Congratulations to flyinggina for the DSS#18 (High Key or Low Key) Winning Photo!

Comments

• DeuceFourDeuceFour Registered Users Posts: 350 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2009
    Good Work ladies and gents, and good luck on that ONE final picture!!
  • thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2009
    Congratulations everyone, what a round, it's getting seriously difficult to keep up with the standards being reached in these challenges.

Charlie
  • 300m300m Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited February 11, 2009
    Thanks to the judges and it is an honor to be included with all these great finalists. Good luck to everyone!
  • fjf511fjf511 Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited February 11, 2009
    clap.gifThere are some outstanding shots, everyone did a great job!wings.gifthumb.gifclap
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2009
    pyroprints...Yabloki na Asfalte = Marinated apples in asphalt?

What does this mean?ne_nau.gif

Thanks!

Yabloki na Asfalte = Apples on Asphalt

It's kinda of a play on a title of a song. On of my original shots was an apple on snow which i immediately titles "Yabloki na snegu" which is a pretty popular Russian song. Then I took this one, and I decided to follow the theme.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2009
    Yabloki na Asfalte = Apples on Asphalt

It's kinda of a play on a title of a song. On of my original shots was an apple on snow which i immediately titles "Yabloki na snegu" which is a pretty popular Russian song. Then I took this one, and I decided to follow the theme.

Gotchya. Doing the googling that I did, I did find it was a popular russian song. But couldn't find a direct translation anywhere. So just wanted to make sure. Thanks!
  • Karrie McDKarrie McD Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2009
    clap.gifclapclap.gif

AMAZING

clap.gifclapclap.gif
    "Whether you think you can or you can't, you are right."
  • Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2009
    Dangit. Just voted. Too many good ones, kind of had to close my eyes and click vote. I think I picked my favorite though. Very very tough decision.

Good luck to everyone!
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2009
    Oh, goodness. I think that was my toughest vote yet. I was torn between at least six of 'em! Congrats to all the entrants and these winners!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • MrsCueMrsCue Registered Users Posts: 412 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2009
    Wow! Great entries everyone. Congrats to all!!! clap.gif
    Canon EOS 40D, Canon EOS 350D, 50mm 1.8 MKII prime lens, 17-40mm f/4 L lens, 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS lens, 430 EX speedlite, Tungsten Continuous studio light, Pocket Wizards, Gary Fong Lightsphere, Stofen Omni bounce diffuser, 5in1 reflector

• FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2009
    I'm so totally honored to be among the finalists and awed by the quality of all of the entries. Seeing such amazing creativity combined with excellent technical work inspires me and pushes me to try harder and do better. All I can say to my fellow contestants (whether or not you are in the finals) is WOW.clap.gifclapclap.gif

Virginia

Email
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2009
    Great set, it's an honor to be among the final 17. Good luck to everyone! For me it was a difficult vote, there are so many good photos that are different and it's really hard to rank them.
  • PaulThomasMcKeePaulThomasMcKee Registered Users Posts: 429 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2009
    So many really great entries this round! But, there was one in particular that I was especially smitten by - so my vote actually came unusually easily this time.

It truely is an honor to have had my entry included here.
  • PexiPexi Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited February 13, 2009
    So many really great entries this round! But, there was one in particular that I was especially smitten by - so my vote actually came unusually easily this time.

It truely is an honor to have had my entry included here.

What he said. Exactly. Same applies to me.
    Life is pretty straight without motorcycling
  • TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2009
    :-( Can't vote. I love 3 shots equally, and I'm not choosing one at random. Kerry, Jag, and Kev. Saw these shots developed from their 'rough draft' to the master peices that they are now.

Congrats to everyone that participated. Good luck to all.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2009
    ::checks thread every 5 minutes to see if the poll has closed yet::

While each and every one of the finalists is a winner in my book, I'm dying to see the results on this one! clap.gifclapclap.gif
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2009
    And the winner is...
    flyinggina - Faust! A huge congratulations to you! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

466656047_RnzSF-L.jpg

The following photographers need to get super-busy shooting for the current Mega-Challenge:

flyinggina - Faust
    coscorrosa - A Touch of Grey
    Llywellyn - The Waiting
    JAG – Isolation
    PaulThomasMcKee - Film Noir

wings.gif
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2009
    WHHHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!! clap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gif Congrats to FG and the other (awesome) photographs!!!!! This one was a nailbiter for sure but I'm happy that my top 6 picks are the same as the poll's on this occasion. FANTASTIC shots everybody!!!!!!!
  • KurtPrestonKurtPreston Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2009
    Congrats! That was a wonderful entry!
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2009
    Gratz! Hopefully it didn't take actually selling your soul to come up with such a great concept. mwink.gif
  • ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2009
    clap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gifclap
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2009
    Huge congrats to the winner and runners up, what a superb collection of images, well done!

Charlie
  • KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2009
    Congrats Virginia! Excellent win for an excellent photo! Thank you to those who voted for Knight Lights. Thank you also to Emily for the theme. I learned something new and that's the best part of these challenges. I really enjoy watching all of us grow, individually and as a group. In my eyes, anyone who enters is already a winner.
    — Kevin
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • achambersachambers Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2009
    Congrats Gina:D
    Alan Chambers

www.achambersphoto.com

"The point in life isn't to arrive at our final destination well preserved and in pristine condition, but rather to slide in sideways yelling.....Holy cow, what a ride."
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2009
    OMG. I'm shocked, amazed and very humbled to have won this challenge that had so many marvelous entries.

Many people contributed to my win, starting with dh, who let me take over our living room for my studio, patiently posed, changed clothes, pushed his glasses down his nose even though it didn't feel right and otherwise was cheerful and patient over the two days I worked on my entry. Not only that, he served as a capable assistant, helping me set up my backdrop and lighting equipment.

I owe much to Joe McNally, whose marvelous Scott Kelby on-line training videos and his book, The Moment It Clicks, introduced me to the light absorbing material I used for the backdrop and gave me ideas on how to create the lighting that I wanted. I'll be taking his course on location lighting at the Santa Fe Workshops later this month. I can't wait.

And what can I say about the dGrin community. You set very high standards for yourselves and others in a friendly, constructive way that encourages us all to do better.

A special thank you to Divamum who gave me the perfect title for the photo and to my family and friends who give me encouragement when I need it most.

Finally, my very warm thanks to a fellow contestant who sent me a wonderfully encouraging PM prior to the announcement of the finalists. You know who you are and you are the best.

As for selling my soul, that happened when I bought a state-of-the art 3 MP point and shoot in 2000. Too late to turn back now.

Virginia

Email
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited February 13, 2009
    Congrates to Virginia for a spectacular win!! Thank you so much all who voted me into the top 5!! yippee!wings.gifwings.gif

Lots of great work everybody! On to the next mega round! thumb.gif
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2009
    Well done, Virginia! clap.gif
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2009
    Congratulations, Virginia!!! What a fabulous image you created! So very well done! clap.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Velvet-ArtVelvet-Art Registered Users Posts: 292 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2009
    Congrats to you Virginia, and to all the finalists, I look forward to seeing what you all produce for the mega-challenge.

Well done everyone.

Tim
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2009
    Congratulations Virginia on the landslide victory! Definitely a worthy choice for #1, a *great* idea and perfect execution, and definitely one of my favorites from this round. :D

Also congrats to all the other finalists, and thanks to everyone who voted for my Grey Crowned Crane photo, next time I'm at Cougar Mountain Zoo I'll let him know (that is if I can pick him out from the other dozen cranes that look exactly the same headscratch.gif).

Hopefully I can think of something for the Mega Challenge.