Carroll Shelby State Hospital

ktskts Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
edited February 11, 2009 in Landscapes
This building had a lot of weird about it. It was one of several buildings in an abandoned section of a large state mental institution. the mix of old construction in the basement, the polynesian tile in one of the rooms, to more modern updates in some areas, to a tunnel that went for nearly half a mile into... nothing.

unfortunately a nosy bus driver ended the day a bit early for us. i'll get back here soon enough however...

blue-door.jpg

table.jpg

tile.jpg

hallway1.jpg

tres.jpg

door-wall.jpg

missing.jpg

resting-place.jpg

nursefinders.jpg

Comments

• DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    A nosy bus driver? That sounds like a tale in itself :D

Lovely lighting showing all the variety of textures. Love the tile work too!
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    Great textures! and the light is just beautiful! Well done!
  • ktskts Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    Dee wrote:
    A nosy bus driver? That sounds like a tale in itself :D

Not too good of a story unfortunately, as we were getting ready to slip into the building next to the building these shots are from a bus driver (small 15 person sized bus) pulled up to a building across the courtyard from where we were. I'm pretty sure he was just looking for a spot to hide and take a nap for a bit but he kept staring at us and trying to figure out what we were doing. We figured it best to call it quits then to continue in and have him call the police department on site.
  • The Wild EyeThe Wild Eye Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    kts wrote:
    This building had a lot of weird about it. It was one of several buildings in an abandoned section of a large state mental institution. the mix of old construction in the basement, the polynesian tile in one of the rooms, to more modern updates in some areas, to a tunnel that went for nearly half a mile into... nothing.

unfortunately a nosy bus driver ended the day a bit early for us. i'll get back here soon enough however...

blue-door.jpg

Great stuff here!! This shot would be really cool black and white but leave just the door in color. Where is this at??
    The Wild Eye

Canon 1D Mark II, 16-35mm, 28-135mm, 50mm, 100-400mm, 1.4X, 600mm FD & 1.4X FD.

"Wildlife photography drives my passion. But there is something about being in the midst of a scenic view that takes your breath away."

www.SamSwartz.Net
  • summerzsummerz Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    Love abandoned stuff thanks, very nice.thumb.gif
    The stories it could tell.......
  • ktskts Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    Great stuff here!! This shot would be really cool black and white but leave just the door in color. Where is this at??

I haven't played with selective saturation/desaturation, I think you're right that would be cool, I'll have to give it a shot.

This building is located in the Baltimore/DC metro area.
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    Awesome set as usual thumb.gif
  • AAABluestockingAAABluestocking Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2009
    Awesome textures.
    My SmugMug Galleries
    Learn the various techniques to make all things possible and then choose deliberately which you actually want-rutt
  • ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2009
    Intresting indeed! Nice to see a place with no darn tags all over it.
  • GrinningBearGrinningBear Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited February 11, 2009
    Great series of pics. Something about old buildings that can just let your imagination run wild.
    Really like the variety of colors and textures in the shots, not to mention the range of light.

clap.gif

Wish I could find some buildings like that near me....

Regards,
    Robert