Options

Shutter Life

hnjngohnjngo Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
edited February 14, 2009 in Cameras
Hi I just recently bought a canon 40d and i'm just trying to figure out how long my shutter will last and how much it will be to fix when it breaks. Canon rated the shutter for 100 000 releases right? and does anyone know how much it is to replace/fix?
thx
Current Gear: Canon 40d, Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 580EX II
Flickr
Smugmug

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,893 moderator
    edited February 14, 2009
    hnjngo wrote:
    Hi I just recently bought a canon 40d and i'm just trying to figure out how long my shutter will last and how much it will be to fix when it breaks. Canon rated the shutter for 100 000 releases right? and does anyone know how much it is to replace/fix?
    thx

Hnjngo, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

The honest truth is that the shutter may fail at 12,000 actuations or 150,000 actuations. You will know when it happens but probably not much before. The actual cost to repair may vary depending on what else needs to be replaced at the same time (generally the mirror box).

When it does fail it will probably cost somewhere around $250-$450USD.

My recommendation is to just use the camera and not worry about failure. If you are using the camera for something critical, like a wedding for hire, then you need a backup regardless.

Good luck at any rate and be sure to share your images and techniques back here, at the Digital Grin. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    hnjngohnjngo Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited February 14, 2009
    ok thanks =)
    Current Gear: Canon 40d, Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 580EX II
    Flickr
    Smugmug
  • Options
    dogbertdogbert Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited February 14, 2009
    I've had the same sigma lens for my primary lens for the last 2 years; no problem.