Options

more LR ?s

ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
edited February 15, 2009 in Finishing School
Now I'm finally getting into doing some actual editing in LR. (I still don't have the export stuff figured out, but I'll come back to that in a bit.)

If I've loaded 1:1 previews in addition to the standard ones upon download, why does it still hesitate and say "loading" when I scroll through my filmstrip?

Why, when it shows up as I scroll through my filmstrip, does the photo seem to experience some sort of adjustment? I'm working on a series of photos, some are indoors and some are outdoors. The "adjustment" seems to only happen on the outdoor photos. I hit the right arrow, the photo shows up, it says "loading..." and then it gets brighter and the whole histogram shifts a bit to the right. This happens even if I haven't done any tweaking to the photo yet. As far as I know, I don't have anything set to do any auto adjustments. Is this just the photo adjusting to the LR colorspace, every time I bring it up? All the playing around with it I've done over the last couple of days, I've never noticed this until tonight when I started to actually work on some stuff.

I am working on a calibrated monitor. However, I am worried about all these colorspaces and different programs and exporting to JPEG and getting accurate prints and showing nicely on the web. AHHHH!
Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography

Comments

• Options
    Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2009
    I have this exact same issue. I don't know what it is. I believe, like you say, it is just adjusting to LR's colorspace. If you scroll down to the bottom in the camera profile section, there is a drop down menu that says "Adobe Standard". Play around with the different options. For all my outdoor photos (where I noticed this problem first as well) I switched it to "Camera Landscape"...and MY what an improvement. Color, contrast, hue, saturation...all how they were supposed to be, as I took the photo. I posted a thread on this here awhile back and couldn't figure it out. The only thing I've seen yet to "fix" it is adjust the camera profile as I stated after the import. I've noticed playing around with this also helps greatly on many portrait and indoor shots as well, but I think the biggest improvement on the outdoor landscape type photos.

Anyways, hope it helps.
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2009
    Thanks for linking to your thread. That was an interesting read, although I'm not sure I absorbed it all! I'm using LR 1.4, so I'm not sure the Camera Calibration stuff looks quite the same. When I look at that section, I can't select Profile and my only choice under Embedded is...Embedded. In the Develop drop-down menu, I see Set Default Settings... which says:

Change the default settings used by Lightroom and Camera Raw for negative files with the following properties?

Format: PSD (this one's been taken into CS3)
    Make: Canon
    Model: Canon EOS 40D
    ISO Speed Rating: ISO 200
    (This stuff varies, depending on the image.)

Please note that these changes are not undoable.

(The buttons choices are then):
    Restore Adobe Default Settings
    OR
    Update to Current Settings
    OR
    Cancel.

Anyway, I'm kinda scared to do something that's not undoable! I'm really liking so many things about LR. I really wish the develop portion would just come together!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2009
    You should really look into LR2. It's very nice. My only complaint about it so far is it's NR capabilities, or lack there of. It's amazing though.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2009
    Elaine wrote:
    Now I'm finally getting into doing some actual editing in LR. (I still don't have the export stuff figured out, but I'll come back to that in a bit.)

If I've loaded 1:1 previews in addition to the standard ones upon download, why does it still hesitate and say "loading" when I scroll through my filmstrip?

Why, when it shows up as I scroll through my filmstrip, does the photo seem to experience some sort of adjustment? I'm working on a series of photos, some are indoors and some are outdoors. The "adjustment" seems to only happen on the outdoor photos. I hit the right arrow, the photo shows up, it says "loading..." and then it gets brighter and the whole histogram shifts a bit to the right. This happens even if I haven't done any tweaking to the photo yet. As far as I know, I don't have anything set to do any auto adjustments. Is this just the photo adjusting to the LR colorspace, every time I bring it up? All the playing around with it I've done over the last couple of days, I've never noticed this until tonight when I started to actually work on some stuff.

I am working on a calibrated monitor. However, I am worried about all these colorspaces and different programs and exporting to JPEG and getting accurate prints and showing nicely on the web. AHHHH!

LR has a "default" interpretation of your RAW image and that is what it wants to show you before you have made any adjustments. The normal process of importing into LR is that it reads your image, adds it to it's database and then schedules it for rendering into it's cache in the background. If you let it finish it's rendering into the cache, then the next time you want to view that unadjusted RAW file, it reads the image from it's cache and shows you that version fairly quickly. If however, you don't let it finish creating the cached images or the image gets flushed out of the cache for some reason (it is just a cache so things don't stay in there forever), then the next time you want to view that image, it has to read the image, create it's default rendering of the image and then show that to you.

Because LR knows that this may take a second or two to create the default LR rendering of the image, it tries to show you "something" before that. The "something" is likely coming from the JPEG that is embedded in the RAW file by the camera. That JPEG is the camera's idea of a default rendering for the RAW file which will be different than LR's idea of a default rendering. Thus, when there is no cached LR version, you get the camera version first, then the LR version. On subsequent loads of that image, the LR version should then be in the cache and you should not continue to see something different first. If you do, then perhaps something is wrong with your cache.

LR also has an [X] Auto Adjustment feature. If that is on, it may also be doing an auto adjustment for you. I turn that off right away, but that could also be contributing to what you see.

1:1 previews are large so they still take some amount of time to load from cache. This is a case where smaller previews will load faster. You will probably find that previews load faster in the Library module than they do in the Development module. That's presumably because in the Library module, all you are doing is viewing whereas in the Development module, they are loading everything they would need to do a full-blown edit of the image. For this reason, if I want to do fast browsing and selection, I make sure to switch to the Library view. I find it annoying that Library and Develop are modal and I even have to think about which mode, but that's the way they've coded it for now.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question