Girls BB

wmstummewmstumme Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
edited February 17, 2009 in Sports
Haven't posted in a few weeks, so I guess it's my turn. Here are some from my daughter's rec league game.

473715206_PCmoK-M-1.jpg

473716562_EY7oh-M-1.jpg

473715573_qJZYS-M-1.jpg

473715771_fDGi8-M-1.jpg

473717495_y6Eem-M-1.jpg
Regards

Will

Comments

• jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2009
    They look a little underexposed on my monitor, but they look sharp and clean. Good job!
  • wmstummewmstumme Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    jonh68 wrote:
    They look a little underexposed on my monitor, but they look sharp and clean. Good job!

Thanks. Your critique is correct--which led to my question on your last post. I really need to start working with flashes/strobes. If you're using a mounted flash and bouncing off the ceiling, does that restrict you to shooting landscape? I'm shooting almost exclusively portrait--guess I'd have to get a mounting bracket to let me mount the flash at a 90 degree angle?
    Regards

Will
    wmstumme wrote:
    Thanks. Your critique is correct--which led to my question on your last post. I really need to start working with flashes/strobes. If you're using a mounted flash and bouncing off the ceiling, does that restrict you to shooting landscape? I'm shooting almost exclusively portrait--guess I'd have to get a mounting bracket to let me mount the flash at a 90 degree angle?

I usually shoot exclusively landscape, and crop for vertical. However, my SB-800, has two axis of tilting, so it's just a matter of getting to where it points up when shooting portrait. I have found you miss shots either way in regards to portrait/landscape. For layups and featuring specific players, its great to shoot portrait. If you shoot tight in landscape, you can crop for vertical.

In that gym it looks like you have nice walls surrounding the court. Bouncing off the walls is even better in regards to fill light so turning the flash backwards is something you can try to. You may have to a custom white balance though if there is coloring on the walls as this will tint the final product.
  • MDalbyMDalby Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    jonh68 wrote:
    I usually shoot exclusively landscape, and crop for vertical. However, my SB-800, has two axis of tilting, so it's just a matter of getting to where it points up when shooting portrait.

In that gym it looks like you have nice walls surrounding the court. Bouncing off the walls is even better in regards to fill light so turning the flash backwards is something you can try to. You may have to a custom white balance though if there is coloring on the walls as this will tint the final product.

I have been leary of doing this thinking that the flash might be distracting to the players if it bounces into their face from teh wall.

Is this not the case?

MD
    Nikon D4, 400 2.8 AF-I, 70-200mm 2.8 VR II, 24-70 2.8
    CBS Sports MaxPreps Shooter
    http://DalbyPhoto.com
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    I haven't had any complaints yet. You can try some during warmups and get feedback from players, but it's much better on the eyes than direct flash.
  • nipprdognipprdog Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2009
    wmstumme wrote:

I've used this when bouncing off the wall behind me;

438032694_X9Mp2-O.jpg