Ok, I'll take the plunge (MC3)

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited February 19, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Gahhhhh.............. So totally out of my depth. :huh:yikes:noob:hide

Struggling, to say the least!

Here's what I've come up with so far. I feel like I'm grasping at straws but... worth pursuing?

This was the best of the full moon shots I grabbed last week (yes, it really was that orange- was amazing!) and yesterday when I saw a friend's cat it occurred to me his eyes were almost the same colour. (Of course, none of the shots of him had BOTH eyes open, so I had to PS his right eye from a different shot making this complicated right from the get-go. Cats are really NOT cooperative subjects!!!!)

I'm hoping I can get a better star trail shot at some point this week - this is a first attempt at that which just isn't very good. And even that's complicated because we have oodles of light spill around here (plus I can't really leave the camera unattended plus it's been COLD!)
Whinewhinewhinepoormewhinewhine :tough:rofl:rofl

Anyway, thoughts? Work on this, or toss it and start from scratch? I can't even decide at this point whether to mask out his ears and leave just his face in the moon, or fade him more or make him more present or let him be more catlike an less opaque or....

Like I said at the top gaahhhhhhh.....:huh:rofl Help me out of my misery!

474014730_uHK4P-L.jpg

Comments

• Velvet-ArtVelvet-Art Registered Users Posts: 292 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Gahhhhh.............. So totally out of my depth. eek7.gifyikesyelrotflmao.gifhide

Struggling, to say the %

Here's what I've come up with so far. I feel like I'm grasping at straws but... worth pursuing?

This was the best of the full moon shots I grabbed last week (yes, it really was that orange- was amazing!) and yesterday when I saw a friend's cat it occurred to me his eyes were almost the same colour. (Of course, none of the shots of him had BOTH eyes open, so I had to PS his right eye from a different shot making this complicated right from the get-go. Cats are really NOT cooperative subjects!!!!)

I'm hoping I can get a better star trail shot at some point this week - this is a first attempt at that which just isn't very good. And even that's complicated because we have oodles of light spill around here (plus I can't really leave the camera unattended plus it's been COLD!)
    Whinewhinewhinepoormewhinewhine :toughrolleyes1.gifrofl

Anyway, thoughts? Work on this, or toss it and start from scratch? I can't even decide at this point whether to mask out his ears and leave just his face in the moon, or fade him more or make him more present or let him be more catlike an less opaque or....

Like I said at the top gaahhhhhhh.....eek7.gifrofl Help me out of my misery!

474014730_uHK4P-L.jpg

I like the shot, but the lack of ears on the cat kinda freaks me out a bit.

I do love the color of the moon though, that is a lovely shot. Maybe you could add in some longer star trails from another shoot?

Congrats on getting through to the Mega Challenge.

Tim
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2009
    That is really creative!! (( expect no less!)

I think you need to do more work on it - maybe show less fur and more moon. It needs some punch despite the lovely colors. The picture overall looks a bit muddy, on my monitor at least. And there is a sort of flare at the top left that distracts.

The idea of getting star trails is good and may be possible with good weather coming and the absence of the bright moon. Or maybe adding an interesting horizon at the bottom Viewers need a context to realize they are looking at the moon (and not just a glass globe with a kitty face squished in it, for instance) in order to fully appreciate and enjoy the concept.

I really like where this is going.

Virginia

PS I just had a brainstorm - for a foreground you might add the cat bathed in (fake) moonlight looking up at the cat face in the moon.

See what a fun idea you have?

Email
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2009
    Velvet-Art wrote:
    I like the shot, but the lack of ears on the cat kinda freaks me out a bit.

I do love the color of the moon though, that is a lovely shot. Maybe you could add in some longer star trails from another shoot?

Congrats on getting through to the Mega Challenge.

Tim

It's clear right now so if tonight doesn't cloud over, I'll brave the elements and have another crack at some trails. I just wish I could set it and leave it but, while our suburban neighbourhood is pretty safe by city standards I do NOT think I can just walk away and trust that it would be there in teh morning. Ah well - put on the parka! Brrrrrrr.... :oogle
    edited February 15, 2009
    Flyinggina wrote:
    That is really creative!! (( expect no less!)

I think you need to do more work on it - maybe show less fur and more moon. It needs some punch despite the lovely colors. The picture overall looks a bit muddy, on my monitor at least. And there is a sort of flare at the top left that distracts.

