First Post, New to DSLR, Critique my purchase

JPerkinsJPerkins Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
edited February 17, 2009 in Cameras
Hi guys, great forum here! I came over from ADVrider.com. I already have a smugmug account.

I just spent a bunch of money and am second guessing my purchases. Let me start off by saying I know very little about DSLR's and all the jargon etc. I have used P&S cameras and that's it. However, I'm an avid reader and learn fast (usually.) I currently own a Nikon S210 (not a bad little camera but limited) and an Olympus 1030SW. The Olympus is great for high danger situations but the images kind of stink unless its really bright. Dark light is very grainy.

Ok, so critique my purchase and let me know what I did wrong. Budget was circa $1500 and I'm going to use this equipment to document my motorcycle travels, my dogs and document my time at the beach (Panama City, FL). I bought this stuff from Amazon and Cameta Camera.

Nikon D60
Nikon 18-55 AF-S VR
16GB SDHC class 6
EN-EL9 (additional)
Nikon Case
Misc. kit stuff.
This kit was $570.00

Nikon 70-300mm ED AF-S VR
Hoya 67mm UV Filter
Misc. Kit stuff
This kit was $470.00

Hoya Pro-1 52mm UV Filter $27.00

Nikon SB400
Sto-Fen OMNI bounce diffuser
4 Batteries plus charger
This kit was $140.00

Made Black Camera Armor for D60 $39.00

2 EN EL9 Nikon Batteries plus Wall/Car charger $24.00

Nikon ML-L3 Remote Control $17.00

Pelican 1550 Case with pluckable Foam $124.00

Total before shipping: $1411.00
Total Shipping : $48.00
Grand Total: $1459.00

My Wish List: Sigma 10-20 AF-S approx $500.00

So, what did I do wrong, what should I not have bought and what should I have bought instead. Is there anything critical to this setup that I completely missed?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the novel. This has been a complete headache to research and buy. I wish I knew about this forum before taking the plunge but the stuff is still on the way, in the box. I could always return it if I messed up bad.

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    My personal preference for $1500 would have been the d90 + sb600. I had teh d40x and the not 6 months later I was regretting not being able to use non-afs lens. If the d60 is the end of the road for you then you set up is fine..except the flash.

The sb600 is a much more versatile flash the the sb400 for $70 more. And I thought the stofen omni bounce won;t fit on the sb400?
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • JPerkinsJPerkins Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    Qarik wrote:
    My personal preference for $1500 would have been the d90 + sb600. I had teh d40x and the not 6 months later I was regretting not being able to use non-afs lens. If the d60 is the end of the road for you then you set up is fine..except the flash.

The sb600 is a much more versatile flash the the sb400 for $70 more. And I thought the stofen omni bounce won;t fit on the sb400?

Yeah, I had read about the limitations of the D40/x/60 but since I'm new to DSLR's I guess I don't know what I'm missing. I'm not sure about the flash, I guess I can send it back, keep the stofen and get a sb600 if it makes that big of a difference. I figured I could always upgrade the body later and I'm not too familiar with lenses yet but it looks like Nikon is going to try to cater more to the low end crowd, which I think I am.

Thanks for the info!
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    Looks like you got some great stuff! I am sure you will be very pleased with it. Show us some pix!
    Best of luck!
  • darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    Looks like a decent starter kit to me. The only thing I see missing is some sort of stableizer. Tripod or Monopod. Something to keep your camera still when you want to get the wonderful sunset/sunrise shots at the beach.
    ~ Lisa
    edited February 10, 2009
    darkdragon wrote:
    Looks like a decent starter kit to me. The only thing I see missing is some sort of stableizer. Tripod or Monopod. Something to keep your camera still when you want to get the wonderful sunset/sunrise shots at the beach.

Doh! I have a sunpak 6060 that I bought some time ago. Think it will be ok? I was looking at gorillapods for when I take motorcycle trips. Anyone know about those?

I have "In transit" anxiety. Can't wait to get my grubby paws on the gear. wings.gif
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited February 10, 2009
    JPerkins, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

It is always dangerous to second guess any major purchase. The "what if"s start to pile up and you lose a lot of momentum, not to mention losing confidence.

What you have purchased is "sooo" much better than what you had, it will take you quite a while to discover many true limitations.

Yes, a better flash will allow more moderate apertures which you will appreciate using those lenses indoors. I do suggest the use of another flash modifier as well, perhaps a Demb FlipIt as they are very compact and lightweight.

http://www.dembflashproducts.com/flipit/
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited February 10, 2009
    I think you did a fine job. Like Ziggy says, it's hard not to question these major purchases.

Instead, I'd get to work on documenting those M/C journeys thumb.gif

And welcome to dgrin!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    JPerkins wrote:
    Doh! I have a sunpak 6060 that I bought some time ago. Think it will be ok? I was looking at gorillapods for when I take motorcycle trips. Anyone know about those?

I have a gorillapod and I do not recommend it at all for use with even a small dSLR. The legs are fine, but the ball head is really weak and renders it useless (at least with any of my lenses).

Your Sunpak should be fine as long as you don't extend the legs. I have the same one and when I put my cam and a lens on it it is extremely wobbly and I don't feel safe leaving my cam on it and walking off. Should work fine if you want to just have a steady place to rest the camera while you still have the strap around your neck. :D

For future use or to leave your camera without tethering yourself too it, you might want to look into a more robust tripod. Personally I like the build quality of the Manfrottos, but some people think they are too heavy. Up to you, you'll need to try some out for yourself at a store to really decide.
    ~ Lisa
    edited February 10, 2009
    Thanks for the advice guys. I knew registering here was a good idea.

