My First Macro

SteelafanSteelafan Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
edited February 13, 2009 in Holy Macro
WHat am I doing wrong? I'm new to macro and I find it difficult getting the good shot. Any suggestions?

461589184_Poyv4-M.jpg

461590382_7srFv-S.jpg

461589015_QvSNu-S.jpg
:patch Searching for that one shot that counts. The never ending quest to make people say "wow".:huh

http://asphotoworks.com

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2009
    Well I actually rather like #1- just needs rotating so the stalk is up :)

Shooting through glass is always difficult as it distorts the image unless the subject is fairly close to the glass and the camera lens is ayt 90' to the glass.
    The main problem in macro is the shallow DOF and accurate focus. You need to get used to shooting MF so you can decide where the point of focus is. If you are using flash then use the camera in manual and shoot something like 1/200th, F11, iso100 flash in ttl mode.
    The other thing to remember is that all the normal "rules" on composition still apply in macro.

Macro just takes a lot of practice to get things the way you like so keep on practicing :)

Brian V.
  • SteelafanSteelafan Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2009
    Well I actually rather like #1- just needs rotating so the stalk is up :)

Shooting through glass is always difficult as it distorts the image unless the subject is fairly close to the glass and the camera lens is ayt 90' to the glass.
    The main problem in macro is the shallow DOF and accurate focus. You need to get used to shooting MF so you can decide where the point of focus is. If you are using flash then use the camera in manual and shoot something like 1/200th, F11, iso100 flash in ttl mode.
    The other thing to remember is that all the normal "rules" on composition still apply in macro.

Macro just takes a lot of practice to get things the way you like so keep on practicing :)

Brian V.

Thanks for the tip. The fish was a hard shot because I could not use the flash and he was rather quick with me pointing my lens at him. The shallowness of the DOF is hard to get used too, your dead on with that. I'll put up some new stuff when I get a minute to shoot.
    :patch Searching for that one shot that counts. The never ending quest to make people say "wow".:huh

http://asphotoworks.com