Cheap D80 vs. Saving for a D90

bandgeekndbbandgeekndb Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
edited February 11, 2009 in Cameras
So, now I'm in another wonderful predicament with upgrading. I really appreciate everything I gained from my previous upgrade thread and now I thought I'd pose a more specific question.

I have the opportunity to purchase a lightly used D80, with grip, the wired remote (I already have the wireless one for my d40), and 2 batteries for $500. Right now, the seller is holding this for me while I save up some money, but before I made them hold it too long, I thought I'd ask.

I've lasted a whopping 6-8 months with my D40 before I felt the need to upgrade. I'd rather get a bit more out of the next body to keep my wallet happier. :rolleyes

I believe the offer above is a great value, especially since I'm sure the equipment is in excellent condition. I'm just afraid I'll be yearning for the D90 before too long.

So, in all of your humble opinions, does the strength of the D80 and the package I'm getting (and the price) outweigh the benefits of the D90? I'm a college student (currently unemployed sadly) so money is an issue sadly. Photography is a nasty money hole! :rofl

I could survive with the D40 until I had enough for the D90, but I wanted everyone's opinions on the D80 first.

Specifically, I'm looking for better AF and high ISO performance. I'm being drawn more and more towards sports shooting and I need something better than my D40 for that. I'd also like to get away from AF-S lenses, but I know both the D80 and the D90 take care of that.

Thank you for the wonderful advice in the past, I look forward to hearing what you have to say this time around.
Nikon D7000, D90

Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8
Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited February 11, 2009
    There is no absolutely right answer. Both the Nikon D80 and D90 are great cameras in the right hands. The D90 will do better in low light, high-ISO situations, but it lacks the AF of the D300, for instance, which is much better suited to sports.

Sports shooting is very demanding and requires a lot from both camera and lens, not to mention a lot from the photographer.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • bandgeekndbbandgeekndb Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2009
    Thanks, I appreciate the input. I know I have a lot of work to do as well, but I think a slightly better camera will help me move forward. The photographer makes the shot, but a better camera gives you a better chance to get that shot.

So, it sounds like you're voting for the D90 here, since I don't have the money for the D300. I would feel bad wasting a D300 on me right now, I don't do enough sports yet to justify that!

I know the D90 is technically the upgrade to the D80, but I was hoping the D80 would be enough to make me forget how much I can't afford the D90! :cry

Anyway, thanks!
    Nikon D7000, D90

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2009
    I started with the d40x and upgraded to the d90. The d40x was a fine camera but I felt limited on my lens choices and nit satisfied with the iso. The d90 was really worth it wrt to the money I spent. Sooo many more features and excellent high iso performance. imo judging on your upgrade lust..just save for the d90.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2009
    The camera is a tool. No matter what system you use, it still requires the ability of the operator to capture great photos.
    Last year I upgraded from the D50 to the D3. The quality of my images have not changed. I can take more pictures in a second, I can shoot in much lower light, and I can make larger prints, but the image is still the image.
    As your photography grows, better tools can make your job a little easier, but they don't make the job better.

As far as upgrades go, that desire never goes away. If you saved up for a D90 at some point you will want a D300 or D3 or whatever better model comes out in the coming years. I guarantee the D3 will not be my last body. You should focus more on quality glass than with bodies. No matter what body you move to in the coming years, quality glass moves with you.
    Steve

Website
  • bandgeekndbbandgeekndb Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2009
    The camera is a tool. No matter what system you use, it still requires the ability of the operator to capture great photos.
    Last year I upgraded from the D50 to the D3. The quality of my images have not changed. I can take more pictures in a second, I can shoot in much lower light, and I can make larger prints, but the image is still the image.
    As your photography grows, better tools can make your job a little easier, but they don't make the job better.

