Options

LR 2.0.... Crash.... Crash.... Crash....!!!

heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
edited February 24, 2009 in Finishing School
Pretty much that says it all. I just installed it about a week ago and it crashes about 1x per hour........ Anyone have any ideas how to fix it? I am going crazy!

(Between that and the operator's "new to software slowness" this is taking forever!)

Comments

• Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2009
    Pretty much that says it all. I just installed it about a week ago and it crashes about 1x per hour........ Anyone have any ideas how to fix it? I am going crazy!

(Between that and the operator's "new to software slowness" this is taking forever!)

We need to know what you were doing when it crashed...what operating system...what other open programs were and how many...how much physical RAM do you have. Any error messages?
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2009
    I have 3 gigs of RAM...Windows XP... and it doesn't seem to make any difference if there are other programs running or not. It still crashes. This last time I had firefox and outlook express running and that was it.

There haven't been any error messages. LR stops running and then when I go to Window's task manager it says that LR is not responding. Then I have to do an "end task" on it and restart everything. Is this a bug or am I just crazy?
  • Options
    aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2009
    Do you have the latest updates? I had some minor crashing initially with 2.0, but currently at 2.2 and its been very reliable.
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2009
    Yup, lightroom is slow in my view but shouldn't crash like that, especially with 3 gig of ram on an XP.
    I'd upgrade to 2.2 version.
    http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4234
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2009
    Have you tried: Edit; catalogue settings; Relaunch and Optimize?

tom
    tom wise
  • Options
    LockeLocke Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited February 13, 2009
    Lightroom 2 makes use of hardware excellration. Find out what video card your machine has in it and look for an updated driver. Also ensure you have the latest version of Microsoft's Direct X.

--Locke
  • Options
    ontherivetontherivet Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited February 13, 2009

There's a documented memory leak that is reported to be addressed in the 2.3 candidate release. I have not installed this version to confirm the fix, but the issue tends to manifest itself most notably when working with the brush. Minimizing and then maximizing the application will release the memory. Easy way to verify this is to bring up task manager, do a bit of brush work and watch the application memory soar. There are other areas that I believe contribute to the problem but the brush seems to be the worst culprit.
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2009
    Oh, now I am torked.
    I thought I had it all worked out thanks to everyone's help and the 2.2 update... I was processing a wedding for 7 long hours with no problems and then.... whamo.... it crashes and all my work is gone.

I might pull out my hair and then start this processing over again with ACR until I get this wedding finished.

Meanwhile here is a question for you... is there any way to save your work (flagging, basic processing but not converting to Jpg as of yet) as you go along?

Excuse me while I go smack my head on the wall for a while.
  • Options
    LockeLocke Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    You can create snapshots at different stages. The option will be on the left hand side of the screen in the develop module. I suppose you could also periodically use the edit in Photoshop option, select the edit with Lightroom changes radio button, the save in the digital negative format. Some of the more experienced LR guys may have a better solution.

--Locke
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2009
    I thought I had it all worked out thanks to everyone's help and the 2.2 update... I was processing a wedding for 7 long hours with no problems and then.... whamo.... it crashes and all my work is gone.

I might pull out my hair and then start this processing over again with ACR until I get this wedding finished.

Meanwhile here is a question for you... is there any way to save your work (flagging, basic processing but not converting to Jpg as of yet) as you go along?

Excuse me while I go smack my head on the wall for a while.

Your work is saved as you go. It's all in LR's database. When LR crashes, the only thing you might lose is some edits on the current image you are working on. Everything else should be already saved in the database. Are you sure that actually lost hours of work? By design, that is not supposed to be able to happen unless you have disk troubles with your system and lose your LR database.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    Your work is saved as you go. It's all in LR's database. When LR crashes, the only thing you might lose is some edits on the current image you are working on. Everything else should be already saved in the database. Are you sure that actually lost hours of work? By design, that is not supposed to be able to happen unless you have disk troubles with your system and lose your LR database.
    Well, in the past when it crashed and I reopened it, it was all there... this time when I started it up after the crash all of the edits on each image (close to 600) were gone. I don't have a clue why, unless when I upgraded earlier that morning the upgrade wasn't finalized or something and the edits stayed with the old one....but that is a total guess from a non tech lady!
    Now before I begin a task on a photo that I think my be taxing on the software, I restart the software just to be sure that all my work previous to that is saved... Probably not the smartest way to do it but it has given me a little peace of mind. And I have redone all my lost work, so all is well. I just lost a day. But I'll live! thumb.gif
    And as a side note, it hasn't crashed since that time. And I have worked with it for probably 20 more hours. So that is good news. I am hoping that the problem is solved, because I am beginning to enjoy the program a lot!clap.gif
  • Options
    bandgeekndbbandgeekndb Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    I highly suggest bumping up to 2.3RC when you get the chance. If need be, you can change the installation directory and keep 2.2 and 2.3RC on the same system and just test a few things with 2.3RC.

I've got my own world of hurt, because the geek in me lives on the edge, so I have Windows 7 Beta installed on my production system!

Good luck, hope nothing is crashing anymore!
    Nikon D7000, D90

Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8
    Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8