Broadway Photo - ???

SurfdogSurfdog Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
edited February 16, 2009 in Cameras
I am getting ready to purchase a new D700 body and found that the best price seems to be with Broadway Photo. They beat B&H, Ritz, and my other regular dealers by a substantual amount, which makes me wonder if there is a catch. :scratch Have any of you dealt with Broadway Photo before?
http://www.dvivianphoto.com

Don't worry. I can fix you in photoshop.

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2009
    Don't get scammed.

http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0006.htm

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Broadway_Photo

Be smart! Run, very very fast - away.

Finally - there are two sticky threads in this forum with more of the same info. Read them deal.gif
  • SurfdogSurfdog Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2009
    Thanks
    Thanks Andy. (Beautiful images on your website, by the way.) After reviewing the links you sent and the sticky threads, I went back to the Broadway Photo site and took a closer look at the D700 ad. The links they have for merchant review sites have Broadway Photos' reviews erased, or they don't list Broadway Photo. Also, a closer look at the D700 shows it to be an "import model". Sooo...I am running away very fast. I appreciate your feedback.
    http://www.dvivianphoto.com

Don't worry. I can fix you in photoshop.
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2009
    They are a scam site. The price is to bait you to order or call. If you order online, they will ask via e-mail to call them and try to sell you very cheap lenses/accessories for several hundreds of dollars more than they are worth. At the end it'll cost you more to buy the camera b/c of the overpriced accessories you have bought.

If you insist on just the camera, the normally included accessories like batteries are worth several hundred dollars.

If you insist on still just getting the body, it's magically now on backorder and you won't be able to buy it.

Save yourself the hassle of giving your credit and ID information to thieves online and order from a more reputable retailer.

I'd recommend resellerratings.com to check on the quality of the stores before you buy from them.

Good luck.
  • codruscodrus Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited February 13, 2009
    I've bought most of camera gear from Amazon for precisely this reason.

What I don't understand is how these places get away with doing this. It's widely known that they're scam artists, why don't they get shut down?

--Ian
  • Tampa-PhotographyTampa-Photography Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited February 15, 2009
    Hit em where it hurts
    One way to make them stop is to click repeatedly on their pay per click ads. They pay several dollars per click to rank on the first page of google for such a competitive search term.

Not that I would encourage such a practice - I'm just saying if a lot of people did something like that, they would probably have to stop running those ads!mwink.gif
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    One way to make them stop is to click repeatedly on their pay per click ads. They pay several dollars per click to rank on the first page of google for such a competitive search term.

Not that I would encourage such a practice - I'm just saying if a lot of people did something like that, they would probably have to stop running those ads!mwink.gif

Broadway photo has been around for many many years as have a lot of the Brookly addressed cam stores and most are all bait and switch or grey market raccateers.....but they have been shut down because what they do is skate a very thin line between illegal and legal.....it can be wrong and still not illegal in the eyes of the law......and we do live in a consumer be AWARE society.........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website