I totally agree. At this point though, I'm growing in my ability to compose a shot, adjust lighting, etc. But, when I take my camera inside our school's athletic center for a basketball game, the images are almost unusable with the amount of noise they have. Noise ninja helps some, but not enough that I'm comfortable posting, let alone trying to sell or publish shots. This is why I'd like a camera with a bit more high ISO. Since I'm only just beginning to start a business, I'm not worried about letting down clients yet, but for my own sanity, I'd like to enjoy my shots without seeing all the noise. I know cameras today, like the D90 and D300 are far and above, better at High ISO performance than the past.
    As far as upgrades go, that desire never goes away. If you saved up for a D90 at some point you will want a D300 or D3 or whatever better model comes out in the coming years. I guarantee the D3 will not be my last body. You should focus more on quality glass than with bodies. No matter what body you move to in the coming years, quality glass moves with you.

Again, I agree. I totally want a D300 or a D3 NOW, but I do have some sense of reality left and I can't afford, nor can I justify their purchase now. All I'm trying to do now is quantify the differences between the d80 package I have on the table and the qualities of the D90 that might make me wait.

As a low budget shooter, this is the difference between $500 for a great body and accessories, or $1200 for D90, grip, batteries etc. With the D80, I'm getting an extra $700 to save for glass in the future. I just don't want to buy the D80 and IMMEDIATELY think, wow, should have just saved for the D90. I'm also toying with the idea of putting together a small studio for portraits, and if I do, I know lighting equipment ain't cheap!

Is the D80 a good enough camera to last for a few years as a sports camera (not professional here, but the emphasis is on good enough)? I mean, the D40 is good enough, but the AF is hurting me (although tips from here have helped immensely), and I can only shoot at a good shutter speed outdoors on a sunny day before I have to bump the ISO. Even a cloudy day make the difference between ISO 200 and ISO 800 which kills the shots on a camera like the D40.

I'm just trying to get the best bang for my buck on an upgrade I really think I need. My glass is actually pretty good right now, in my opinion. I would love the Nikon 70-200 f/2.8, but I can't justify $2000 on glass. With better AF, I believe my Sigma lens would have a better shot at, well, getting the shot!

And I fully understand, this all comes at face value, because a D300 in my hands would not produce the same shots as someone who has spent their life doing sports photography. I just think it's time to upgrade the body to surpass my skills, then grow into the body. I grew into the D40 in only a few months. I just don't want to buy the D80, and in 6 months, feel I have everything mastered. I believe there is a difference in a justified upgrade and just lust for a new toy and I know how to separate the two.

Sorry for this to sound like a rant, but I'm actually having a lot of trouble getting comparisons of the d80 to the d90 without them saying "OMG, you NEED to get the d90!!!" If the d80 is good enough, I'm willing to deal with not having the latest and greatest to get good shots on a budget.

Thanks for the opinions!
    ~Nick
    Nikon D7000, D90

• Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2009
    It really sounds as if indoor sports are your main concern. If shooting in lower lights takes precedence over the other shots you may use the camera for, then the D90 is your choice.
    It will allow you to shoot at significant higher ISO speeds over the D80. You get a better sensor, live view and video (if that is your thing), better white balance, faster F.P.S. and upgraded technology.

The D80 will be an upgrade from what you have, and it will produce better low light images than the D40.

If you look at a scale of 1 to 5 with the D40 being 1, the D80 at 3.5, and the D90 at 5.
    With good fast glass on a D80 you will get good to better results in a gym.
    Steve

Website
  • catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2009
    as an aside, a used D300 can be found for the $1100-1200 range vs. the D90. It might be worth the wait. Either way, if you ARE doing low-light sports I agree with Cygnus Studios' comments above.
    //Leah
  • eminarteminart Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited February 11, 2009
    I got into the DSLR world about a year ago. I started with a D80 and I have no pressing desire to upgrade right now. This camera is far more capable than I am. I'm much more interested in upgrading lenses than I am my camera body. When I do upgrade, it will be because there's a SIGNIFICANT difference in what I can achieve with the next model............ like maybe a D3 or something at least along the lines of a D300 or D700.

But, like I said, I'm very happy with my D80 and better lenses are more important to me than live view or anything like that. Lower noise at high ISO's would be a plus, but not really much of a selling point, since I rarely have any need for high ISO's.