New Guy Here

SpydawebbSpydawebb Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
edited February 15, 2009 in People
Hi everyone. My name is Alan and I just joined the forum recently (was a lurker for quite a while). I'm not a pro, but I definitely love taking pictures of people.

Enough about me - on to the reason for my post. Recently I did only the 3rd photoshoot with someone that I wasn't related to, my co-worker Nicole. I'd really like to get your thoughts about these shots, and what I could do to improve.

TIA,
Alan

470083347_oNrch-L.jpg

469757735_uFUuy-L.jpg

469756123_iBe8e-L.jpg

469757025_yfc5M-L.jpg

470082979_yUyQV-L.jpg

473181864_2MsSN-L.jpg

473184689_6Ty7q-L.jpg

469758221_b95CF-L.jpg

Comments

• eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2009
    These are very nice, Alan. My only advice would be to watch your background for items growing out of your subject's head and body. I direct this specifically at images three and six. Beyond that, you did an excellent job here. Way to go! thumb.gif

The triptych is awesome! thumb.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • roentarreroentarre Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2009
    The second last shot is my favorite. So much mood in that one! clap.gif
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2009
    Nice work. I like the last one best.
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 14, 2009
    Beautiful work Alan. clap.gif

the first two shots are fantastic thumb.gif
  • TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2009
    Alan,

She looks marvelous. The only thing I could recommend other than what was said, is to get a reflector to fill in some of those harsh shadows. Other than that, you have a winning set. Great work, keep it up!
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2009
    wave.gif - Welcome!!
    First things first, these are very, very well done, especially considering the very hard light conditions. As to that, maybe schedule the shoots for when the sun is lower in the sky?

1 - Put some flash on this and open up the shadows some. This will also put a catchlight in her eyes. Aside from that, I think you did very well with the exposure - you got the whites white and your brights bright!

2 - Same as #1

3 - Tree growing out of her head. The conversion is wonderful. You have whites and you have blacks and everything in between. The contrast is not too strong - it's just right! Well donethumb.gif

4 - You have the beginings of a catchlight - would like to see more/stronger one. I would also like to see more of her near eye. Aside from that - this is WOW.

5 - This appears to be a selectively colored photo. I usually don't like them because the photographer colors the wrong thing. Here .... well you done gooddeal.gifthumb. The pose is nice. I'm not too sure about the tree trunk/limb cutting into her forehead like that, but it's not bad either. Love hou you've used the shape of the tree to tunnel-vision on your model.

6 - Need more fill ... and she's a bit centered for my taste

7 - This is, by far, the strongest in the group. The choise of B&W is good. The vignette to focus on her face - good choice. thumb.gifclap

8 - This is "just" fun. Nice collage!
  • SpydawebbSpydawebb Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited February 14, 2009
    Thank you all for the comments. I do try to remember to watch the background, but sometimes I just get caught up in shooting and forget.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2009
    wave.gif - Welcome!!
    Hi Alan, welcome! clap.gif
    +1 on Scott's items thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • NateWNateW Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2009
    1st off, welcome to DGrin posting!
    Great job, esp for your first non-family shoot. Either you've been doing family for a while or you're really good. Or both. :D

#1: like it; great pose and composition. A little reflector to the less lit side of her face might have been nice, but it's tough to get just on the face and the vest might have become too much of a focus point (no pun intended).

#2: Could this have been done as a vertical? Great expressions and posing, too. The light being at the angle it is is showing off the little imperfections in her skin that, while there, are only visible 'cuz of that. A little diffuser might have helped, but I have no direct experience with this (I'm thinking like a window screen or something; just enough to soften the light a bit without darkening it too much. Anyone have any experience with softening like this? would it take a material that would "glow" to make it really soften?)

#3 I'm not so fond of; composition seems to have put her too much in the center. The exposure and contrast seem great, but the other aspects might have been a bit different. (trees from the head, etc., too)

#4: Very nice! The only thing that's getting to me is that we can't see any of her near iris and pupil which leads to an effect of zombieish proportions. :D Great shot, otherwise.

#5: someone made a comment about trees growing out o fheads, and I wonder if this one could have been fixed on that by moving around to the side? I also wonder if that wouldn't have worked because the background would have been too tough. Good shot with good selective B&Wing.

#6:well done, and I like how the face is centered under the branch arcs, but I also am a little struggling with the branch through the hair. Not sure there's a fix, though.

#7: wonderfully pensive and a great choice for B&W. Great shot.

#8: Great collage! Very fun!thumb.gif

These are overall great images with a very pretty model who posed well throughout. Very good job!clap.gif
    NateW

NTWPhotos.com
    Member, Livingston County Photographers Group (http://livcophotographers.com)

If responding to a picture I've posted: please, provide constructive criticism. Destructive criticism can go take a flying leap.
    If we don't know what could be improved or could have been done differently, we'll never know how to get better at what we're doing.
  • speedsk8rspeedsk8r Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2009
    they all look stunning to me.
  • SpydawebbSpydawebb Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited February 15, 2009
    Thank you all for the comments and warm welcome! I will definitely keep your pointers in mind in the future. thumb.gif