The idea of getting star trails is good and may be possible with good weather coming and the absence of the bright moon. Or maybe adding an interesting horizon at the bottom Viewers need a context to realize they are looking at the moon (and not just a glass globe with a kitty face squished in it, for instance) in order to fully appreciate and enjoy the concept.

I really like where this is going.

Virginia

PS I just had a brainstorm - for a foreground you might add the cat bathed in (fake) moonlight looking up at the cat face in the moon.

See what a fun idea you have?

That flare is actually an low opacity ear :D

I like your PS idea - i just have to see if I can get any more pix of Fritz (he's not ours. He's also quite shy so it was amazing he stuck around for pictures as long as he did last night!). None of the ones I' got last night were full body shots, so we'll see.... ::muses::

I'll see if I can get any more star trails this week - somehow i feel that's the key to the whole thing (I may be completely wrong, of course, but heck - at least I'll have learned how to shoot star trails by the time it's all over. Or how to catch pneumonia rolleyes1.gif)

Thanks folks - not sure if this one will play out in the end, but it's all I've got at the moment so I may as well see how far it goes!
    edited February 15, 2009
    Ughhhh... like clockwork the clouds rolled in at nightfall - not a chance for any more stars. But I was in Must. Shoot.Something. mode, so I did this instead.

Thoughts? I'm feeling very inept this round :cry

"After Lights Out"
    474448104_uUecP-L.jpg
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2009
    That's how I felt the last night of the full moon. I went out and looked up at a solid wall of clouds. :cry

I love the story of your second concept much better (but we all know I'm a sucker for story shots :D). The nearly blown-out corner of the book pulls too much attention away from her face for me. I know some similar images were created in contests past, so I would browse the predecessors to ensure your take on the idea presents something new to really wow the judges.

For your first idea, take a gander at Zanotti's "brick" post over in the People foum. I think something like that could make the moon look really creepy-cool.

Best of luck! thumb.gif
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2009
    I like your second take much better. The cat in the moon was just OK but here you have a nice story line and good material to work with. I agree with Kerry's comment about the blown out corner of the book. I think the lighting on your daughter's face is quite nice. Another thought is to get a shot of her asleep...I'll let your creative mind do the rest. mwink.gifrofl
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2009
    I prefer the second shot. I've found my daughter's in that position on so many nights. Although I don't like them up past bedtime, there's something really sweet about having an avid reader. I also think the shot was nicely executed. The cat/moon looked like you were trying too hard and not quite getting there. It has potential, and you should definitely keep trying new and creative things, but your current area of strength seems to be in capturing people.

I was a little relieved that I didn't qualify for the mega challenge. But I did develop some cool ideas to try (now at my leisure since I don't have that deadline), and it pushed me to get out there a few nights ago and attempt a night shoot. I knew I'd be completely out of my league trying a landscape or moon shot, so I was prepared to go the people route.

Caroline
  • Karrie McDKarrie McD Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    The first shot is very cool but I have to "vote" for the 2nd shot. I like the realness of it.
    "Whether you think you can or you can't, you are right."
    edited February 16, 2009
    Thanks everybody! I kinda like the 2nd idea too, although I thought it was perhaps a bit banal for this. That said, maybe perhaps better to do "simple" with at least minor competence than "complicated and over-my-head" really badly.... :D:D

Oh, and Linda - the shoot began with some "sleeping" shots:

474929397_LyRAC-L.jpg

I like the idea, but wasn't sold on the lighting/execution and couldn't figure out how to fix it headscratch.gif

Back to the under-the-covers: I went and read up on LAB adjustment, so I think I got that bright patch at least toned down a little. Is this any better?

474923280_46PZR-L.jpg

And a couple of other treatments for it

474923296_S2jhA-L.jpg

474923290_sSuQC-L.jpg
    edited February 16, 2009
    For lighting -- think along the lines of "low key". deal.gif You've achieved that in #1 with regard to the lighing on your daughter. Don't care for the treatment in #2. I'd stay with straight color or the B&W.

You did get the bright patch toned down, but now I find myself looking at the white circle instead. Oy! rolleyes1.gif

How about reshooting that one so the light is not facing the camera lens?
    edited February 16, 2009
    White circle as in the flashlight, or as in the circle of light under it?

