Newspaper is BUTCHERING photos

MDalbyMDalby Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
edited February 14, 2009 in Sports
Sheesh, My weekly is butchering my shots when they post to the web edition. The shots look good in print but the web they are TERRIBLE. I am wondering if I need ot give the shots to them in two different qualities, one for print and one for web so they don't have to save it differently.

Here is my shot and how it turned out on the web. Any thoughts on what I can do differently so it posts OK on the web for them?

470945056_EASfe-L.jpg

05_spts_bbb_legend_pk.jpg
Nikon D4, 400 2.8 AF-I, 70-200mm 2.8 VR II, 24-70 2.8
CBS Sports MaxPreps Shooter
http://DalbyPhoto.com

Comments

• KMCCKMCC Registered Users Posts: 717 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    At least they didn't crop the action right out of the shot; as I've seen done before.

I figure if the paper is paying for my images, they unfortunately have the right to mangle them.

Kent
    "Not everybody trusts paintings, but people believe photographs."- Ansel Adams
    Web site
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    yeah once you sell your rights away....well they are gone........it looks to me that once they have done their half toning they save a jpg of that at web resolution and post it.......since the half toning gets rid of a lot of information and then saving for the web gets rid of more......well yours don't look that bad.....I have seen worse.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• donekdonek Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    Mark,

When they print on newsprint, they tend to brighten things up quite a bit. This is done because the paper is sort of tan color. If they don't everything looks really dark. My guess is, they are editing and saving to the original file. As a result, they post the same thing they print.
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

aaaaa.... who am I kidding!

whoever dies with the biggest coolest piece of glass, wins!
  • clcoroniosclcoronios Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited February 13, 2009
    Have you tried talking to the production folks at the paper? I'd do that - suggesting that you could send them a print file and a web file.

They also removed your copyright from the web version. That would NOT make me happy.

C
    Carol Lynn Coronios
    As You Like It Productions
    Equine photography in the northeast
    Chatham, NY
  • aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2009
    clcoronios wrote:
    ......They also removed your copyright from the web version. That would NOT make me happy.

C

Interesting observation. Were originals provided with with and without watermark? Not an easy exercise to remove that watermark. Post-post-processing to remove the watermark may be tied to the final recoloring of the web version. If original was only provided with the watermark, is its removal a breach?
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2009
    clcoronios wrote:
    Have you tried talking to the production folks at the paper? I'd do that - suggesting that you could send them a print file and a web file.

They also removed your copyright from the web version. That would NOT make me happy.

C

When you freelance, you lose all rights to the photograph unless you submit and don't get paid, at least that's the way it usually works. I freelance and those are my terms. However, what I don't send to the paper I can post on my website and sell the pictures.

This has to be an original. A publication is not going to take anything with a watermark.

Actually, I am surprised the paper would allow reproducing even on here if the picture was bought.
    edited February 13, 2009
    Hmmmm....when a publication uses one of my photos, a big part of the contract is leaving my copyright in place and giving photo credit.

The first image posted DOES have the copyright - maybe I misunderstood. I thought the first was print and the smaller was web.

Carol
    Carol Lynn Coronios
    Chatham, NY
    edited February 13, 2009
    clcoronios wrote:
    Hmmmm....when a publication uses one of my photos, a big part of the contract is leaving my copyright in place and giving photo credit.

The first image posted DOES have the copyright - maybe I misunderstood. I thought the first was print and the smaller was web.

Carol

Newspapers are different. I freelance for a newspaper and a magazine. The magazine pays me for a one time usage and I retain the rights.

I sell the paper the images and as a result, they own the copyright.

Copyright and watermark are different issues. I don't see too many pictures published that have the watermarks with them.
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2009
    KMCC wrote:
    At least they didn't crop the action right out of the shot; as I've seen done before.

Sometimes you can work with the web master or whomever works the site, but often you just enjoy the cash and hope people realize that your work is better than being presented.
    Steve

Website
  • VinnyC01VinnyC01 Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited February 13, 2009
    Sometimes you can work with the web master or whomever works the site, but often you just enjoy the cash and hope people realize that your work is better than being presented.

I am glad you posted this. I thought it was me.

A player scored her 1000th point. They took the lay-up shot and the shot with the player, ball, coach. I posted it online, etc. Looked great!

The next day, the paper came out and it was all over exposed, just horrible. Much like they did to yours. My name right under it! Upsetting - as I am sure you were.

Thank you again for keeping me some what sane.'
    edited February 14, 2009
    jonh68 wrote:
    Newspapers are different. I freelance for a newspaper and a magazine. The magazine pays me for a one time usage and I retain the rights.

I sell the paper the images and as a result, they own the copyright.

Copyright and watermark are different issues. I don't see too many pictures published that have the watermarks with them.

OK - haven't dealt with papers. Good to know.

I do understand the difference between copyright and watermark. We all sign so differently, I assumed the (what may just be a) watermark on the first image to be the way the photog signs.

C
    Carol Lynn Coronios
    Chatham, NY
    edited February 14, 2009
    clcoronios wrote:
    OK - haven't dealt with papers. Good to know.

I do understand the difference between copyright and watermark. We all sign so differently, I assumed the (what may just be a) watermark on the first image to be the way the photog signs.

C

thumb.gif