Colorful Snoqualmie Sunset

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited February 17, 2009 in Landscapes
Took these on Wednesday as I noticed there were some interesting clouds and a potential for a good sunset (I've been taking my gear into work every day and "excusing myself" for an hour or two if the light has potential). When the sun starts setting later (and rising earlier) in the day I'll be able to expand my turf a bit, but I'm fortunate I can reach places like this within 30 minutes.

#1: Mt. Washington (I think).

473597794_pzq9z-L.jpg

#2: These trees were a brilliant gold for about 10 minutes until the sun sunk too low.

473598550_Kn5BY-L.jpg

#3: Clouds over Mt. Si

473599380_SU2Da-L.jpg

#4: This might be my all time favorite Snoqualmie Falls shot. Usually I get there after the sun has set as it's a much easier exposure, this time I got there a little bit earlier, I was able to piece this together with a 3-stop GND and three exposures (taken at 16mm, my new favorite focal length). The middle exposure version is OK, but the merged version has more details in the clouds and trees in the upper right.

473638222_REaoW-L.jpg

#5: Obligatory B&W shot...

473603476_zxTHW-L.jpg

Comments

• justMEjustME Registered Users Posts: 209 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2009
    These are just stunning. I'm partial to the B&W, Great tones. clap.gif
    Canon EOS 30D & 50D
    Arizona, USA
    http://justineolson.smugmug.com/

..........................................................................................
  • scolescole Registered Users Posts: 378 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2009
    Ron, the only one that strikes a chord with me is #2. I like the light in the trees (as well as the light band on the BG mtns) and its reflection duplicated on the water's surface.
  • ali79ali79 Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited February 15, 2009
    You take some beautiful pictures, Great work as always clap.gif
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2009
    Great as usual loved the bw
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2009
    4 AND 5 are superb. GND + Photomatix wings.gifclap.gif
  • AbiciriderbackAbiciriderback Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2009
    Very nice series Ron really like #2 and #4 great lighting and comps.

Ray Still
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    4 AND 5 are superb. GND + Photomatix wings.gifclap.gif

Yep! And also some Vivesa for local contrast and brightness adjustments. I have so much photo software now that I think I can sell my camera and not even have to go outside anymore...
    edited February 16, 2009
    Thanks for the comments and feedback everyone :D
  • pillmanpillman Registered Users Posts: 821 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    NICE JOB ! Have to go with the B&W. Nice
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    Love the magical light that you always get! And the crown of clouds around the mountains. Man, gotta love mountains and their love affairs with the fluffiness. :D
    edited February 16, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    Love the magical light that you always get! And the crown of clouds around the mountains. Man, gotta love mountains and their love affairs with the fluffiness. :D

Love that new avatar lol3.gif

And yes, it is interesting how mountains seem to hug the clouds, even little ones like 4,000 ft. Mt. Si. Rainier (14,000 ft.) is even more clingy (so much so that none of her cloud relationships last more than a few hours before the clouds get tired of it and leave).
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    #2 is really nice, the warm light is just fantastic. The b/w's, esp the first, are great.

Sorry to have gotten you hooked on Viveza and Silver. I'll give the great outdoors your regards. rolleyes1.gif
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited February 16, 2009
    Great shots as usual, Ron. bowdown.gif

The B&W falls shot has a lot of punch. But I'm digging the color version better. I'll bet that would look great printed big and hung on the wall.

Regards,
    -joel
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    Great shots! I was up at the falls the other day, but nothing like that kind of light was available. Makes me want summer to hurry up and come around! LoL
    edited February 16, 2009
    bryanj87 wrote:
    #2 is really nice, the warm light is just fantastic. The b/w's, esp the first, are great.

Sorry to have gotten you hooked on Viveza and Silver. I'll give the great outdoors your regards. rolleyes1.gif

Thanks, now that my wallet is significantly lighter if I do venture outside it won't take quite as much energy :D
    edited February 16, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Great shots as usual, Ron. bowdown.gif

The B&W falls shot has a lot of punch. But I'm digging the color version better. I'll bet that would look great printed big and hung on the wall.

Regards,
    -joel

Thanks Joel, that's my favorite of the series as well. I've never been able to keep the skies under control at sunset at this spot, there was just enough clouds that I was able to get away with it with a GND filter (Viveza also helped as it let me get some more details in the part that would previously had been blown out).

Here's the original "middle" exposure for comparison:

473602149_sguS7-L.jpg
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    WOW,
    That last shot is fantastic.
  • Roaddog 52Roaddog 52 Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    Great images all, but the one of the falls is one of the best I have seen from that vantage point. I really like your choice of lens and the composition.
    I don't know where I'm goin, but I'm goin anyway.
  • scottVscottV Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2009
  • euchretobineuchretobin Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited February 17, 2009
    #2 and #5 are my favs. #2 for the closeness of contrasting elements, subtle yet rich colors, and lack of distracting elements. I prefer #5 over #4 as the BW looks so clean, and moving the composition to the left removes the little piece of blurred water in the lower right of #4. For some reason that patch of white distracted me. Great shots, thanks for sharing!

-Paul
    Photos by Paul: http://euchre.smugmug.com
    Nikon digital plus Canon FD for nostalgia :thumb