bog down when working with large files...such as 11x17 inch graphic posters I make for a particular customer...but its do-able if you save frequently with about a 5% chance of it freezing up if too many layers are applied. To see some of the graphic art that can be done using PSP X2 check out these links.. HERE , for photo compositions: HERE.

As for PS elements 6, and Corel painter essential 4, they are fun to play with but seriously I do not have the time to use them.

So in summery, I prefer PSP X2 over CS4/Bridge for digital art and for photo compositions as well as other many options of cool filters that can be added. Although I still prefer the CS4/Bridge for downloading my photos and orginization as well as basic photo editing options.

PS...I should tell you that I really love using my wacom tablet/pen for working with both of these programs.thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif