Sub $200 Ultra-Compact Weatherproof?

jhelmsjhelms Registered Users Posts: 651 Major grins
edited February 13, 2009 in Cameras
My wife wants a <$200 compact / ultra compact camera to take with us on an out of the country trip later this year.

She'd like something small, with a 3" screen, and waterproof / weatherproof so that it can be used at the beach without worrying too much.

I'd like for it to be a Nikon to be able to slap the SB600 flash on it when needed, but that's really not a dealbreaker - if Canon or Panasonic or whatever is the better way to go here then that's cool.

No preference for megapixels for this one, but would like a decent movie mode.

Any ideas or preferences?
John in Georgia
Nikon | Private Photojournalist

Comments

• JPerkinsJPerkins Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited February 13, 2009
    jhelms wrote:
    My wife wants a <$200 compact / ultra compact camera to take with us on an out of the country trip later this year.

She'd like something small, with a 3" screen, and waterproof / weatherproof so that it can be used at the beach without worrying too much.

I'd like for it to be a Nikon to be able to slap the SB600 flash on it when needed, but that's really not a dealbreaker - if Canon or Panasonic or whatever is the better way to go here then that's cool.

No preference for megapixels for this one, but would like a decent movie mode.

Any ideas or preferences?

Hi, the only one that I know of that somewhat meets your requirements is the Olympus 1030 SW. If you can find one at the Circuit city liquidation you can get it for around $200 (299 retail, 30%off). They have the 1050sw but its only waterproof to 10 feet (the 1030 is waterproof to 30feet.)

The pics are good in sunlight, it has a movie mode and a panorama mode. Low light pics are grainy though. No shoe for flash. Just checked Amazon and the 1030sw has gone up to $430!!! But you can get a green one for $272.

Personally I wouldn't buy one that was only waterproof to 10 feet, that extra 20 feet is a nice buffer. The 1030SW is wp to 30 feet, shockproof to 6' drop, dustproof, has movie and some nice features. I've only charged the battery 2x since I've had it and taken hundreds of snaps over a 2 month period. I use it mounted to my motorcycle ram mount.

Hope that helps.
  • Ratty2austinRatty2austin Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited February 13, 2009
    Hello there, I have a Pentax Optio W10- its a 6MP waterproof point n shoot, works well as a pocket camera, and has a very nice macro mode! I have taken it swimming, and gotten it dirty, dusty, sandy, you name it! and it still works just fine :D

That one however, is an older model- they have 2 newer versions out right now- the W30 and the W60... both have much newer features than the one I have, and I plan to upgrade soon.. the W30 is usually for sale around the 199 mark, maybe less depending on where you buy.

I love this little waterproof camera, it has allowed me to get those fun shots or unusual shots which would otherwise destroy any other camera! Great battery life too- and it takes an SD card...

check it out at your local camera shop it gets my vote thumb.gif

(side note- my girlfriend went on a trip to Hawaii, and she was using a Canon digital elph or some sort, anyway- under normal use, no dropping it or anything- wind had gotten sand into the lens mechanics, and it jammed up... now the camera is no longer functional :cry ) however, I have dropped my optio into the sand in Baja, Mexico while riding my motorcycle down there on a trip, and it still works fine deal.gif
  • jhelmsjhelms Registered Users Posts: 651 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2009
    JPerkins wrote:
    Hi, the only one that I know of that somewhat meets your requirements is the Olympus 1030 SW. If you can find one at the Circuit city liquidation you can get it for around $200 (299 retail, 30%off). They have the 1050sw but its only waterproof to 10 feet (the 1030 is waterproof to 30feet.)

The pics are good in sunlight, it has a movie mode and a panorama mode. Low light pics are grainy though. No shoe for flash. Just checked Amazon and the 1030sw has gone up to $430!!! But you can get a green one for $272.

Personally I wouldn't buy one that was only waterproof to 10 feet, that extra 20 feet is a nice buffer. The 1030SW is wp to 30 feet, shockproof to 6' drop, dustproof, has movie and some nice features. I've only charged the battery 2x since I've had it and taken hundreds of snaps over a 2 month period. I use it mounted to my motorcycle ram mount.

Hope that helps.

Cool, it does help - I'll try to run by CC this weekend and check their supply.
    John in Georgia
  • jhelmsjhelms Registered Users Posts: 651 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2009
    Hello there, I have a Pentax Optio W10- its a 6MP waterproof point n shoot.... That one however, is an older model- they have 2 newer versions out right now- the W30 and the W60... both have much newer features than the one I have, and I plan to upgrade soon.. the W30 is usually for sale around the 199 mark, maybe less depending on where you buy.

..... I have dropped my optio into the sand in Baja, Mexico while riding my motorcycle down there on a trip, and it still works fine deal.gif

Cool, that's the sort of thing we are looking for, thanks!
    John in Georgia