2 more days until I get the major part of the purchase. I'm psyched. :ivar
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    sounds like a decent package......as darkdragon suggest a robust tri or mono pod would be of great assistance......I carry a Giottos 4 section tripod along with a Giottos P-pod (mono pod that has auxiliary legs for use as a tripod of sorts).....do a Google for Giottos......I gave less than $200 for both of mine together off ebay......they are very sturdy and reliable and I like the removable center column for close up work when out in the woods and fields......................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2009
    I think you are missing a decent, sturdy, light-weight tripod, a good ballhead, and associated QR plates.

I think you may have made a mistake in getting the pluckable foam. I went that route and found that I didn't have the have storage space I thought I would have. I went back an bought the dividers. This resulted in about a 2x increase in capacity. And, because my gear is packed quite tightly, I didn't sacrifice protection for the gear.

Like Ziggy said, I think you will be so pleased with your gear - a huge jump up from what you were using before.
  • eminarteminart Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited February 11, 2009
    It looks like you got a lot of stuff for a decent price.

If I had $1500 and the chance to start over, I'd probably buy a refurbished D80 body, a Nikon 50mm prime, and the best __ - 200mm zoom I could get with what I had left.

But I don't think you went wrong.
    edited February 11, 2009
    Thanks for all the replies. Seriously. You guys have me looking at other camera bodies already. headscratch.gif I think I'm going to wear this D60 out just learning so it won't be a loss. I should be able to get a decent price out of it if I take care of it I hope.

Does anyone know when the 35mm AF-S prime lens is going to be available?

I also noticed nobody mentioned anything about the 10-20 sigma HSM. I really do want some wide angle shots. Is there a better lens for that application?

I started looking at ways to do post processing also. Can anyone offer a clue as to which software will work with the Nikon RAW's. I won't need anything too complex but I don't want to regret buying something that won't work well for me. Thanks again. bowdown.gif
  • eminarteminart Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited February 11, 2009
    JPerkins wrote:
    I started looking at ways to do post processing also. Can anyone offer a clue as to which software will work with the Nikon RAW's. I won't need anything too complex but I don't want to regret buying something that won't work well for me. Thanks again. bowdown.gif

Photoshop CS3 and above has RAW conversion. That may be overkill for you though. I'm not sure about the "Elements" versions of PS, but they probably offer RAW conversion as well.
  • cpallencpallen Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited February 11, 2009
    Nikon AF-S 35mm f/1.8G (DX)
    Nikon just announced this lens the other day.

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-35mm-AF-S-Digital-Cameras/dp/B001S2PPT0

You can preorder it for $200. Looks like it will be a great lens w/ a metal mount, A/M and M modes. I have been struggling with buying a 50mm f/1.4 vs f/1.8 vs 35mm f/2 for weeks, and bingo this was released.

There's also the Nikon AF-S 50mm f/1.4G
    http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-AF-S-NIKKOR-50mm-1-4G/dp/B001GCVA0U

but it's significantly more money.

I'm with you on the analysis paralysis about what you bought, what your gonna buy, etc. I stepped up from point and shoots to a used D80 with an 18-70 last month. The 70-300 you bought is also on my list along with the SB600. There really are no bad camera these days so any error you might make will only be a small matter of degree.
    edited February 11, 2009
    cpallen wrote:

I'm with you on the analysis paralysis about what you bought, what your gonna buy, etc.

Man, it was nerve wracking for a while. I pulled the trigger, canceled the order, pulled the trigger, canceled the order. I think amazon thinks I'm a nutcase.
    edited February 12, 2009
    I think I'm really going to like this Camera. Here's one of my first pics....

472567783_jsP98-L.jpg
    edited February 12, 2009
    Here's a couple more...I shot all these in auto.

472572100_jcVko-L.jpg

472572278_fx9Lh-L.jpg

472572464_HkT6n-L.jpg
  • wesleytwesleyt Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2009
    Congrats on your new camera! Nice pics; I really like the first one.
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2009
    Great pix! I think you will be satisfied for a long time!
  • longbow65longbow65 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited February 16, 2009
    JPerkins -- wow a fellow ADVRider member!

I am going through an emotional event similar to yours, only mine is worse. I am trying to decide on a new camera as well as new motorcycle.... thumb.gifheadscratch.gif

LB65
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited February 16, 2009
    longbow65 wrote:
    JPerkins -- wow a fellow ADVRider member!

I am going through an emotional event similar to yours, only mine is worse. I am trying to decide on a new camera as well as new motorcycle.... thumb.gifheadscratch.gif

LB65
    Do it. Get what you want :D
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    JPerkins wrote:
    I also noticed nobody mentioned anything about the 10-20 sigma HSM. I really do want some wide angle shots. Is there a better lens for that application?

Sigma makes some very fine 3rd party lenses......I have seen good words on here about the 10-20 and never anything bad........

I started looking at ways to do post processing also. Can anyone offer a clue as to which software will work with the Nikon RAW's.

take a look at the trial version of lightroom 2........it does a lot more than just convert raws.......it can be your Digital Asset Management software also.......you read Scott kelbys book "LightRoom 2 for digital photographers".......before I buy books I usually go to my nearest borders or barnes and noble to see if I like the book..................

I won't need anything too complex but I don't want to regret buying something that won't work well for me.

LightRoom 2........ it will do you good................

Thanks again. bowdown.gif

answers above in large bold font
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    Motorcycles make great tripods
    I have a RAM Mount System (http://www.ram-mount.com/) for some of my accessories (farkles) and got the Camera Adapter Plate for my P&S. I do not know the Nikon line well enough to know if it is sturdy/beefy enough for your camera. However I am sure that there are other ways to mount a camera to a motorcycle :)
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
    edited February 17, 2009
    Thanks guys, excellent replies.

I'm pretty excited, already have a bunch of snaps.

See ya 'round!