Need help on next purchase?

b08rsab08rsa Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
edited February 14, 2009 in Cameras
I am currently shooting sports (indoor soccer) with my Oly 510 with the standard lense kit (NOISE, NOISE, NOISE). I understand that I need an 2.8 lense. I have been look at the Oly 50-200mm f2.8-3.5 for a grand. I have had a local camera shop say for around 1200 bucks, I could get into a Sony A300 with a Tamron. What would someone do? I shoot a ton of action sports so I know I am in need of a "fast lense". Any feed back is appriciated.

Thanks, Ron
:dunno
70-200mm.jpg
AF70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) Macro
Sony A7ii, Sigma 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens, Sony FE85mm f/1.8 Lens, Sony FE 28-70 mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Lens, Godox 860iiS Flash.

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2009
    I am curious as to what you kit lens is?
    My advice is to stay with OLY and find the fast glass you need and want......the A300 is not a good replcement for what you already have......now if you were moving into a D300 that might be different with its ability to handle high ISO's or a D50.....but you loose that 2x crop factor.....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• b08rsab08rsa Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    I am curious as to what you kit lens is?
    My advice is to stay with OLY and find the fast glass you need and want......the A300 is not a good replcement for what you already have......now if you were moving into a D300 that might be different with its ability to handle high ISO's or a D50.....but you loose that 2x crop factor.....

Currently shooting indoor soccer with a 40-150mm f4-5.6 and a 14-42mm f3.5-5.6, at ISO 1600 (Noise). They work fine when I am shooting outdoor on a decent day. I want to get crisp clean shots on the indoor soccer though. Right now I can not get a fast enough shutter speed with these lenses. (Shooting indoor soccer). This is why I threw the question out there? If you look at my 2009 Soccer Gallery, this is what I am getting. I did not know if going with the A300 with a 3200 ISO would help any????

http://ameliasportsphoto.smugmug.com
    Sony A7ii, Sigma 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens, Sony FE85mm f/1.8 Lens, Sony FE 28-70 mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Lens, Godox 860iiS Flash.
  • RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2009
    I think the local camera shop wants to sell you an a300...

Sigma makes a 70-200 f2.8 in the 4/3rds mount, this may be your best option (to avoid changing systems), as the Oly lens you mention isn't a true f2.8 lens (at 200mm setting it's only an f/3.5).

That being said, the lens that most sports shooters are talking about, the 70-200mm f2.8, is used on 1.3 crop or full frame 35mm. Since your E-510 uses a 2x crop sensor (in relation to other formats), a 70-200 f2.8 is going to behave more like a 140-400mm f2.8 (think wildlife photography, though on a soccer field it might still be handy).

The capabilities you're probably actually looking for need a lens like a 35-100 f2 or so, which I believe olympus does make. Prepare for the sticker shock on this one though.

I don't know of any lenses made by other manufacturers for 4/3rds that are closely equivalent (sigma makes a 50-150 f2.8, but not for 4/3rds as of yet).

Wish I had better news! You could try some prime lenses on an adapter as a way to access very fast glass, but you'd be without autofocus, which is an ugly situation on a soccer field.

If you do end up switching systems for these requirements, I'd look at Canon/Nikon first as this is where most of the world's sports shooters are at. A full frame camera and f2.8 zoom or faster prime is the state-of-the-art in low light sports right now.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited February 14, 2009
    b08rsa wrote:
    I am currently shooting sports (indoor soccer) with my Oly 510 with the standard lense kit (NOISE, NOISE, NOISE). I understand that I need an 2.8 lense. I have been look at the Oly 50-200mm f2.8-3.5 for a grand. I have had a local camera shop say for around 1200 bucks, I could get into a Sony A300 with a Tamron. What would someone do? I shoot a ton of action sports so I know I am in need of a "fast lense". Any feed back is appriciated.

Thanks, Ron
    ne_nau.gif
    70-200mm.jpg
    AF70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) Macro

Hi Ron, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

That Tamron lens, while very nice for its optic qualities, is probably not fast enough AF for action sports.

Based on your statement, "I shoot a ton of action sports so I know I am in need of a 'fast lense'", I suggest that you should consider a lens with an advanced AF motor technology, like Olympus SWD or Sigma HSM. Additionally the Olympus E-3 is supposed to be equipped with a much faster AF section, which would tie into a lens like the Zuiko 50-200mm, f/2.8-3.5 Digital ED SWD. I think the Sigma 70-200mm, f2.8 HSM is available in a Four Thirds mount.

If you are indeed interested in switching systems you should consider something like a Nikon D300 and a Nikkor 70-200mm, f/2.8G AF-S VR IF-ED.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited February 14, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Hi Ron, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

That Tamron lens, while very nice for its optic qualities, is probably not fast enough AF for action sports.

Based on your statement, "I shoot a ton of action sports so I know I am in need of a 'fast lense'", I suggest that you should consider a lens with an advanced AF motor technology, like Olympus SWD or Sigma HSM. Additionally the Olympus E-3 is supposed to be equipped with a much faster AF section, which would tie into a lens like the Zuiko 50-200mm, f/2.8-3.5 Digital ED SWD. I think the Sigma 70-200mm, f2.8 HSM is available in a Four Thirds mount.

If you are indeed interested in switching systems you should consider something like a Nikon D300 and a Nikkor 70-200mm, f/2.8G AF-S VR IF-ED.

I considered the sigma as you mentioned as well. I know it is advertised as a f2.8 through the zoom. I do not really want to change systems, but I was looking to spend a grand. for either a lense or come up with a new system that would get me in the f2.8 lense that I need. Hard decision.headscratch.gif Yeah I would love to get the Oly 150mm f2.0 but I have 3 kids as well (hehe). Thanks for all input. Which leads to the question of ...
    Is BH Poto a good place to buy from. I know they have this lense listed for 800 bucks???
  • dogbertdogbert Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited February 14, 2009
    Sounds like you need a faster lens.
    edited February 14, 2009
    dogbert wrote:
    Sounds like you need a faster lens.

Yep
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited February 14, 2009
    Rapid action, multi-player sports is one of the most difficult and demanding of photographic endeavors. Rapid and accurate AF is a combination of the lens and the camera's AF section.

My choice for American football, for instance, is the Canon 1D MKII and a Canon EF 70-200mm, f2.8L USM lens. That combination is extremely nice for fast and accurate AF in the difficult conditions of field play, especially in night conditions. (I also wish I had a couple more lenses but I made do with that one.)

Your desire to photograph indoor soccer is similarly demanding and in order to capture a high percentage of in-focus shots it will take the best equipment, regardless of whether it is affordable.

If you cannot afford to purchase the proper equipment you might consider renting for the most important events.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums