More 360 panos :)

greenplasticdavegreenplasticdave Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
edited February 18, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
All taken with a Canon EOS 40D using a Panosaurus tripod head mounted on a Manfrotto 190XB. Stitching was done using Hugin and HDR in Photomatix.

2639979699_d124104c24_b.jpg
Brisbane Masonic Temple

2633735330_d5fe9611c6_b.jpg
Brisbane Town Hall Auditorium

2633730996_2ed340c748_b.jpg
Brisbane Town Hall Entrance

2632903393_94b0fde46e_o.jpg
St. Andrew's Uniting Church, Brisbane

2706137252_db3e6e61aa_b.jpg
St. Paul's Church, Brisbane

2318661614_a1a3121135_b.jpg
Mt. Coot Tha Tropical Dome, Brisbane

Cheers

-Dave-

www.davidjamesphotography.org

Comments

• madrustymadrusty Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited February 14, 2009
    :D
    Very well done. I also like the graveyard IR on your website
    Kim
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2009
    All taken with a Canon EOS 40D using a Panosaurus tripod head mounted on a Manfrotto 190XB. Stitching was done using Hugin and HDR in Photomatix.

Brisbane Masonic Temple
    Brisbane Town Hall Auditorium
    Brisbane Town Hall Entrance
    St. Andrew's Uniting Church, Brisbane
    St. Paul's Church, Brisbane
    Mt. Coot Tha Tropical Dome, Brisbane
    Cheers

-Dave-

Dave..........my gosh these are just stunning :jawdrop :jawdrop :jawdrop
    Numbers #1 + #5 + #6 are my favourites, awesome stitching too clap.gif
    The lighting looks great too.

When you doing a Pano like this, especially indoors, where do you start?
    Do you start taking your shots from the brightest area that will appear in the shot?

Where do you do your light reading from?

These are amazing clap.gif :ivar .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2009
    clap.gifclapclap.gif........Beautiful..... azzaro
  • wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2009
    Love the look on these. Very optic/Escheresqe, for the lack of better words. Whatever, great work!
    Anybody can do it.
  • greenplasticdavegreenplasticdave Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited February 15, 2009
    Skippy wrote:
    Dave..........my gosh these are just stunning :jawdrop :jawdrop :jawdrop
    Numbers #1 + #5 + #6 are my favourites, awesome stitching too clap.gif
    The lighting looks great too.

When you doing a Pano like this, especially indoors, where do you start?
    Do you start taking your shots from the brightest area that will appear in the shot?

Where do you do your light reading from?

These are amazing clap.gif :ivar .... Skippy :D

Thanks folks.

To answer your question, Skippy.

I do start with the brightest area and adjust the auto-bracketed exposures till none of the three are over exposed. Sometimes I can't get three useful frames with one set of three bracketed exposures and will do several till I have enough individual images to combine and get a nice final image :) Sometimes though exposing for that bright spot will leave other darker sections underexposed. It's a lot of fun and games and fiddling about :)

2961833039_078d31fc91_o.jpg

This image of Natural arch (bridge) in Springbrook National Park, QLD is an example where I had to take about 10 separate exposures just to get one portion of the final image correct and even then i still feel there is lots of room for improvement.

Kind regards

-Dave-
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2009
    Way Coool!
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2009
    I have attempted to do a pano a few times and got nowhere. These are just awesome to say the least!
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2009
    Wow stunning !
    What lens did you use ?
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • tleetlee Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2009
    Very cool!!clap.gifclapbowdown.gifbow

T :D

www.studioTphotos.com

"Each day comes bearing its own gifts. Untie the ribbons."
    ----Ruth Ann Schubacker
    edited February 16, 2009
    Wow stunning !
    What lens did you use ?

Thanks

I used the Canon 17-85mm

Cheers

-Dave-
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    Wow. Stunning. :jawdrop:whew
    Michael
  • DeuceFourDeuceFour Registered Users Posts: 350 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009

Cheers

-Dave-

WOW!! These are very cool!! And thanks for sharing your technique!! Greatly Appreciated!
  • mushymushy Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    Everyone of these is just dramatic! Very well done under what looks like very interesting and differing lighting conditions accross the room.
    Any chance of a tutorial or a run down on where to start and the process you use?
    I take plenty of pano's (mainly outdoors) but have never had much luck with a full 360.
    May I take your picture?
    edited February 17, 2009
    mushy wrote:
    Everyone of these is just dramatic! Very well done under what looks like very interesting and differing lighting conditions accross the room.
    Any chance of a tutorial or a run down on where to start and the process you use?
    I take plenty of pano's (mainly outdoors) but have never had much luck with a full 360.

Thanks everyone.

I start usually by finding the rough centre of the room and place the tripod down there. I take three exposures at each position for HDR or exposure blending later on. Working at the 17mm end of the lens (Wider would be better but it's all I've got right now) I take a level shot, one down as far as I can go and still have overlap with the previous shot and then one tilted up also with overlap. Then I return the camera to level and rotate right (you could go left but I'm right handed so...) still making sure there is overlap with the previous frame and repeat the three shots. Once at the computer I chuck everything at Hugin and let it do its work. On rare occasions Hugin stuffs it up and I can't work out why. When that happens sometimes I'll 'HDR' the shots first then feed them through Hugin again or try using a different stitching program like PTGui.

That's pretty much the gist of it all.

Please feel free to ask anymore questions.

Regards

-Dave-
  • mushymushy Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2009
    Thanks everyone.

I start usually by finding the rough centre of the room and place the tripod down there. I take three exposures at each position for HDR or exposure blending later on. Working at the 17mm end of the lens (Wider would be better but it's all I've got right now) I take a level shot, one down as far as I can go and still have overlap with the previous shot and then one tilted up also with overlap. Then I return the camera to level and rotate right (you could go left but I'm right handed so...) still making sure there is overlap with the previous frame and repeat the three shots. Once at the computer I chuck everything at Hugin and let it do its work. On rare occasions Hugin stuffs it up and I can't work out why. When that happens sometimes I'll 'HDR' the shots first then feed them through Hugin again or try using a different stitching program like PTGui.

That's pretty much the gist of it all.

Please feel free to ask anymore questions.

Regards

-Dave-

Thanks heaps for the run-down on your process, I'm definitely going to get out and give it a go somewhere. The only problem I'm having is making Hugin work? is it a complicated program to get running or am I just missing something.
    I downloaded the latest version but only get an error when I try and run it headscratch.gif
    May I take your picture?
    edited February 18, 2009
    mushy wrote:
    Thanks heaps for the run-down on your process, I'm definitely going to get out and give it a go somewhere. The only problem I'm having is making Hugin work? is it a complicated program to get running or am I just missing something.
    I downloaded the latest version but only get an error when I try and run it headscratch.gif

I find Hugin to be very straight forward so if you're getting an error it's probably something that's upsetting the application itself. Check the forums at http://www.tawbaware.com/forum2/ People mainly discuss PTGui there but you'll find lots of threads about Hugin too.

Make sure you have all the plugins like autopanosift, enblend, enfuse and all that good stuff. If I recall, everything in the latest version is included...not sure though.

Regards

-Dave-