And yeah, getting her to hold the pose so I knew where the flashlight was going to be and could situate the actual flash accordingly was the hard part... rolleyes1.gif
    edited February 16, 2009
    White circle, as in the flashlight itself.
    edited February 16, 2009
    I like number 1. I like the color better than the black and white.
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    2 is great
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • GrlyGrly Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    Another vote for #2 here. Great job!
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited February 17, 2009
    I feel your stuggle as I stuggle with this theme too! I like the either 2 or 3 of the girl with the flashlight.
    edited February 17, 2009
    Thanks everybody. I'm hoping to try a reshoot of this later in the week and may have one more completely different idea to try (if the weather behaves on Friday) but at least y'all don't think this one is a complete waste of time. I know I'm not in the running for the prize against all these folks so that's not my concern, I just don't want to be out there as the "embarrassment" entry who got in by accident!!!!

Pass the wall, will you Joyce? :bash
    edited February 17, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    I just don't want to be out there as the "embarrassment" entry who got in by accident!!!!

rolleyes1.gif That was me on MC2....it wasn't that bad... I just blocked it from my mind... rolleyes1.gif

You'll do great... you always have wonderful work!!!
    edited February 17, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    I know I'm not in the running for the prize against all these folks so that's not my concern, I just don't want to be out there as the "embarrassment" entry who got in by accident!!!!

+1

I like both of your ideas a lot. I hope you will play with the kitty in the moon photo, even if not for this challenge.

Of the reading in bed one, #2 for me. I think you might want to try darkening the flashlight/page just a tad more so that the eye is drawn first to the face. Or do another take and reposition the flashlight so you don't have a bright round circle grabbing the eye first. Or enter it as is. Sometimes we over think these things! The photo radiates a homey, warm and fuzzy feel of childhood. Hard to argue with that.

Virginia

Email
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    474923296_S2jhA-M.jpg

this works with methumb.gif but i am just one opinion....
    Aaron Nelson
    edited February 18, 2009
    "Stealth Reading: The Reshoot"

Still not 100% sold on this idea (I like it, but it still seems so... so... prosaic and banal for a MC), but i figured I'd better pursue this in case my idea for Friday night is rained/snowed/logistic-ed out of existence or simply doesn't work at all.

Here are three more variations on a theme - what do y'all think?

476458140_mLNiy-M.jpg

476458129_WHcCg-M.jpg

3a

476457688_aF6g5-M.jpg

3b
    476457486_L2FtX-M.jpg

4a
    476458112_ynhaa-M.jpg

4b
    476457940_Ufqfw-M.jpg
  • sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2009
    #1 is my favorite of the last group... but needs some more "pop"??? (something anyway):D
    edited February 19, 2009
    #1 is the one for me too, the only niggle I have is the bright spot on the top of the right page, my eye keeps getting drawn to it.

For a bit of "pop", try usm 15%, 180radius, 0 on the others.

Tim
  • MikeKMikeK Registered Users Posts: 227 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2009
    OK, I'll be different. I like #2, it conveys more to me. The pages in #1 being that amount out of focus bothers me. Perhaps its because you can't see her face and thus there is nothing to 'focus' on myself. And the spot at top right from the real light source. In #2 the pages are out of focus, but it OK with me because her face is the primary focal point. I like the concept, keep with it!
    edited February 19, 2009
    OMG!!! #1!!!!! clap.gif Just crop the photo from the top to get rid of that bright spot. mwink.gif

I also agree about it needing a bit more "pop" though. Tim's USM suggestion was a good one. You can also try a USM setting of 20/50/0 to see how that works. More information on that and other ways to add some pop can be found here: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/contrast-enhancement.shtml
    edited February 19, 2009
    Thanks guys. I realise now that I uploaded the wrong copy of #1 - I think that's the unedited, unprocessed file rolleyes1.gif Which of course explains the flat look and the light ring at the top of the page! Talk about 11doh.gif

Anyway, here are two different treatments of #1. Thoughts?

476789841_oVDMR-L.jpg

476789848_Px9hB-L.jpg

Btw, there is NO chance of a reshoot on this (I'd love the circle of light to be only on one page, for instnace). This shot required me to be straddling the child, both of us under the blanket and poor little thing got bumped by the camera a few times in the process - I've definitely used up her patience for this!!!!! She was a real trooper, I have to give it to her thumb.gif
    edited February 19, 2009
    divamum wrote:

476789841_oVDMR-L.jpg

Defo this one.

Tim
    edited February 19, 2009
    edited February 19, 2009
    Me too. I like the color version best. This is a wonderful shot that really captures childhood. A keeper for sure, whether you enter it or not.

Still longing for the cat in the moon though. iloveyou.gif I can just hear my kitties purring "I told you so.....!!"

Virginia

Email