Posing kids sports teams

AZTarHeelAZTarHeel Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
edited February 14, 2009 in Sports
Hello all, I am wondering if folks have tips on the best way to pose kids sports teams of 6-8 kids ...

I've taken pics of a local kids hoops league the past few years, and I've gotten decent at the individual shots, as far as lighting and such but I just have a devil of a time posing the teams ...

What do you do when you have first and second graders, maybe five, six, seven or eight of them, along with two coaches who are say 5-foot-10 or 6 feet tall. I want to keep most of the faces on the same plain and not have it so the coaches are towering over the kids. Any thoughts? Sometimes I've had four teams an hour so not much time to tinker and get creative ... thanks for any advice folks have ...
"A sportswriter is entombed in a prolonged boyhood."

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2009
    AZTarHeel wrote:
    Hello all, I am wondering if folks have tips on the best way to pose kids sports teams of 6-8 kids ...

I've taken pics of a local kids hoops league the past few years, and I've gotten decent at the individual shots, as far as lighting and such but I just have a devil of a time posing the teams ...

What do you do when you have first and second graders, maybe five, six, seven or eight of them, along with two coaches who are say 5-foot-10 or 6 feet tall. I want to keep most of the faces on the same plain and not have it so the coaches are towering over the kids. Any thoughts? Sometimes I've had four teams an hour so not much time to tinker and get creative ... thanks for any advice folks have ...

Wow 4 teams an hour....my last season of doing team sports I shot an average of 1 team+ individual every 3.75 minutes for upto 14 hours per saturday and sunday.......I shot for one of the biggest sports shooting comapnies (Group Shots Imaging) in Kansas...we shot everything from baseball, soccer, football, basketball.....from the okla border to Kansas City wet and north to Salina.....we covered the whole of the most populated half of the state and that was using film.

If you are out doors keep the un coming over the left shoulder of the individual...for the teams I used a wooden bench about 12-18 inches high and forthe towering coaches well if you want everyone on the same plane and you are only using 1 row and not multi rows the have the coaches sit on the ends of the bench wit h the the team between them.......my work flow was simple...shoot the team then the individuals.....that way if joey doesn't get a team photo he is in them as part of the team.....posed the singles on the end of the bench either with ball on knee and hands atop the ball or ball cradled under right arm in palm of hand and slightly leaning on left knee with left elbow......trying to not look to stiff......if you have kids to try poses out on before hand have a few different ones so that there is some variety amost the individual photos.......

HTH
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• NwestrnrNwestrnr Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited February 13, 2009
    AZTarHeel wrote:

Personaly I shoot moto sports but I do shoot racing teams every year with members ranging from 4 to 50 years old so I do see your problem with size issues

Some thing I have seen before that worked well

say with 8 kids in 2 rows 4 kids per row kneeling in the front standing in the back row

Coaches kneeling at the sides

Pretty basic set up and be aware of the back ground to work with this

To me just my opinion here keeping them all in one line is to much of just that "a line up" although it works I just never have liked it as well ~

Regards Ed
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2009
    Nwestrnr wrote:
    Personaly I shoot moto sports but I do shoot racing teams every year with members ranging from 4 to 50 years old so I do see your problem with size issues

Some thing I have seen before that worked well

say with 8 kids in 2 rows 4 kids per row kneeling in the front standing in the back row

Coaches kneeling at the sides

Pretty basic set up and be aware of the back ground to work with this

To me just my opinion here keeping them all in one line is to much of just that "a line up" although it works I just never have liked it as well ~

Regards Ed

Yup....done this also......worksthumb.gif personally think that at least 2 rows is way to go with very small groups
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• AZTarHeelAZTarHeel Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited February 14, 2009
    thanks guys ... i appreciate the feedback ...

if you have even numbers of kids, say eight, do you have four in front and four in the back? or say five in front, three in back with the two coaches kneeling? thanks again...

AZ
    "A sportswriter is entombed in a prolonged boyhood."
    edited February 14, 2009
    AZTarHeel wrote:
    thanks guys ... i appreciate the feedback ...

if you have even numbers of kids, say eight, do you have four in front and four in the back? or say five in front, three in back with the two coaches kneeling? thanks again...

AZ
    For me I seem to always go with either even numbers or more in the back row if you have 7 members to shoot I would at least try 3 in front and 4 in the back row hmmm the possiblities abound
    edited February 14, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    Yup....done this also......worksthumb.gif personally think that at least 2 rows is way to go with very small groups
    Works well with 8x10 format also