A valentine surprise

JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
edited February 14, 2009 in People
On Sunday, two ladies (one of them my sister) did a session with me for their husbands as surprises for Valentines. I'm only sharing on here as their husbands have facebook and I don't want to post it there or on my blog. The shorter haired woman is my youngest sister.
471169797_LRGy2-L.jpg
471169184_FQ2hn-L.jpg
Her husband loves guns and camo. :) I know, I need more fill for her eyes.
471168636_WsQXN-L.jpg
471168183_5EDKA-L.jpg
470969854_3HUKe-L.jpg
470973012_sTHLn-L.jpg
471162897_487ni-L.jpg

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    #2 and #6 work for me!

#3 would been better, I think, had she been holding the weapon with a little more authority and in her right hand - unless she's left handed :D The shadows of her eyes, contrary to your comment, I think work well. Catchlights might be nice, but not necessarily required. I like the way you've been able to seperate her from the background - well done there. The crop isn't working - you've got just enough of her arm there to make one wonder what they are seeing.
  • JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    #2 and #6 work for me!

#3 would been better, I think, had she been holding the weapon with a little more authority and in her right hand - unless she's left handed :D The shadows of her eyes, contrary to your comment, I think work well. Catchlights might be nice, but not necessarily required. I like the way you've been able to seperate her from the background - well done there. The crop isn't working - you've got just enough of her arm there to make one wonder what they are seeing.

I agree with your comment on the crop. I see what you mean. (#4, right?)

This was her idea, with the gun, but she was afraid to hold it and none of us knew how to handle a gun. Both sessions were hysterical!rolleyes1.gif
  • geospatial_junkiegeospatial_junkie Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    On Sunday, two ladies (one of them my sister) did a session with me for their husbands as surprises for Valentines. I'm only sharing on here as their husbands have facebook and I don't want to post it there or on my blog. The shorter haired woman is my youngest sister.
    471169797_LRGy2-L.jpg
    471169184_FQ2hn-L.jpg
    Her husband loves guns and camo. :) I know, I need more fill for her eyes.
    471168636_WsQXN-L.jpg
    471168183_5EDKA-L.jpg
    470969854_3HUKe-L.jpg
    470973012_sTHLn-L.jpg
    471162897_487ni-L.jpg

From what I see:

#1. The white balance seems a little on the cool side in this photo and there are no catchlight in her eyes. A reflector would have done wonders for this shot.

#2. Disagree with Scott here. My main contention is this. Eyes are usually the most arresting feature of an portrait. If you aren't showing them, then the pose had better be dramatic enough to stand on its own. This does not seems to be the case. Maybe change it back to colour to emphasize the tattoo? Also, watch your highlights and make sure that they aren't blown out (as is the case in her white shirt).

#3. It looks as if she has a black eye in this shot. Also both of her eyes are way too dark. An off-camera flash and reflector would have helped here as well. Also, if her husband likes camo, why not emphasize that? The old tone to the photo does nothing for this and in fact kind of disguises it.

#4. See #3.

#5. Nice pose here! The black background helps streamline her figure. I also like the side lighting (almost like a bit of backlight) on the side of her head. I would suggest not to overdo it on the skin smoothing (blur effect). You are really losing a lot sharpness here (unless it is how you downscaled the image).

#6. There are the catchlights! Nice job on this one. This is by far, your best image (my fiancé is sitting here and she also agrees). There are several things to watch on this one as well though. First, the elbow appears to be cut off. You are perilously close to the "no cutting off at joints" rule. Also, a reflector on her left side would have helped bring out that side of her face a little bit better.

#7. Nice pose here and slightly suggestive for her hubby, but the lighting appears to be off as opposed to the well-lit image in #6. Also, it looks like there are portions of almost overblown skin. I would clone out the pimple on her neck (not the mole) and smooth out her arm on the left hand side. Watch the shadows too (see the large round shadow on her blouse and skin).

This is just my take and I'm sure others may disagree. I hope I helped a bit! ne_nau.gif
    "They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    I agree with your comment on the crop. I see what you mean. (#4, right?)

This was her idea, with the gun, but she was afraid to hold it and none of us knew how to handle a gun. Both sessions were hysterical!rolleyes1.gif
    No, #3 - the one with the weapon. You have just a sliver of her right arm at the bottom of the frame - distracting.
  • JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    i really appreciate the feedback. :)

Do you ever feel like you've got it, you are doing good....then one day if seems as if you forgot all you knew?

That's me here lately. :( Not sure why
  • MDalbyMDalby Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    Great job on #6. None of the others really work for me.
    Nikon D4, 400 2.8 AF-I, 70-200mm 2.8 VR II, 24-70 2.8
    CBS Sports MaxPreps Shooter
    http://DalbyPhoto.com
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2009
    Is it me, or does your sister look ALOT like your older daughter?

Caroline
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2009
    The shot of the 1st lady aren't doing it for me. The lighting in 1 and 3 is bit too dramatic combined with a very austere look on her face! She needs to smile and loosen up! same with 7.

#6 is a great shot. thumb.gif Very warm and inviting.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2009
    yes
    Julie, Yes I know how you feel. Some days you nail everything and then once in a while you wonder what went wrong. I am of the mind only #6 works for me too. At least they're relatives.

I had my twin granddaughters come up to my studio earlier this year 90 minutes away. I couldn't for the life of me get them posed the way I wanted, they were in a teenage mood, and we just didn't click. Only a hand full of the images were ok for what I wanted and then the card corrupted when I uploaded it. The images were recovered but I scrapped the whole shoot. Can't do that for clients. What a fluke!
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2009
    comparing 6 and 7. . .

I like the WB in 7 better, but the shadows are a little harsh. The lighting is softer in 6, but her skin a tad washed out.

these are just nit pics and I might well be wrong.

Nice set.
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2009
    i really appreciate the feedback. :)

Do you ever feel like you've got it, you are doing good....then one day if seems as if you forgot all you knew?

That's me here lately. :( Not sure why

I feel your pain.