Operaton Rescue at Planned Parenthood (II)

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited February 17, 2009 in People
On the second Saturday of each month, an antiabortion group, Operation Rescue, stages a protest at the Planned Parenthood clinic in Boston. I've shot this before, before, but I was never really satisfied. So here, without further comment is today's effort.

473570879_3NrmG-L.jpg

473571503_HomoR-L.jpg

473572001_QJJHQ-L.jpg

473572377_6Ebhj-L.jpg

I'd love honest feedback on these as photography. Am I getting the intensity of the emotions present?

In the interest of full disclosure, I am personally a supporter of Planned Parenthood, and been so all my life. But let's leave the ethical discussion at that.
If not now, when?

Comments

• bauermanbauerman Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2009
    I personally think that the last photo could be very powerful, the ladies expression is really telling to my eye. The problem is the other people frame left.....they are distracting to me. If you cold crop this photo and just keep the lady frame right in the final shot.......could be a winner.

Not a supporter of a lot of what Planned Parenthood does myself.....but a worthy cause photographically and good for you going out and capturing these shots.
    Perhaps the greatest social service that can be rendered by anybody to this country and to mankind is to bring up a family. - George Bernard Shaw
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2009
    While I agree with bauerman on PP, I think the last image is strong because of the juxtaposition (and position) of each of the people with signage. Cropping out the people on the left would remove important context, IMO.
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • manboumanbou Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2009
    Number 4 is the best because it kind of tells a story; two people with opposing messages, separated by a gap and facing away from each other. The black and white contrast is also used to good effect. thumb.gif

But the other three photos just seem kind of random. If you hadn't told me what you were shooting, I'd have no idea what photos 1 and 3 are all about. I think you need to work on the composition of these shots. They don't generate as much emotion or tension as they probably could given the setting. Also, some of the faces seem kind of muddled; I'd go for more sharpness and contrast.

I know you aren't posing these people, but try to find more interesting moments and more interesting ways to frame those moments. Also, watch out for lighting and try to get good contrast, good detail, or both.
    "[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Photography is often finding something cool and taking a picture of it."[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] -- Ken Rockwell[/FONT]
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited February 15, 2009
    manbou wrote:
    Number 4 is the best because it kind of tells a story; two people with opposing messages, separated by a gap and facing away from each other.

15524779-Ti.gif. The others convey a lot of feeling, but they need some context to tell the story.
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif. The others convey a lot of feeling, but they need some context to tell the story.

The context is there (the Planned Parenthood logo) in all but 2 if you look, but perhaps it has to be much less subtle.

I agree that 4 has the best potential of the group because of the juxtaposition of opposing messages. Looking at it now, I really wish I'd opened up the lens to blur that distracting background and bring more attention to the two subject.
    If not now, when?
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    The last shot tells the story and does not need ANY cropping. Good job on that one.
  • bauermanbauerman Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    Laughing.gif - nobody like my cropping idea - but at least I got the feedback kicked off for you in this thread. :D
    Perhaps the greatest social service that can be rendered by anybody to this country and to mankind is to bring up a family. - George Bernard Shaw
  • ThwackThwack Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    Cropping the last pic to just the person on the right would make an interesting fifth shot but I wouldn't do it instead of what's already there (who says you can't have your cake and eat it too).

It might work better (next time) to catch that person from the right separately and with the large sign in full view (in addition to the contrasting opinion version already posted).

As for making the background less noticeable, that can be fixed with a bit more PP, right?

The signage in #1 and #3 is too incomplete. If we weren't explicitly told the subject, the signs likely wouldn't register since they're only partially visible. As a viewer, I often tune out background signs (they're just visual litter in our daily landscape).

I have seen some funny signs but they're usually the focus of a pic and not so subtle that they can be easily missed.
  • piercingperceptionspiercingperceptions Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited February 17, 2009
    Where I agree with everyone else on number four being the strongest, and the dichotomy of the two opposing views.

I also think three as some potential. In closer analysis of the photograph I noticed the woman is holding a rosary along with the PP sign right above her. The man looking the opposite direction is distracting but what about cropping to just her. I think that could be even more powerful in a more subdued way. That allows the viewer to think more than having text lay it all out for them. As well as take a stand to who they agree more having the viewer interject their own feelings in an already heated topic. Just a thought. :D
  • SammyCatSammyCat Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited February 17, 2009
    rutt wrote:
    On the second Saturday of each month, an antiabortion group, Operation Rescue, stages a protest at the Planned Parenthood clinic in Boston. I've shot this before, before, but I was never really satisfied. So here, without further comment is today's effort.

473570879_3NrmG-L.jpg

473571503_HomoR-L.jpg

473572001_QJJHQ-L.jpg

473572377_6Ebhj-L.jpg

I'd love honest feedback on these as photography. Am I getting the intensity of the emotions present?

In the interest of full disclosure, I am personally a supporter of Planned Parenthood, and been so all my life. But let's leave the ethical discussion at that.

I agree that from a photojournalist point-of-view the last is very strong and nicely represents non-aggressive but opposing view points which I think is always most powerful.

I looked at your earlier work and want to commend you on the choices you have made going forward... b/w versus colour, close crops to make it 'more personal' and appearing more engaged with the subject matter.