Options

Adobe 98 to RGB

IntuxicatedIntuxicated Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited February 12, 2009 in Finishing School
Hello!

I have a big issue when turning photos to RGB from Adobe 98. All of us know that Adobe 98 looks better, but when comes to uploading to the internet, you have to turn them to RGB and suddenly they look awful, washed out and flat colors.

Adobe 98 it's great on my calibrated monitors, on my calibrated printers.
But when it's coming to uploading these photos, RGB turns my world upside down.

My question is: what do i need to do in Photoshop to a RGB image so that i can look like a Adobe 98 one? Is there a filter, are they some steps or some rules to follow so that i can get my RGB image to look better?

Comments

• Options
    AnthonyAnthony Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2009
    Hello!

I have a big issue when turning photos to RGB from Adobe 98. All of us know that Adobe 98 looks better, but when comes to uploading to the internet, you have to turn them to RGB and suddenly they look awful, washed out and flat colors.

Adobe 98 it's great on my calibrated monitors, on my calibrated printers.
    But when it's coming to uploading these photos, RGB turns my world upside down.

My question is: what do i need to do in Photoshop to a RGB image so that i can look like a Adobe 98 one? Is there a filter, are they some steps or some rules to follow so that i can get my RGB image to look better?

Save (a copy of) your images to sRGB for posting online...

Anthony
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2009
    I don't think I was very specific or you did not understand my question very well.

From all that i know, when uploading an image to the internet, any browser in this world is capable to display its colors only in RGB, or sRGB as I was reading earlier.

My question is: what do i need to do to a sRGB image to improve its colors (as they are in Adobe 98), so that it won't look washed out and flat? I am basing my question on what i have read in here on smugmug.com, and i quote:

"We learned from hard experience to convert CMYK, Adobe 98, and ProPhoto images to sRGB. Otherwise they look bad both online and in print, benefitting no one.
    "

How do convert Adobe 98 to sRGB that it looks good in both?
    Adobe 98 gives me the best workflow to printing, but i need sRGB to upload them to the internet. It's not like i have to choose from them, i just need Adobe 98 for printing, and sRGB for uploading.
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2009
    Hello!
    I have a big issue when turning photos to RGB from Adobe 98.

RGB what? You can't convert TO Adobe RGB (1998) until you specify the source RGB color space, so what is that?

FWIW, you should see virtually no difference when converting from RGB working space to other RGB working spaces. So I suspect you're doing something wrong (like assigning, not converting).
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2009
    Actually, my problem is that the same image looks better in adobe 98 and awful in sRGB. And I somehow need to make that image look great in sRGB aswell.
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2009
    Actually, my problem is that the same image looks better in adobe 98 and awful in sRGB. And I somehow need to make that image look great in sRGB aswell.

Again, something is wrong. The same image in sRGB and Adobe RGB should appear the same color but with different RGB values. You're either viewing Adobe RGB (1998) outside an ICC aware application or you're assigning a profile incorrectly. If you take my Printer Test File found on my web site (Tips and Tricks) which is in ColorMatch RGB and convert it to either sRGB or Adobe RGB (1998), the three will appear virtually identical.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2009
    Thank you very much for your guidance, I will study more about this to see what am I doing wrong and come back with more questions when clarifying my problems.

Have a nice day!
  • Options
    Lupus RexLupus Rex Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited February 12, 2009
    First things first. I am going to take a few things for granted. Like a profiled monitor and Photoshop as your image editor for instance.

The first thing I would suggest is to set your working color space to sRGB by opening your color settings under the Edit menu (Shift+Ctrl+K). In the "Working Spaces" box, set RGB to sRGB.

Next thing is to edit your image til you are happy with it and use the "Convert to Profile" found in the Edit menu.

You should also understan that adobe 1998 and sRGB are device independant ICC profiles that are not even used by internet browsers. Any image viewing software must be able to read the ICC profile and be viewed on a profiled monitor for a person to see an image as you see it.
    The reason that sRGB is used for web is because it more closely aproximates what a web browser will display. sRGB is a lowest common denominator space that contains most of the colors you need for many purposes.

I dont even bother to convert to profile because I know that most of the visitors to my website are not using a profiled monitor. So even if i did convert, they would see something close to what i want them to see rather than the image that i am happy with.

I hope this helps you.
  • Options
    Lupus RexLupus Rex Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited February 12, 2009
    I forgot to link this for you.

http://www.w3.org/Graphics/Color/sRGB

This will give you some good info on sRGB.