Options

some good old fashion restoration work

yoyomayoyoma Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
edited February 20, 2009 in Finishing School
Here's a photo restoration I did. Any suggestions before I send it out?

Original:
3271688946_f83f687d22_b.jpg

After:
3271689156_29def98c4d_b.jpg

Comments

• Options
    clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2009
    Wow! Looks pretty good.
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
  • Options
    fjf511fjf511 Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited February 11, 2009
    :DIt looks good I'm sure they will be happy.clap.gif
  • Options
    aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2009
    Very nice job! You might consider warming up the picture a bit. Maybe a very slight sepia tone to it. IMHO, the raw B&W just doesn't quite feel right. I think warming it up would make it feel more "vintage".
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • Options
    curvemeistercurvemeister Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited February 11, 2009
    I think the customer will be very pleased with your restoration. I have a couple of suggestions that might improve the image.

I would remove the uneven gray texture from the coat. In Photoshop this could be done using a brush in darken mode. A more flexible approach would be to paint on a new layer, set the layer to darken mode, and use the blend if sliders and layer transparency to get a natural look.

An even smaller detail is that the additional crease near the left corner of his mouth looks like an artifact. I would either remove it or blend it down to 30 percent or so, if you decide the crease belongs there.
  • Options
    yoyomayoyoma Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited February 12, 2009
    Thanks for all the comments, especially for the good suggestions from Curvemeister and AJ
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2009
    bigllama62 wrote:
    I don't know about you but I am pleasantly surprised with -SPAM LINK DELETED-mod

This has relevancy how??????

YoYoma........wish I had know of your skills when I needed similar done to an 1890's wedding photo......finally sent it off to INDIA and pleasantly surprised what $10 and 24 hours could produce......but I lost his email addy....................btw how's the cello treating ya:D:D:D seriously I got to work with Master YoYoMa many years ago for about an hour of video recording for a Tv station...........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website