Your thoughts, comments and critiques please?

jandrewnelsonjandrewnelson Registered Users Posts: 300 Major grins
edited February 16, 2009 in People
I took this photo a couple months ago of my fiance, Elizabeth, and her dog Willie. Elizabeth is the Hospitality Co-ordinator here at Koinonia Farm and this picture is being used by the farm in some of our marketing.

441054273_AZFAi-L-6.jpg

Thanks in advance for your help!
Jerry
Koinonia Farm
Americus, GA

Comments

• JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2009
    This is a great photo, however, the lettering doesn't do much for me. I would replace it with black font, and find a place where it won't get swallowed by the background. I'd also like to see a "punchier" B&W conversion. I don't know though, this one looks good.
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • jandrewnelsonjandrewnelson Registered Users Posts: 300 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2009
    Justiceiro wrote:
    This is a great photo, however, the lettering doesn't do much for me. I would replace it with black font, and find a place where it won't get swallowed by the background. I'd also like to see a "punchier" B&W conversion. I don't know though, this one looks good.

The lettering is my watermark. Suggested by someone else in antoher forum. Now for what may appear to be a stupid question. What do you mean by "punchier" and how would I best achieve it? BTW, I use GIMP.

Thanks and blessings
    Jerry Nelson
    Koinonia Farm
  • FlutistFlutist Registered Users Posts: 704 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2009
    The lettering is my watermark. Suggested by someone else in antoher forum. Now for what may appear to be a stupid question. What do you mean by "punchier" and how would I best achieve it? BTW, I use GIMP.

Thanks and blessings
    Jerry Nelson
    Koinonia Farm

A watermark can be a good idea for protecting your images. However, if you have a nice B&W conversion, a bright red watermark is rather distracting from the photo. Maybe reduce the opacity of your watermark if you require that it be red. I change the color of my watermark depending on the makeup of the image. Usually I will use black writing on a B&W photo at about 50% opacity. You can see it, but it does not detract from what you should be looking at.
    ~Shannon~

Canon 50D, Rebel XTi,Canon 24-105L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430EX
    www.sbrownphotography.smugmug.com
    my real job
    looking for someone to photograph my wedding 8/11
  • JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009

Thanks and blessings
    Jerry Nelson
    Koinonia Farm

By punchier I was thinking of boosting the contrast to make it look sharper, or making your "blacks" look "blacker." I'm not sure if that's a good idea though, the softness of the photo is appealing to some degree as well, so I would like to see them side by side. I officially suck at photoshop, so I usually do all that sort of thing in Lightroom, and GIMP is a word unknown to me.

However, once long ago I came across a tutorial on B&W conversion here that was fantastic. I think it was Andy's. Does anybody ales have that link? I couldn't find it.
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • jandrewnelsonjandrewnelson Registered Users Posts: 300 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    Justiceiro wrote:
    By punchier I was thinking of boosting the contrast to make it look sharper, or making your "blacks" look "blacker." I'm not sure if that's a good idea though, the softness of the photo is appealing to some degree as well, so I would like to see them side by side. I officially suck at photoshop, so I usually do all that sort of thing in Lightroom, and GIMP is a word unknown to me.

However, once long ago I came across a tutorial on B&W conversion here that was fantastic. I think it was Andy's. Does anybody ales have that link? I couldn't find it.

Thanks!