Epiphyllum Oxypetalum

SventekozSventekoz Registered Users Posts: 500 Major grins
edited January 2, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
This is going to be a post about how dumb I am, in the hope that others will learn from my mistakes.

I've been waiting for AGES for this plant to flower. It only flowers for one night, and has a magnificent scent. Last night, I was lucky enough to have two blooms open. I had everything set up. Tripod. Light meter. Remote release. BUT - I forgot to check my last ISO setting. I had been mucking around with the ISO settings, just to compare what they did. I left it on ISO 3200. Sigh. Noise city!

I'll keep playing around with the images and see what I can salvage, but here are a couple of the better ones.

471781043_t5khz-L.jpg

471819739_TGBHL-L.jpg
John

Comments

• erisian popeerisian pope Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited February 11, 2009
    So spectacular!!! I am quite envious - my Epi has yet to bloom.
    - Christian
    My Web Gallery
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2009
    Sventekoz wrote:
    This is going to be a post about how dumb I am, in the hope that others will learn from my mistakes.

I've been waiting for AGES for this plant to flower. It only flowers for one night, and has a magnificent scent. Last night, I was lucky enough to have two blooms open. I had everything set up. Tripod. Light meter. Remote release. BUT - I forgot to check my last ISO setting. I had been mucking around with the ISO settings, just to compare what they did. I left it on ISO 3200. Sigh. Noise city!

I'll keep playing around with the images and see what I can salvage, but here are a couple of the better ones.

I'm sure everyone has made that same mistake at least once Sven.
    That's quite a pretty flower, I like the way the outer petals splay around in a circle.

The inside section of the flower looks pretty interesting.

Is something eating the plant? the green area look like they are either being eaten or dying?

Thanks for sharing thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • SventekozSventekoz Registered Users Posts: 500 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2009
    Skippy wrote:
    Is something eating the plant? the green area look like they are either being eaten or dying?

No - I've rescued it from a very dodgy pot where it was being burned from the sun. It's responding very well to some TLC! :)
    John
    edited February 13, 2009
    Well, after much faffing around, this seems to be the best I can do. Unfortunately, my incompetence exceeds the ability of technology to resurrect a dud photo.

The great news is that there are two more buds forming! That will mean I'll have five flowers in a season, which is phenomenal. I'm usually only lucky enough to have one or two.

472878401_i2srt-L.jpg

472878725_23WEM-L.jpg
    John
    edited January 1, 2011
    Just a quick update to this thread - only because the plant flowered again last night and I wanted to capture some images with the new camera. Both were taken with my 50mm 1.4G lens on a D7000.

1/100s, f/10, ISO1600
    1143305478_BkVRe-XL.jpg

1/15s, f9, ISO800
    1143854026_BDUBS-XL.jpg
    John
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2011
    Nicely captured. Wish I could smell them! I can understand your excitement!clap.gif

What lighting did you use?

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
    edited January 1, 2011
    Thanks Neil. The lighting was probably overly simple - an SB-600 on-camera flash, with a focusable (is that a word) LED Lenser torch to throw some light into the interior of the flower.
    John
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2011
    Sventekoz wrote: »
    Thanks Neil. The lighting was probably overly simple - an SB-600 on-camera flash, with a focusable (is that a word) LED Lenser torch to throw some light into the interior of the flower.

Thanks. Interesting. Worked quite well, plenty of detail and shadows mild.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix